[LIVE] Dharma 3 still nasty static on Toslink.
Update. Just installed xbmcfreak based on the beta 3 (the latest one) and the exact same issue persists as described in my youtube video.
Anssi Wrote:DVDPlayer doesn't support dts-in-wav. It is trivial to add, though, and I'll look at it tomorrow or so.

I guess you mean PAPlayer does not support it. My system plays mentioned file (norrland.wav) just fine with DVDplayer (receiver reports DTS)

Thanks for looking at this.
hey Doctor,

This sounds like a very similar issue i am having. What happens to the video when you actually play the file? does it stutter or playback smooth?

Do you have any 'DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty' messages in your xbmc.log file?

i can play mp3 audio fine via the aplay command, but can't do it via XBMC without that bad noise stutter either.
uomiarz Wrote:I guess you mean PAPlayer does not support it. My system plays mentioned file (norrland.wav) just fine with DVDplayer (receiver reports DTS).

Nope, DVDPlayer doesn't support it.
XBMC thinks it is playing back PCM audio, but since it is actually DTS your receiver decodes it (same principle as passthrough). If you didn't have a DTS-capable receiver, you'd hear only static.
(that is my guess at least; haven't yet looked at the file)
SleekY Wrote:hey Doctor,

This sounds like a very similar issue i am having. What happens to the video when you actually play the file? does it stutter or playback smooth?

Do you have any 'DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty' messages in your xbmc.log file?

i can play mp3 audio fine via the aplay command, but can't do it via XBMC without that bad noise stutter either.

The video playback is great. The only time I ever see any video issues is when I tell it to play something with mplayer, because xbmc is still the top window so mplayer can't really draw video.

Last time I checked my debug logs, I don't think I saw any messages that said "discontinuity".
Anssi Wrote:Nope, DVDPlayer doesn't support it.
XBMC thinks it is playing back PCM audio, but since it is actually DTS your receiver decodes it (same principle as passthrough). If you didn't have a DTS-capable receiver, you'd hear only static.

Oh, so when you mention support, you mean so that it can be played back using dvdplayer/paplayer but be decoded by the sound codec and sent to multichannel output?

Does anyone actually use that setup with 8 Y-Adapters hanging out the back of their sound card?

Since I've got you here Anssi, here's a question that's been eating at me for a little while now and I haven't been able to google an answer that pertains to any version of xbmc made in the last 4 years: Is there a way to completely obliterate DVDPlayer and use Mplayer instead through the xbmc gui? The only tutorial I could find was for windows, and I tried fussing with playercorefactory.xml and I can't seem to get it to work.

This would completely solve my problem.
@DoctorDyna: you might want to watch this topic here too. And if you're willing: install Ubuntu instead of xbmc live on harddisk.
Anssi Wrote:Nope, DVDPlayer doesn't support it.

Thx, make perfect sense right now. This is exactly what I see in DVDplayer. It displays that it is sending 2channel PCM and then receiver do the job. Some DTS files though are recognized correctly and passthrough is being used.
Anssi Wrote:DVDPlayer doesn't support dts-in-wav. It is trivial to add, though, and I'll look at it tomorrow or so.

DTS-in-WAV with DVDPlayer is fixed in trunk/r34949 and Dharma/r34950, and Norrlanda.wav plays fine with dvdplayer now. Thanks for the report.

DoctorDyna Wrote:Oh, so when you mention support, you mean so that it can be played back using dvdplayer/paplayer but be decoded by the sound codec and sent to multichannel output?
That too. However, even the pass-through didn't work on all systems, it only worked on your system by luck. Now it works properly on all systems while respecting the user pass-through setting.
DoctorDyna Wrote:Does anyone actually use that setup with 8 Y-Adapters hanging out the back of their sound card?
AFAIK basic cheap computer 5.1 speaker systems with 3x 3.5" plugs are relatively common. Also, HDMI has multichannel PCM.
DoctorDyna Wrote:Since I've got you here Anssi, here's a question that's been eating at me for a little while now and I haven't been able to google an answer that pertains to any version of xbmc made in the last 4 years: Is there a way to completely obliterate DVDPlayer and use Mplayer instead through the xbmc gui? The only tutorial I could find was for windows, and I tried fussing with playercorefactory.xml and I can't seem to get it to work.
I have never used it myself, but according to the wiki (HOW-TO use an External Player for media playback) it should be possible.
xbmcuser01 Wrote:@DoctorDyna: you might want to watch this topic here too. And if you're willing: install Ubuntu instead of xbmc live on harddisk.

Well, I have a working windows 7 install with xbmc, but what I really love about the idea of xbmc live is the minimal install of ubuntu with a small memory footprint, low hard disk usage and fast speed.

I love...love love love the xbmclive install for its speed and ease. It boots quick and has everything I need...I just need to get it to work right!
Anssi Wrote:DTS-in-WAV with DVDPlayer is fixed in trunk/r34949 and Dharma/r34950, and Norrlanda.wav plays fine with dvdplayer now. Thanks for the report.

That too. However, even the pass-through didn't work on all systems, it only worked on your system by luck. Now it works properly on all systems while respecting the user pass-through setting.

AFAIK basic cheap computer 5.1 speaker systems with 3x 3.5" plugs are relatively common. Also, HDMI has multichannel PCM.

I have never used it myself, but according to the wiki (HOW-TO use an External Player for media playback) it should be possible.

Yeah, this is the topic I found, but it looks like the instructions are for windows. I tried changing the path but it wouldn't work. If they had a set of instructions like this that was meant for ubuntu or xbmclive that would be phenomenal!
@Doc
did you try the new XBMC build with Anssi patches?

Ok, I compiled it.
Trunk rev.34955

Sample "Norrlanda" comes up in DVDplayer as:
Audio Codec: DCA
Channels:6
but...
I only have stereo sound (toslink) and receiver reports PCM 44kHz.
So now I have no way of playing this file as DTS. Most of my DTS wavs are now only playing as stereo.
We need to work on this Smile
Let me know how I can help (samples maybe) but I need to have ability to play 5.1wavs as DTS. So I like older "broken" DVDplayer better.

thx
uomiarz Wrote:Sample "Norrlanda" comes up in DVDplayer as:
Audio Codec: DCA
Channels:6
but...
I only have stereo sound (toslink) and receiver reports PCM 44kHz.
So now I have no way of playing this file as DTS. Most of my DTS wavs are now only playing as stereo.

Please recheck that you have DTS passthrough enabled from XBMC options. If so, please provide the debug log.
Anssi Wrote:Please recheck that you have DTS passthrough enabled from XBMC options. If so, please provide the debug log.

No need actually. It seems we disable passthrough for non-48kHz audio as the current code can't easily check if the hardware supports other sample rates or not.

This will most likely be fixed in the next major release after Dharma as part of the major restructuring of the audio subsystem. It won't make it for Dharma, though.

I'll see if we can add some setting in advancedsettings.xml that disables sample rate checking for pass-through.
Anssi Wrote:No need actually. It seems we disable passthrough for non-48kHz audio as the current code can't easily check if the hardware supports other sample rates or not.

This will most likely be fixed in the next major release after Dharma as part of the major restructuring of the audio subsystem. It won't make it for Dharma, though.

I'll see if we can add some setting in advancedsettings.xml that disables sample rate checking for pass-through.

OK, that rings the bell (original XBOX problems with DTS streams coded with wrong sample rate)

It would be great if you find some work around. I am stuck with BETA3 otherwise Smile

BTW shouldn't PAPlayer be default app for 5.1 wav files?
thx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Dharma 3 still nasty static on Toslink.0