• 8(current)
Got my foxconn nt 330i, now what?
FYI

Found a new use for the box, probably put 4gb of ram to better use...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.p...pic=239382

330i is now a "hack mini"Laugh
handonam Wrote:I just need a good torrent app and a way to control the computer from windows, and I should be set.

Pretty sure you can add Transmission from the XBMC app repo for torrents. SSH via Putty or use one of the XBMC web interfaces (also in the repo)... I mean, unless you want the full interface. Then I'd look into a VNC ubuntu package... but idk much about ubuntu.
sebj Wrote:FYI

Found a new use for the box, probably put 4gb of ram to better use...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.p...pic=239382

330i is now a "hack mini"Laugh

Did you actually do hackintosh it? I was toying with the idea. Would love to hear your experience (maybe not in this thread though).
For those looking to do a fool-proof ubuntu 1080p install (with working flash), here's some stuff for you guys:

Ubuntu
1. Install Nvidia drivers that are around version 260+ (like this one). This can be done by
-a. closing the gdm
Quote:sudo etc/init.d/gdm stop

-b. running the nvidia .run file.
Quote:sudo sh NVIDIA-linux-x86_64-260.19.29.run
-c. finish install, and start gdm
Quote:sudo etc/init.d/gdm start
2. Then install flash and libvdpau1 if you dont have that already: Instructions taken from here:
Quote:wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/...710.tar.gz
tar zxvf flashplayer10_2_p2_32bit_linux_111710.tar.gz
sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/

Oh, and turn set your appearances to "no effects" and set your xbmc to do vdpau Smile

For Windows, do a similar thing:

Windows
1) Download the beta nvidia drivers from their website (I used GeForce/ION Release 265 on windows 7 64 bit)
2) Install Adobe Flash 10.2 Beta or better. (if using chrome, follow this guide to force chrome to use 10.2b. Chrome tries to stick with 10.1 even if you install flash 10.2 from the adobe site.)

And like the ubuntu up top, try disabling windows transparency in the "Personalize" to speed up a bit. and don't forget to enable DVXA in the xbmc options.

I think that's a foolproof method to making things work. I think. If i'm forgetting something, let me know. haha

As for netflix: Silverlight 5 will address the issue of HD playback/GPU acceleration. So far, it's not working well for anyone I think.
Reply to Hannes The Hun [2010-11-08, 10:40 #29]

Hi!

I wrote a letter for Foxconn with your problem -which is also my problem too- and here is the answer:

Welcome to Foxconn.
The size of video memory is relate with the chipset.
When you install 2GB memory,the chipset will automatically divide 256MB for video memory .
And when you install 4GB memory,the video memory the chipset will automatically divide 512MB for video memory .
If you want use 2GB memory and video memory is 512MB,it will make the BIOS damaged or burn processor or mainboard etc.
In order to properly use your PC, the BIOS can not to modify.
Best regards,
Foxconn Technical Support

I don't want to comment it. Chew it, and split it out ^^
Quote:Did you actually do hackintosh it? I was toying with the idea. Would love to hear your experience (maybe not in this thread though).

You can check out that thread for more info.

But yeah, I did hackintosh it, their info is pretty straight forward, and what I'm seeing is that the only problem is with sleep/power. That should eventually be fixed.

Anyone that bought the 4g of ram and the SSD and, like you, are considering it, should at least give it a shot if bored or curious.

Like I said, for my needs/taste the nt330i's a bust for XBMC, but it definitely can replace a larger ubuntu p4 atx machine for my wifeLaugh

Good luck, PM me if you have any questions about it.

sebj
sebj Wrote:Like I said, for my needs/taste the nt330i's a bust for XBMC, but it definitely can replace a larger ubuntu p4 atx machine for my wifeLaugh

this is only because of the mythTV recordings? what else did you find wrong with it?
I just made the switch with my Foxconn from Ubunutu to Win7 and facing a few problem. Hope to get your help:

1) In device manager, I see a "coprocessor", but with a mark indicating a conflict. Anyone has seen this and has an idea what to do / what driver to install?

2) Don't get my bluetooth dongle to work. The driver that comes with is are some form of bluesoleil-software, but no clue what to do with it.

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Quote:this is only because of the mythTV recordings? what else did you find wrong with it?

The mythtv recordings is the main issue.

That and the sound levels of the fan, really annoying.

In my book, this machine is perfect for someone that has a collection of dvd rips, or movies in h.264 downloaded from the net. Basically, anything not 59.94 fps.

Wish it worked better with hdpvr though!
steve1977 Wrote:1) In device manager, I see a "coprocessor", but with a mark indicating a conflict. Anyone has seen this and has an idea what to do / what driver to install?

2) Don't get my bluetooth dongle to work. The driver that comes with is are some form of bluesoleil-software, but no clue what to do with it.

Figured out both on my own: installed some additional nvidia driver (the one suggested by windows in addition to the latest beta and the coprocessor is working. Bought a new bluetooth dongle and this is working as well now.

Unfortunately, movies in 1080p are basically unwatchable. Anyone can confirm to get smooth video on Windows 7 (NOT ubuntu)? Please share the "trick" / settings to make this happen. Thanks!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
steve1977 Wrote:Figured out both on my own: installed some additional nvidia driver (the one suggested by windows in addition to the latest beta and the coprocessor is working. Bought a new bluetooth dongle and this is working as well now.

Unfortunately, movies in 1080p are basically unwatchable. Anyone can confirm to get smooth video on Windows 7 (NOT ubuntu)? Please share the "trick" / settings to make this happen. Thanks!

i mentioned it in a previous page of this thread. Also make sure to turn on dvxa on your xbmc settings. Turning off appearances help as well.

what file are you using to run 1080p with?
handonam Wrote:i mentioned it in a previous page of this thread. Also make sure to turn on dvxa on your xbmc settings. Turning off appearances help as well.

what file are you using to run 1080p with?

Using all different kinds of 1080p and none plays well. Worse than my ATV. Please see my XBMC settings below. Advice appreciated:

Render method - auto-detect
Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) - on
Adjust display refresh rate to match videos - off
Sync playback to display - off
A/V sync method - greyed out
Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars - none
Display 4:3 videos as - normal
Video post-processing - disabled
Activate teletext - on

Any thoughts?
steve1977 Wrote:Using all different kinds of 1080p and none plays well. Worse than my ATV. Please see my XBMC settings below. Advice appreciated:

Render method - auto-detect
Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) - on
Adjust display refresh rate to match videos - off
Sync playback to display - off
A/V sync method - greyed out
Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars - none
Display 4:3 videos as - normal
Video post-processing - disabled
Activate teletext - on

Any thoughts?

which nvidia driver are you using right now?
Foxconn NT330i
4gb ram
120gb Intel SSD
Ubuntu 10.10
XBMC Dharma (I think, I cant tell what version it is)
HDMI
Yamaha RX-V667 (HDMI switching) receiver

TV: 2010 Panny 50" G-series Plasma

1. Videos played from SSD look washed out, I may need to work on increasing refresh rate from current 50hz. Is this something that most Foxconn XBMC users adjust? Or am I expecting too much? The videos I have for testing are 720p and look nowhere as clear as they should IMO (compared to DVD or BD material)

2. Mediagate remote I bought works for most things, but "back" key doesnt work. IR is getting signal, but doesnt work. Aggrovating, am I doing something wrong?

3. No sound coming from HDMI. I did select HDMI where it allowed me to

The remote not working is a big deal. I dont want to go through the process of assigning a different key and a keymap file, I might just buy another remote to see if it works. I got kinda frustrated with it, I'm about $440 into the project with nothing but a linux install to show for it.

Any suggestions on what to tackle first?
I just set up a foxconn nt330i for a friend.
I used the openelec embedded distro off a usb stick, installed to HD, booted to xbmc and switched to HDMI in audio settings. Whole process took about 2 minutes from download.

Haven't properly read the issues in this thread, but I didn't change any other settings than audio from xbmc's gui. This box only has 1gig of ram but plays 1080p content perfectly from what I could see.

We were using an ethernet cable, no idea how well (or if?) the wireless works.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Got my foxconn nt 330i, now what?0