Problems reading hard drive out of original Xbox
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum as this isn't directly XBMC support but it's related.

I have taken the hdd out of my original Xbox running XBMC which I'm now retiring in (Sad) and trying to connect the hdd via an ide to usb converter,and i'm having problems reading the data from it.

In Windows it says it needs to initialise the disk in order to read it, and in linux (Ubuntu) it reads it as connected but has no further details e.g. what filesystem is on it, what size it is, and what make it is etc, and it won't mount it.

I really hope the data on it isn't corrupt, but I don't know what tools I can use to try and grab the data off it while its in this state. Can anyone advise please?
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
The filesystem on that drive is FatX.

See here for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FATX

You can use this tool on a PC to read and write data to the drive:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system...rer360.cfm

Hope this helps.

-hofgan
Thanks very much for that. I got the Xplorer 360 program running, but it says it can't find a fatx drive, do you think my drive may be broken?

EDIT : just found my AV cable for my Xbox original, it boots straight to XBMC and appears to ahve my data so I'll grab it as a priority hopefully over the network! thanks very much for the help hogfan
Xbox was locking drives to prevent what you are currently trying to do. I had modded version of Xbox (chip) and it had a functionality to unlock the drive so it can be moved or read on another Xbox or a computer. When I modded the Xbox, I put a bigger drive in it. I also wan't able to do anything with the original 10GB drive.
drabina Wrote:Xbox was locking drives to prevent what you are currently trying to do. I had modded version of Xbox (chip) and it had a functionality to unlock the drive so it can be moved or read on another Xbox or a computer. When I modded the Xbox, I put a bigger drive in it. I also wan't able to do anything with the original 10GB drive.

cheers Drabina although I didn't mean the original 10GB hdd, I meant the one I'd upgraded the 10GB one to. I was lucky in that I found my xbox power and video lead so could connect it up and use it as a sort of NAS. I know what you mean about that 10GB hdd though, I challenged myself with unlocking it once and didn't manage it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems reading hard drive out of original Xbox0