[windows] Smooth Video on Ion 720p
Hi there

I have an Acer Revo hooked up to a Sony DH800 amp via HDMI and then into a 37" Toshiba TV.

Since I can remember all videos played through Windows have had issues with a smooth playback. I am not talking about Judder but I think it's Jitter. This is where in a panning scene there is a constant ghosting effect, a bit like the video is not updating as fast as it should.

I initially thought this was my TV but when I play movies on my Xbox 360 or watch freeview, this issue does not exist.

I have updated to the latest stable graphics drivers and have tried many many different files.

The screen resolution is always 1280 x 720 and the videos I am playing are also 720p.

To try and eliminate this jitterI have tried many things including:

-Reinstalling Windows 7
-Trying a XBMC live installation
-Trying Ubuntu with XBMC installed
-Playing videos of different frame rates and resolutions
-Adjusted the display to 24hz, 50hz and 60hz.
-Played around with many XBMC settings likes Adjust Display to Refresh Rate and also Sync playback to display.

Here is a log showing a video I just tried to play now: http://pastebin.org/166421

I read on here somewhere that by pressing "o" during playback you will see some stats and that under W (the last row), the sync and error values should be stable. For me, I am finding that they are both constantly changing, Sync changes from -3 to -7% and error is always jumping from 0 to around 48.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks in advance
23.976 fps video playing with the refreshrate set at 50 hertz will do that, turn on "Adjust display refresh rate to match video".
Also, the DXVA decoder doesn't seem to be very happy.
Hi there

Thanks for that advice, I have tried what you have suggested and those two values in the W row have now disappeared and the video still seems the same. I have attached the debug log here:
http://pastebin.com/hDT4unnC

Do you have any other suggestions?
That's because you turned off sync playback to display.
You have the resolution set at 1280x720 but your tv doesn't have a 24 hertz refreshrate at that resolution, you should try 1920x1080 or whatever the native resolution of the tv is.
Hi, I've read through several posts without much luck. I figure since you seem to be an "xbmc developer" maybe you could help me. I'm having a similar issue to the post above. I'm using Dharma B2 with DXVA2 enabled to help with Quicktime and mkv files. My issue however is that this setting seems to make the video a fraction of the screen. When I turn this option off the video goes full screen but the audio sync isn't right with mkv files. I have an Acer Revo 6000 and I've tried everything I could think of. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, I even updated my drivers. I'm about to give up on Dharma, I dont want to but I dont know what ells to do.

You can find my log here-http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1721076/xbmc.log
KidVulcan:
You seem to have a dxva related issue. You could try not using true fullscreen. Ie windowed fullscreen instead. Seems the drivers are getting confused by the resolution change. Non the less, this is the wrong thread for it. Post/Search in dxva2 related threads
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi there

My TV doesnt natively support 24hz, from understanding that would introduce judder. I am getting stutters not judder.

I have changed the screen resolution to 1920x1080 and also changed the refresh rate to the native TV one which is 60hz. I also tried using 50hz but I am still getting these annoying stutters.

http://pastebin.com/2wGkfauL shows the log. I tried many different configurations. Do you think the ION is not capable of playing videos stutter free?

When I say stutter I mean very small micro stutters, not obvious ones. Especially apparant during the panning scenes or when I vertical object moves horizontally across the screen.

Thanks
You could try dsplayer with reclock set your tv to 50hz, and in reclock lock 25fps & select pal speedown.
That should take care of your problem with 23.976 / 24p
Hi Gav

It's definately improved! However when I choose 25fps and lock it in, the pal speedown tickbox becomes greyed out. Is that ok?
gurmukh Wrote:My TV doesnt natively support 24hz, from understanding that would introduce judder. I am getting stutters not judder.

Your tv seems to disagree on that.
I am able to set 24hz as a refresh rate but looking around on other forums, it seems that it is not natively supported and just does a pulldown on the image to bring it up to 50hz or 60hz (not sure which one)
gurmukh Wrote:Hi Gav

It's definately improved! However when I choose 25fps and lock it in, the pal speedown tickbox becomes greyed out. Is that ok?

Yea it will be greyed out just tick pal speedown before you lock framrate Wink your problem is because your tv does not support 24p.
I used to have the same problem with my old tv .
Thanks, have done!

I have been reading around for a while now and it seems that micro stuttering only affects a few people. Do you know how I can totally eliminate micro stuttering?

Im happy to change my htpc setup if it means smooth playback.

thanks
You can turn on sync playback to display with sync method set to resample to get the same thing.
Doesn't work with passthrough yet though.
So your using dsplayer with tv set to 50hz using dxva with either mpvideocodec or ffdshow? Have you tried MPC using its internal filters with reclock just to check how playback is ?
Btw reclock has vsync slider you can experiment with that may help im not sure.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[windows] Smooth Video on Ion 720p0