Can't figure out how to scrape
I can't seem to get scrapers to work. It must be something obvious that I'm missing, but I haven't managed to figure it out, and not without effort. The main reason I want to use XBMC is for the library, and this is useless if there's no info for the movies, as they don't show up in library mode.

I have gone to "Set Content" and selected "movies" and the default database. I choose "run automated scan", and press "ok". For a split second it says something that disappears to quickly for me to read it, and then briefly says "compressing database". I go into the folders that contain the individual movies and click on "movie information" in the context menu. Some of the files seem to have the year added, but none contain cast, genre, fanart or any other information. All the rest just have "path". I'm obviously missing something really obvious. I've looked at the wiki page on how to use the scrapers, and I can't see an extra step that I've missed.

Sorry for the stupid question :confused2:

Oh, by the way, I've used scrapers on through other media centre software without a problem.

EDIT: I'm on Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat
I just discovered that when I click on "refresh" in the "movie information" page, it appears to retrieve information, but when I go back to the movie, there is nothing. I press "refresh" again and it comes up with a list of possible matches. I select one, and it comes up with a dialog box with a 'download' bar. I go back to the movie, and still no information.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide

Follow the guide, make sure you are using the default skin - confluence and you should be good to go.

More than likely you have either set the wrong scraper options, or your file naming convention doesn't match what we need, also make sure you have enabled library mode.

Following the guide, if you are having problems you need to provide more info, including debug log, scraper settings and example directory/filename structure.
I've tried about a hundred movies now, and it's worked for two of them, so I guess it must be naming conventions, although some of them that don't work seem to be named in a similar manner to the ones the DO work. I'll change the filenames of a few movies and see if I have more luck. Other scrapers I've used haven't been very picky about naming conventions, so I wasn't expecting that to be the problem.

Also reading through the quickstart now. Seems to cover mostly information that I've read in the more detailed wiki pages, but there might be stuff there that I've missed. Thanks heaps.
Before changing anything, why don't you provide the information I asked for? Why make things harder for yourself? What is the point in changing things if there is no need to do it?
There must a need to change things, otherwise it would be working without changing anything. It works when I change the filenames, and I'm quite happy to do that anyway as it makes my directory easier to navigate when everything's in the same format. It's a little tedious, but that way I can be sure everything is added correctly. I'm already half-way through my collection now anyway.

I really appreciate your zeal in helping Smile
The fact that the dialog appears and disappears quickly smells like a wrong scraper setting

Its silly not to provide the info prae5 asked for especially a debug log when scanning it would probably save you a lot of work and even if it turned out to be a file name problem there are apps that could do that for you quickly and easily including sorting them into folders or maybe you just need to add an additional string to clean strings in Advancedsettings.xml

BTW if nothing appears in your library then they are not being scraped if you select movie info in file mode it scrapes the data there and then if its not already in the database and those movies should then be in library, if I was to make a guess you probably need to turn on "Scan Recursively"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't figure out how to scrape0