My guide to install XBMC in UBUNTU 10.04 Lucid Lynx on a Asrock ION 330 HT and get th
Maybe this guide can be a good NOOB how-to-guide and be moved to Tips, Tricks, and HOW-TOs for XBMC

My guide to install XBMC in UBUNTU 10.04 Lucid Lynx on a Asrock ION 330 HT and get the remote control working !!!

Introduction:
After using the XBMC on my old and loved XBox I made the mistake to purchase an NMT. Yes, it can play almost anything including most HD-content, but the user interface leaves much to be desired. My technophobe wife agreed the XBMC interface is much preferred over the NMT.
I purchased a Asrock ION 330 HT Nettop. My goal was to have the ability to run XBMC on my home theatre system and be able to browse the web from my living room.
My choice was a nice desktop environment like Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx and start whatever application from this desktop
As a total NOOB on Ubuntu/Linux I started to setup my system using guides posted on the http://www.xbmc.org forum. Unfortunately many of the older HOW-TO-GUIDES did not give me the desired configuration, or in almost all cases the IR remote did not work.

Here is how I got my system running.

1. Get Ubuntu.
Go to http://www.ubuntu.com and download UBUNTU 10.04 LTS for 64 bit. Burn the iso-image to a CD.

2. Install Ubuntu.
Put the CD in the drive and start up your Asrock. Press <DEL> during the Asrock screen and verify the system boots from CD before hard disk.

3. Install Ubuntu.
After a while the installation menu is displayed.
1. Select your preferred language and click on INSTALL UBUNTU 10.04 LTS.
2. Select your time zone on the globe.
3. Select the type of keyboard connected.
4. Partition the hard disk manually (advanced)
Create 3 partitions:
size (MB) Type Mount point Format
20000 Ext3 / Yes
4000 SWAP
296070 Ext3 /HOME Yes
5. Specify your account details in "Who are you ?".
Put "xbmc" (without quotation marks!) in all fields and select AUTOMATIC LOGIN. Do not select a password key for your folders. It will slow your system down.
6. Confirm the overview of the installation details you selected. The installation of Ubuntu starts. It will take ~ 20 minutes
At the end of the installation the system request you to confirm a restart. The CD is ejected from the drive. Take the CD out and store it.
Once the system is rebooted you will see the desktop environment of Ubuntu.
I know you are tempted to try it out. You want to see the differences and advantages of the Ubuntu system compared to a Windows system.
DO NOT DO IT NOW. Continue with step 4.

4. Installation of the IR Remote controller.
1. Use Firefox to go to the Asrock website and download the Ubuntu 10.04 drivers for the remote control:
http://europe.asrock.com/downloadsite/dr...10.04).zip
Store the zip file to hard disk. It is by default stored in <Locations> <Downloads>
2. Double click on the file "IR(10.04).zip". Unzip all files in this zip-file to the Downloads location.
Also unzip the file "lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu-10.04.zip" to the Downloads Location. The file "lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu-10.04.dep" will now be present in your Downloads Location.
3. Open the file "Ubuntu(10.04)IR.pdf"
The next 7 lines are copied from this manual. The pictures in the pdf-file wil help you to find the options to select.
1. Click on System on the tool bar > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click Reload. After reloading, click Search and search for [dkms]
3. Click on [dkms], (in the package list) mark [dkms] for installation, then click [Apply].
To start the installation click "Apply". After the changes are applied close the Synaptic Package Manager
4. Choose [lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04 .deb] file, and double click the left key of mouse.
Please be sure you select the correct file for your 64bit Ubuntu. It was downloaded and unzipped in step 4.2.
5. Click [Install Package]
6. When the window as below picture shows, choose [None] for [remote control configuration], [None] for [IR transmitter, if present] ;and click [Forward].
The first time this window is displayed the Nuvoton devices are not in the list. Keep both lines selected to "None" during this first pass !!
7. During install IR driver, [Configuring Lirc] page will show again. Please choose [Nuvoton Transceivers/Remotes] for [remote control configuration], [None] for [IR transmitter, if present] and click [Forward]
This is the second time this selection window is displayed. Now select the "Nuvoton Transceivers/Remotes" in the first line, leave the selection "None" in the second line.
When the installation is completed close the Packet Installer. You can delete all downloaded and unzipped files from the Downloads Location if you want a clean system.

5. Installation of the Nvidia VGA drivers.
On the top line of the desktop select <System> <Administration> <Hardware Drivers>
After a search the NVIDIA card is found. There is only a third party driver available for it. Select the button <Activate>
At the end of the installation you are warned the NVIDIA drivers will be activated after a reboot of Unbuntu. DON NOT REBOOT now.

6. Install XBMC.
The installation of XBMC is a direct copy of the XBMC WIKI pages:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

1. Installing XBMC Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic or higher
Open the Terminal Window from <Applications> <Extra>
Copy the command lines stated below to the Terminal window and execute them by pressing <Enter> after copying.
I performed these commands one by one. As a total Noob I don't know if you can copy the whole bunch of lines. I know my solution works.

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone
sudo apt-get update

2. Install hardware acceleration for NVIDIA (VPAU)
Copy the next line in the Terminal Window

sudo apt-get install libvdpau1 nvidia-185-libvdpau

3. Adding the XBMC Repo
From the Desktop go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources.
Click the "Third Party Software" tab.
Click "Add" for each of the two following depositories.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

If needed substitute the "lucid" part in the above lines for your Ubuntu version.
Click "Close". If you see a GPG Error upon closing the window, do not worry. That will be handled in the next step.

4. Adding PPA Keys
These packages are signed with a unique key for added security. Synaptic needs to know this key in order to verify the packages' authenticity.
1. Click here to view the PGP key
2. Select the text from the beginning of the key block to the end (including those lines)
3. Copy that text to the clipboard (Edit -> Copy)
4. Open your text editor from Applications -> Text Editor.
5. Paste the key contents (Edit -> Paste)
6. Save the document in your home folder as xbmc-ppa.key
7. Reopen Software Sources, this time choosing the "Authentication" tab.
8. Click "Import Key File" and choose the newly created xbmc-ppa.key and press OK.

You can also combine all these steps into a single command-line command:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0x6d975c4791e7ee5e

5. Installing XBMC
Now that the repo and key have been added, install XBMC like any other program.
1. Click System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click "Reload"
3. Search for "xbmc"
4. Mark xbmc and xbmc-standalone for installation and mark additional changes when prompted.
5. Click "Apply" and agree to the changes after reading them.
XBMC is now installed and ready for use.

6. Adding the XBMC SVN Repo Installer
In Ubuntu the SVN Repositories are not automatically added. You must add them manually.
1. First, download the SVN Repo Installer from:
http://xbmc-addons.googlecode.com/svn/pa...taller.zip
2. Extract it to the ~/.xbmc/plugins/programs directory. If this directory does not exist, run XBMC one time and then exit back to Ubuntu. The directory should now exist.

7. Autostart XBMC (optional)
I did NOT perform this step, since it makes your system only run XBMC. I wanted to be able to select the application i want from the desktop.
By following these instructions, your system will boot directly into XBMC rather than your desktop from now on. It is advised that you delay this step until XBMC is setup as you'd like it.
1. From the desktop click System -> Administration -> Login Screen
2. From the "Security" tab choose "Enable Automatic Login" and select your username.
3. Click "OK" to exit.
4. Logout of your system.
5. From the Login screen choose "Select Session"
6. Choose "XBMC" and click "Change Session"

7. Reboot your system en enjoy XBMC.
The XBMC shortcut is located in <Applications> <Sound & Video>

ADDITIONAL
8. Install the "Uitzending Gemist" script made by Bas Rieter.
1. Download the zipped script from http://www.rieter.net/ext/?uri=http://xo...v3.2.1.zip
2. Unzip the directory "net.rieter.xot" to location ~.xbmc/plugins/programs

9. Use the SVN Repo Installer to install skins, scripts and addons

MUST DO
10. HAVE FUN Laugh Nod

DO NOT DO
Do not update Ubuntu using the Update Manager. It will ruin the IR driver setup.
I've did like your guide but I don't get any audio Sad

Plz help.

"Failed to initialze..." is the error I get.

Regards,
Jonas

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My guide to install XBMC in UBUNTU 10.04 Lucid Lynx on a Asrock ION 330 HT and get th0