[LINUX] HOW-TO compile pvr-testing2 branch XBMC builds for MythTV PVR Addon testing
Thumbs Up 
The Mythtv addon for the pvr branch has recently been getting a lot of attention and the developers have done some fantastic work.

Mythtv Addon Development Thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=82015

I am a long time user of both xbmc and mythtv and i am very excited about the prospect of using xbmc as a full on frontend to mythtv, i am unfortunately unable to contribute to the coding due to time constraints and lack of ability however i would like to offer some user support on the forums and hopefully supply as much help to the developers through feed back, bug reports and patches as possible.

I have documented the process of building the pvr-testing2 branch along with patching and rebuilding. I have done some of this from memory so there may be mistakes, if so please pm me or reply to this thread and i will make the necessary corrections.

Please note this is only for ubuntu.

Directions:

Open Terminal window in your home directory (should be your home directory by default i.e user@host:~$)

The following commands have all been taken from the linux how to included with the source code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs autopoint
Code:
svn co https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/pvr-testing2/

Code:
cd ~/pvr-testing2
Code:
./bootstrap

Code:
./configure

Code:
sudo make -j2

Code:
sudo make install

Rebuilding:

Code:
cd ~/pvr-testing2

Code:
svn up

Code:
./configure

Code:
sudo make -j2

Code:
sudo make install

Rebuilding with patches:

Check for updates and download patches:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10445

Code:
cd ~/pvr-testing2

Code:
patch -p0 < ~/Downloads/mythxml.6.patch

Code:
./configure

Code:
sudo make -j2

Code:
sudo make install

Removing xbmc:

Code:
cd ~/pvr-testing2

Code:
sudo make uninstall

To configure the mythtv addon:

system -> Addons -> Installed addons-> pvrclients -> mythtv pvr client -> configure

add your masterbackend ip and enable the addon.

Then:

system -> TV -> Enable.

I am not entirely sure of the bug reporting process, however, i will document it as we go, unless you can help by creating a how to, or supplying links to the wiki.

Thanks,

Dubstar_04
All Things PVR
saved for future use
All Things PVR
Please could this be moved to the Tips, Tricks and how to section?

Thanks,

Dubstar
All Things PVR
updated for Ubuntu Maverick 10.10
All Things PVR
Hi, thanks for the guide - really easy to read and understand (and execute).

I have a MythBackend running in my house and 4 Frontends - it annoys me that I've just bought a new laptop and to install MythFrontend on there, I have to update the server and all the clients - which is an all day job - as the version has changed since I installed meaning the repos frontend for the new laptop won't connect to the BE unless I do this.

So, I started looking at alternatives. I have tried VDR with XBMC in the past, but it was a while ago and wasn't quite as user friendly as MythFrontend.

I have compiled (on 10.10) the above source and it works fine - I just can't figure out how to point XBMC at the Myth Backend.

Could you point me in the right direction?
To configure the mythtv addon:

system -> Addons -> Installed addons-> pvrclients -> mythtv pvr client -> configure

add your masterbackend ip

Then enable the addon.

Then:

system -> TV -> Enable.

this will load the epg in to xbmc.

At the time of writing the mythtv pvr client isn't a fully featured client. you can browse the guide, however, the code required to watch tv and schedule is a work in progress. From what i can gather it will be a couple of weeks until this code is merged in to the pvr branch and the mythtv addon becomes a viable daily alternative to mythfrontend.

I hope this helps.

Dubstar_04
All Things PVR
Thanks for the fast reply!

Trying it now!
If you have had other versions of xbmc installed you may need to delete the ~/.xbmc folder then restart xbmc.
All Things PVR
Thanks for that, I did have another version installed, but it seemed to make little difference. It's all working as before, but with the 'Live TV' menu there.
Couldn't get it to connect to Myth, but that's little surprise, it's hard enough getting MythFrontEnd to connect to Myth.
Might give VDR a go - I had that working some months ago.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Hello,

I tried this a few months ago but couldn't get it working - in the end the issue turned out to be that I was running 0.24 mythbackend and at that time the plugin did not support the 0.24 protocol. Can anyone confirm if that has been addressed in the latest code yet?

Jon
nojstevens Wrote:Hello,

I tried this a few months ago but couldn't get it working - in the end the issue turned out to be that I was running 0.24 mythbackend and at that time the plugin did not support the 0.24 protocol. Can anyone confirm if that has been addressed in the latest code yet?

Jon

These instructions are out-of-date. XMBC master (aka trunk) support Myth 0.24 as does the in progress PVR addon development.
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
Great guide! I've managed to compile XBMC successfully after a small symlink fix to the Nvidia driver. Now I'm wondering where to add user and password for the Myth database? Is it in the IP address field and if so, what is the syntax?
Similar problem here : i don't find how to configure the "mythtv pvr client" which i want to test.

Here is the screen i get :

I use the last ppa revision (built on 2011-05-08)

edit:
In the log file, i can see this lines when i start xbmc :
Quote:16:26:27 T:140110167803840 M:2515542016 DEBUG: CPlayerSelectionRule::Initialize: creating rule: hdhomerun/myth/rtmp/mms/udp
16:26:27 T:140110167803840 M:2514145280 DEBUG: ADDON: cpluff: 'Plug-in pvr.mythtv has been installed.'
Then, when i open the config menu, i get this line :
Quote:16:28:06 T:140110167803840 M:2477604864 ERROR: ADDON: Could not locate XBMC_MythTV.pvr

Hope it can help !
I'm not sure what level of support is currently in trunk for the MythTV PVR addon.

I've got some spare time coming up after this weekend so I'll try to get at least the latest MythTV PVR Addon available for people to try some more. Unfortunately I haven't been able to dedicate any time to XBMC for the last 3 months.
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
i believe that due to the changes that dushmaniac made trying to bring the mythtv addon up to the current build has rendered the add on unusable.

The addon will need to modified to work with the new pvr api.

Also as dteirney stated, this tutorial is way outdated. i will try and put some more relevant information together and update the wiki, although i am really busy with end of year exams and work at the moment, so this maybe a few weeks away.
All Things PVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO compile pvr-testing2 branch XBMC builds for MythTV PVR Addon testing0