XBMC port to LG, Samsung, or Sony, etc. BDP Blu-ray Disc players, like ex. BDP-S370?
Question 
Hi folks

Just found this site and what looks like a great software.

My problem being is that I have just bought a Sony bdp s370 BluRay player, so that I can play all my movie files from an external Hardrive attached at the rear USB port. (works greatBig Grin) but with so many movie/files looking through them is boring Sad due to the Media Centre the Sony player has installed. Is there any way I can have the XBMC on this player? I have also looked at Extreme Movie Manager but I am just getting myself Bamboozled with all this tech speak and procedures. The player is DLNA compliant if that helps in any way. It has an Ethernet connection at the back which I have my Router attached to.

Any help would be great or if anyone needs more info please let me know,
I hope someone can help bring my growing media centre to life.

Regards
Border Reiver
Border Reiver Wrote:Hi folks

Just found this site and what looks like a great software.

My problem being is that I have just bought a Sony bdp s370 BluRay player, so that I can play all my movie files from an external Hardrive attached at the rear USB port. (works greatBig Grin) but with so many movie/files looking through them is boring Sad due to the Media Centre the Sony player has installed. Is there any way I can have the XBMC on this player? I have also looked at Extreme Movie Manager but I am just getting myself Bamboozled with all this tech speak and procedures. The player is DLNA compliant if that helps in any way. It has an Ethernet connection at the back which I have my Router attached to.

Any help would be great or if anyone needs more info please let me know,
I hope someone can help bring my growing media centre to life.

Regards
Border Reiver

It's HIGHLY unlikely, my friend. The closest you could come is to having XBMC play your blu-rays, then everything would be in one place... though there isn't a way to do that right now through XBMC. I think you may be stuck with 2 media players for a while -
newb here just installed the xbmc and have my media files up and running.
my computer is in one room and i want to access my files from my tv in the other room. can i access the xbmc menu through my blu ray player that is networked?

sorry if this is stupid but i am excited to get this up and running.
thx for any repsonses
No, you can't.
thanks Yoda. so what is the easiest way to get the xbmc to load up on my tv? do i need to spend the money for a ASRock ION 330 ? is their a cheaper alternative to access my media with the xbmc interface? I really want to set this up but am simply learning as i go.

thanks for any suggestions ! I cant wait to get this up and running!
If you want XBMC on your TV, you'll need to connect a computer to your TV. Something like the ASRock you listed will work perfectly.
any other suggestions that are cheaper? i have a blu-ray player, so i just want to get something to access my media.

thx!!
consumer567 Wrote:thanks Yoda. so what is the easiest way to get the xbmc to load up on my tv? do i need to spend the money for a ASRock ION 330 ? is their a cheaper alternative to access my media with the xbmc interface? I really want to set this up but am simply learning as i go.

thanks for any suggestions ! I cant wait to get this up and running!

When I only had one computer I used a component matrix switch,50ft cables and IR repeater to use it in another room. If you're using HDMI or DVI then it's a little more complicated. A 2nd computer is a lot better but then you have the headaches of either keeping them in sync or setting up MySQL with a shared database. If you don't need the XBMC interface then there are some media boxes that can play the files located on the XBMC box.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
consumer567 Wrote:any other suggestions that are cheaper? i have a blu-ray player, so i just want to get something to access my media.

thx!!

Get a ION system without a built in BD Rom like a Zbox from Zotac.

But yes, basically the cheapest decent XBMC options are in the $300 range.

Of course, you cannot have the "XMBC menu" on your BR player, but, if your intention was just to be able to playback the actual media from the XBMC PC using your BR Player, that's a different story.
I do not own a BR player but if I understood you correctly, your BR player should be able to access the network devices, right? So, all you need to do is create share(s) with your media content on the machine that holds the media (your XBMC PC?), browse the network using your BR and the PC and it's share(s) should be visible. Pick the movie (file) and fire away.
Use the XBMC_Online_Manual and XBMC FAQ!
Search the forum before asking questions!
Troubleshooting and bug reporting? Read this first
Read & follow the Forum FAQ.
fdlsys Wrote:Of course, you cannot have the "XBMC menu" on your BR player, but, if your intention was just to be able to playback the actual media from the XBMC PC using your BR Player, that's a different story.
I do not own a BR player but if I understood you correctly, your BR player should be able to access the network devices, right? So, all you need to do is create share(s) with your media content on the machine that holds the media (your XBMC PC?), browse the network using your BR and the PC and it's share(s) should be visible. Pick the movie (file) and fire away.

It's doubtful the machine would be able to play many of the media files, which would mean probably transcoding them on the fly as they're streamed to the blu-ray player, which is a pain in the ass. I would highly recommend against anyone doing that. It works, but it's not fun.
YodaEXE Wrote:It's doubtful the machine would be able to play many of the media files, which would mean probably transcoding them on the fly as they're streamed to the blu-ray player, which is a pain in the ass. I would highly recommend against anyone doing that. It works, but it's not fun.

Worth a try though ...

If you go into the System settings, Network and enable "Share music and video libraries through uPnP" any DLNA client, including your BluRay player, should be able to play media from your XBMC machine.

JR
Ok so the BlueRay Players like VIZO, Samsung and so on, really need a port of XBMC. I really think they run Linux but i can figure out a way to crack them. In any case this is my thought.
The magic 8-ball says 'no'
And "blueray" is spelt "blu-ray"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC port to LG, Samsung, or Sony, etc. BDP Blu-ray Disc players, like ex. BDP-S370?0