Update Library to main menu
Hello

Is it possible to add "Scan for new content" or "update library" to the main menu?

Im not interested in auto updating or anything. I would just like to be able to update when i want from the main menu.

Thanks.
this would be a skin specific feature of which no skin currently supports, at least as far as i know. the other option is to map it to a key on your remote so you can just press a button whenever you want to update.
The remote thing sounds very nice indeed. Do you know how to do this?

I have the remote that came with the Asrock 330HT ion thing.

I havent really gotten it to work with much.
mwthrane Wrote:The remote thing sounds very nice indeed. Do you know how to do this?

I have the remote that came with the Asrock 330HT ion thing.

I havent really gotten it to work with much.

There is an UpdateLibrary function, so it should be straightforward to add it to your keyboard.xml or remote.xml. What operating system are you using? If it's Windows I can help, but I have no experience of how the remote works on Linux/Live.

JR
Thanks alot!

I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64 and XBMC Dharma 2 with aeon65 skin.
There is an update library plugin that is now out. You could install it and add it to your favorites to execute whenever you wanted to. It also works by using a timer if you so wish. Give it a try.

Mark
Anything is possible, this could be used as a template:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76486
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
posted in error
mwthrane Wrote:Thanks alot!

I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64 and XBMC Dharma 2 with aeon65 skin.

Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml

If you're prompted to create a new file answer "Yes". This will open your keyboard.xml keymapping file in Notepad. Now copy and paste in:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <u>UpdateLibrary(video)</u>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Save and close Notepad. Now start XBMC and you'll find that pressing U will update the video library.

You can change the key that updates the library by editing the keyboard.xml in a fairly obvious way. You can also use control, shift and alt modifiers e.g.

<u mod="ctrl">UpdateLibrary(video)</u>

to use ctrl-U. To update the music library just replace "video" by "music" in the keyboard.xml e.g.

<u mod="ctrl,shift">UpdateLibrary(music)</u>

to make ctrl-U update the video library and ctrl-shift-U update the music library.

If you run into any problems post here.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml

If you're prompted to create a new file answer "Yes". This will open your keyboard.xml keymapping file in Notepad. Now copy and paste in:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <u>UpdateLibrary(video)</u>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Save and close Notepad. Now start XBMC and you'll find that pressing U will update the video library.

You can change the key that updates the library by editing the keyboard.xml in a fairly obvious way. You can also use control, shift and alt modifiers e.g.

to use ctrl-U. To update the music library just replace "video" by "music" in the keyboard.xml e.g.

<u mod="ctrl,shift">UpdateLibrary(music)</u>

to make ctrl-U update the video library and ctrl-shift-U update the music library.

If you run into any problems post here.

JR

Thansk for your reply! Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Will this work on my remote? There is no "u" on my remote.
mwthrane Wrote:Thansk for your reply! Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Will this work on my remote? There is no "u" on my remote.

You can change the u to any letter or number you want, and you can add/remove mods as you wish.

<u mod="ctrl">...</u>

Depending on the remote, it probably sends key presses, use showkeys.exe (google it) to find out what each remote button is sending.
That's "showkey.exe" not "showkeys.exe"! :-)

It's available from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/. As Targettio says, ShowKey will show you what keypresses your remote is sending. You don't say what model of remote control you're using, but most will work with XBMC.

JR
Uhh nice stuff Smile

I don't really know what remote it is, its the one that came with the asrock 330HT.

Thanks for your help, ill take a look at it Smile
mwthrane Wrote:Uhh nice stuff Smile

I don't really know what remote it is, its the one that came with the asrock 330HT.

Thanks for your help, ill take a look at it Smile

The Asrock remote is a full Microsoft compatible. If you install the MCERemote addon (from the Programs section) this can configure the remote to send any keypress from any button.

JR
mwthrane Wrote:Hello

Is it possible to add "Scan for new content" or "update library" to the main menu?

Im not interested in auto updating or anything. I would just like to be able to update when i want from the main menu.

Thanks.

If you want to scan a selected folder you can map any button on your remote with the "scanitem" command. Do it in the remote.xml file.

example
under the global heading
<zero>scanitem</zero>

IMO it takes too long to scan the entire library when you only need a folder or two. scanitem is far more versatile. You can select just movies or just TV shows not to mention a single show folder. It scans in about 3 seconds for a single TV show.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update Library to main menu0