Python scripting for XBMC Help request
Hi,

I've been programming in Python casually for several years using wxPython and even pyGame libraries. I'm also familiar with web scrapeing and wrote a tool in SageTV using python.

I recently got a softmodded xbox just because I was so thrilled to learn that python is built right into XBMC. (one of my main gripes with SageTV is that it uses Java -yuck).

So I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and start programming but it seems that python for XBMC is quite specific and I have some learning to do even though I'm an advanced Python programmer. The documentation is hit and miss and there seems to be a lot of orphan websites that start off trying to provide tutorials but are now outdated. I read the Wiki and it also seems outdated.

So do I just dive in and start by disecting some of the scripts here or are there some useful tutorials. I've learnt that no tutorial is better than bad tutorials. Therefor I am very selective when picking a learning resource.

Thanks
roxy99 Wrote:Hi,

I've been programming in Python casually for several years using wxPython and even pyGame libraries. I'm also familiar with web scrapeing and wrote a tool in SageTV using python.

I recently got a softmodded xbox just because I was so thrilled to learn that python is built right into XBMC. (one of my main gripes with SageTV is that it uses Java -yuck).

So I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and start programming but it seems that python for XBMC is quite specific and I have some learning to do even though I'm an advanced Python programmer. The documentation is hit and miss and there seems to be a lot of orphan websites that start off trying to provide tutorials but are now outdated. I read the Wiki and it also seems outdated.

So do I just dive in and start by disecting some of the scripts here or are there some useful tutorials. I've learnt that no tutorial is better than bad tutorials. Therefor I am very selective when picking a learning resource.

Thanks

I had minimal programming experience and no python experience and was able to write a SageTV plugin by following the design of some existing plugins and reading the docs. A few things were confusing but there were helpful people on the forums who helped me get it sorted out.

I'd suggest just diving right in, if you have specific ideas about what you want to do others could probably point you to a plugin whose code would be useful as a starting point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Python scripting for XBMC Help request0