Problem with current SVN build... Crashing.
Hi there. I just compiled a build (Rev34827) and when I tried to launch XBMC I get the follwing error (on Windows 7 32 and 64 Bit)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: XBMC.exe
Application Version: 10.5.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4cba7cd3
Fault Module Name: XBMC.exe
Fault Module Version: 10.5.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cba7cd3
Exception Offset: 00617f16
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 1bad
Additional Information 2: 1badfcba6b768a8181235fe46d150914
Additional Information 3: 737e
Additional Information 4: 737e588d18ae2c56635c03babe3f9a54

Thought it might be my build enviroment so downloaded the nightly build (Rev34793) from http://sshcs.com/xbmc/ and found this crashed at launched with the same error too....

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Well it's a nightly build. Does the Dharma 3 beta crash?

JR
Since you built it, you can run it under debugger and get much more details about the crash. Like the call stack.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Sad 
Not really sure how to do that... had a stab and got this in the call stack window?

XBMC.exe!_crt_debugger_hook(int _Reserved=0) Line 65 C
XBMC.exe!_invalid_parameter(const wchar_t * pszExpression=0x00000000, const wchar_t * pszFunction=0x00000000, const wchar_t * pszFile=0x00000000, unsigned int nLine=0, unsigned int pReserved=0) Line 112 + 0x7 bytes C++
XBMC.exe!_invalid_parameter_noinfo() Line 125 + 0xc bytes C++
XBMC.exe!std::_Vector_const_iterator<HTML::CHTMLRow,std::allocator<HTML::CHTMLRow> >::operator+=() + 0xf bytes C++
XBMC.exe!std::vector<CStdStr<char>,std::allocator<CStdStr<char> > >::insert() + 0x99 bytes C++
XBMC.exe!std::vector<CStdStr<char>,std::allocator<CStdStr<char> > >::push_back() + 0x9b bytes C++
XBMC.exe!CCharsetConverter::CCharsetConverter() + 0x5a bytes C++
XBMC.exe!_putenv() + 0x7b64a bytes C++
XBMC.exe!_initterm(void (void)* * pfbegin=0x00000000, void (void)* * pfend=0x013aae50) Line 903 C
XBMC.exe!_cinit(int initFloatingPrecision=1) Line 320 C
XBMC.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() Line 249 + 0x6 bytes C
kernel32.dll!77003677()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for kernel32.dll]
ntdll.dll!77809d42()
ntdll.dll!77809d15()

If I build a Debug(DirectX) executable it launches no problem?

To be honest I'm out of my depth and should probably leave it alone... :-(
Try a clean checkout.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Try a clean checkout.

Gave it a go but no dice...
That's quite a weird place to crash, because the code in CCharsetConverter() is very straightforward and the offset you have means the first or second call to push_back().

I suspect the problem comes from somewhere else. Are there other threads running when this crash happens?

You can see that with the "Threads" debug window.

Make sure you set XBMC_HOME both in debug and relase mode.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
CrystalP Wrote:That's quite a weird place to crash, because the code in CCharsetConverter() is very straightforward and the offset you have means the first or second call to push_back().

I suspect the problem comes from somewhere else. Are there other threads running when this crash happens?

You can see that with the "Threads" debug window.

Make sure you set XBMC_HOME both in debug and relase mode.

Ok I will give this a go.... Just out of interest CrystalP, can you compile a release build from the current SVN that launches ok? I know I'm not the only person having this problem. The guy who posts builds at http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/ can't get the win32 builds to work either (SVN that is, Dharma seems fine). I tried compiling a build last Thursday or Friday and that was the first time I'd seen this problem. It hasn't worked since.

Edit: I don't even know where the threads window is (VC++ 2008 Express Edition)... I compiled a new build (Release) and have the same crash (it also mentions something about dbghook.c and not being able to find it, don't know how thats relevent)...
I am a bit lost to be honest... I normally just run BuildSetup.bat and let it get on with it .... If I compile a build in (Debug) mode it still launches just fine... Sorry but I think I just don't have the knowledge to take this any further (unless someone wants to give me detailed instructions).
I made another vs2010 build yesterday evening - at SVN 34845, and works like a charm (both on Win7 64 and 32 bit). I always clean up the previous build using buildsetup.bat vs2010 dx clean

edit: could it be a vs2008-only issue?
Voyager-xbmc Wrote:I made another vs2010 build yesterday evening - at SVN 34845, and works like a charm (both on Win7 64 and 32 bit). I always clean up the previous build using buildsetup.bat vs2010 dx clean

edit: could it be a vs2008-only issue?

Just installed VS 2010 Express Edition and can comfirm that the compiled XBMC.exe works just fine from this build. Thanks Voyager-xbmc.

Still no idea whats wrong with the 2008 version (which I just tried again and still crashes at launch).
I've been able to reproduce the issue. Just build with vs2008 on release and it'll crashes.

The crash occurs when initializing global variables (main() isn't even called). I tried to move
Code:
CCharsetConverter  g_charsetConverter;

up and down in SystemGlobals.cpp, but it always crashes on CCharsetConverter::CCharsetConverter.
AndroIRC - Best IRC client for Android!
The sshcs dude has VS2010 AFAIK so it looks like he has another problem.

In trunk, it could have something to do with the global variables refactoring of elupus not too long ago. A few things were pulled in there that weren't before.
Glad i'm not the only one. It's been crashing on all my builds using VB2008 also for maybe around a week now, out of the blue too. Run XBMC, it crashes immediately (before it even starts a log file to look at.), one day it worked, next day it stopped.
ALSO grabbed an installer DX version and crashes too, however i'm sure it's cause he's using VB2008 to compile as well. But at least this problem has been confirmed by at least a few people, using VB2008 setup's. Mine in Win7 64bit.
In resources list, i see briefly "xbmc.exe" and "Werfault.exe" files show up then dissappear. But no xbmc log file is made yet, so no details on the specific crash.

pastebin linkie- http://pastebin.com/k1cHivQy Bunch of warning's, but no error's in the build itself.

After a new build today, i at least get a M$ crash report box showing -
"Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\djdafreund\AppData\Local\Temp\WER295C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\djdafreund\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3F3D.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\djdafreund\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4086.tmp.hdmp"

at least.
We've found the problem and elupus is working on it. It shouldn't be long before it's fixed!
AndroIRC - Best IRC client for Android!
Thanks for the notice, and thanks for fixing it, and so quickly. Ya'lls work NEVER goes without much appreciation Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with current SVN build... Crashing.0