[windows] Smooth Video on Ion 720p
Hi

I had dsplayer setup to use ffdshow and ensured that dxva2 was enabled.

When trying with MPC-HC, I have tried with FFDShow as well as the internal filters. It seems that no matter what I try, I always get the micro stutter.

Do you think it could be driver related?
Have you tried what bobo1on1 just suggested ?
have you another pc to try on ? also there are other options in reclock you could try too.
Try without plugged into receiver try to eliminate any possible conflicts
Hi Gav

I tried his suggestion earlier on on page 1. It was one of the first things I've tried. Looking at other suggestions, I have tried with analogue, even muting the audio (by disabling the audio driver) and still I'm getting the micro stutter.

To ensure it's not the video, I've tried on a few different sources but still no joy :-(

My understanding is reclock is the same as xbmc's sync playback to display?
Yes it basically the same just a few more tweakable options. Im all out of ideas to be honest one other thing i can think of is use fullscreen in xbmc or if your feeling lucky have a play with powerstrip it may help to try a custom refreshrate or timings, you have to be careful though. I tried it once before but it was a long time ago.
http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
The stutters can also be present in the video itself, in that case there's nothing you can do about it.
Is there a way to verify if the video source is dodgy? I'm guessing maybe playing it back at a very slow rate to see if there a dodgy frames?
There's no easy way for that, but if the file is the problem, the stutters will always occur at the same time.
OK thanks for that.

I'm having problems with the display information when you press "o". It seems that the sync and the error values are again fluctuating lots and lots!

I have the screen res set to 1024 x 720 and 50hz. And both adjust display and adjust playback are both also checked. The video being played is 24p.

http://pastebin.com/5iFdKsqU
gurmukh Wrote:Is there a way to verify if the video source is dodgy? I'm guessing maybe playing it back at a very slow rate to see if there a dodgy frames?

It may not even be the file. Have you tried alternative software to see if you get issues there too?
I've discovered that I've got some files which will framedrop at predictable places even with the display set to 60Hz under XBMC, but switch over to MPC-HC set to 60Hz instead and the framedrops are gone (unfortunately with the display set at the supposed framerate of 24hz, frame drops creep back in again, but given they play perfectly when set to 60Hz, that would seem to be an issue somewhere else). Now you could argue thats a bad file/some damaged frames, but if its not being exhibited with other playback software, then either XBMC/FFMPEG is perhaps less tolerant of such issues, or the fault lies elsewhere, and is infact some sort of compatibility/file handling issue.
I've seen other wierd freezes without framedrops in some files that other players dont exhibit either, which suggests that XBMC/FFMPEG or the renderer aren't perhaps as compatible with the full range of encodes (both poor and good) that we'd like.

Personally Im looking forward to DSPlayer reaching maturity. The simplicity reminds me why I had a media streamer before a HTPC!

Please note thats not me being derogatory towards XBMC, I think it's an amazing project, its just a little rough round the edges in some departments, still highly impressive though. It seems from looking around it can be very hard to get a HTPC media solution that 'just works' with everything Smile
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
gurmukh Wrote:OK thanks for that.

I'm having problems with the display information when you press "o". It seems that the sync and the error values are again fluctuating lots and lots!

I have the screen res set to 1024 x 720 and 50hz. And both adjust display and adjust playback are both also checked. The video being played is 24p.

http://pastebin.com/5iFdKsqU

You need to disable ac3 and dts capable receiver, and set the sync method to resample to get the speedup to 25 fps, the reason that the error value is jumping is because it's playing 23.976 fps video with the refreshrate at 50 hertz.
Thanks Bobo I will try that and report back.

Alex, I agree with what you are saying. It seems that there isnt a guaranteed 100% working solution for playback on TV devices that I have come across. I

I have tried many players such as VLC, MPC-HC, WMP, have also tried reclock with lots of different settings. Have tried disabling audio, changing the display, doing a reformat etc etc Still no joy!

Was thinking about getting a dedicated media player, hoping the micro stuttering would disappear but I dont know 100% before purchasing one. Are there any issues with XBMC on Mac Mini/Apple TV?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[windows] Smooth Video on Ion 720p0