Looking to get started, need some advice
Hey, I recently got a really nice HDTV and I decided it was time to convert my movie collection for use with XBMC. I have seen various posts on lifehacker about XBMC so I've been interested for a while. I want to follow this post about setting up a HTPC, but I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to.

Will streaming 1080p over Wi-Fi be possible with this setup? I have all my media on my PC and I don't have a Ethernet connection anywhere near my TV.

If I end up streaming media to the XBMC, would I be better off installing XBMC on windows on my HTPC, or will XBMC standalone be easy enough to manage?

Thanks!
HD content over wifi is not nice, 720 you can do in some cases - but 1080 rarely works. Find a way to run a cable to it.
Hi!
Welcome to the forums!

1 - No problem streaming HD content on a wireless network, but please start with N wireless adapters, AP, router or whatever. G wireless may, sometimes, lack the bandwidth for heavy HD content. I used to run a G network, but changed to N to avoid 'Buffering' messages appearing from nowhere.

2 - Try the XBMC Live Dharma Beta 2 CD. It's a cleaner, lighter, much simpler install than preparing a windows machine and then installing XBMC. Feels and looks more like a ready-to-go solution sold by a major consumer electronics. In alternative, follow this guide: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu
End result is - sort of - the same as installing XBMC Live CD.

3 - Go for NVidia GPU and ION platform (Asrock 330, Acer Revo, Zotac, etc). Less hassle.

4 - Feel free to ask any questions.

hudo
prae5 Wrote:HD content over wifi is not nice, 720 you can do in some cases - but 1080 rarely works. Find a way to run a cable to it.

With a Mac Mini and a Draytek 2820 wireless router I get between 2 and 3 MB/sec on file transfers. This is about right as I think my Mac is 54g not n so the theoretical top speed would be only 6MB/sec. Anyhow 2MB/sec is 7.2GB/hour so most 1080p should play if it's sampled at low to medium bitrates. My videos are all 720p and they all play fine.

However I agree with prae5 that CAT5e cabling is much nicer if it can be done tidily.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to get started, need some advice0