Frame-drops with Windows 7 & SD
Any ideas left?

BTW: Same issue with Beta3
@kronawth, Your last option I think is to switch to the Software renderer. That will unload the color conversion from the graphics card and make the CPU do it.

But it is very surprising that a 4200 is not up to the task of the bilinear scaler in the Pixel Shaders renderer.

@alexrose1uk a G210 is sufficient for all xbmc functions, so a GT220 should have no problem. As bobo1on1 mentionned this is not a realtime OS and there are no guarantees that tasks happen exactly when we need them to.
It's normal that you only see the DXVA scaler when playback is accelerated. Little motivation to change that, you can search for a thread in the dev section of the forums.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks for your feedback CrystalP. Will try and find something that repeatedly frame drops and explicitly test it with MPC-HC to see if the frame drops occur there to see if that gives any leads. I'll be honest with the spec that I've thrown at the htpc (I deliberately spent almost twice as much on a passive GT220 than a normal 210 because of the additional power if needed and passive GT210s are hard to find), and the dxva decoding, I was really suprised to be seeing dropped frames even on SD .264 mkv, I was expecting 100% smooth playback Smile

Edit: Ok, now thats left me a little frustrated, as mpc-hc can play the intro sample I used with 0 frame drops when the desktop is set to 60Hz, but when the desktop is adjusted to say 24Hz, then you see dropped frames intermittantly again, at similar points as XBMC. Reversing this, when I disable adjust refresh rate in xbmc, I get 0 frame drops in the HotD intro.

I'd thought that had solved the issue but unfortunately not, as I found some other files still get framedrop (as well as stutters/jerks without frame drop) for no reason. At first I figured perhaps this was an issue with the file itself, but low and behold MPC-HC at 60Hz plays the same segment of the file with 0 frame drops, suggesting the file itself is actually fine. Now its not a massive issue, but given how out of place the stuttering can look when the rest is smooth, its a pain in the ***.

Never simple is it...

With these findings DSPlayer would make sense in the future, but unfortunately right now it's subtitle capacities aren't up to the same level as XBMC, one of the few things that'll stop me switching, as I'd spent the cash to build a HTPC with improving subtitle quality and compatability as one of the goals.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
@CrystalP: That's just the thing. It is capable, since there is no shuttering with other players and the xbmc-live-cd.

With software rendering I get no shuttering (80% CPU load) but it is hardly an option to use it that way.

Correct me if I am wrong. Considering the tests I have made the problem is someplace within the windows xbmc-version installed on Win7, isn't it?

Is there any possibility to find out what the problem is?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frame-drops with Windows 7 & SD0