Brightness / Contrast settings for XBMC menus
I have used xbmc for xbox for a long time now but just recently was given a laptop with a broken screen that wasn't worth repairing. So I have converted it to an xbmc the only down side is it only has vga out.

Anyway after getting xbmc for windows setup the menus and video playback were quite dark with the tv setup correctly for normal viewing. I thought no problem it was an intel GMA setup so I went to it's settings in windows and tried adjusting the brightness contrast and gamma. This didn't work very well it seemed to knock the white balance completely off to get it to the required brightness meaning grey blacks. I put it back to the defaults.

After a bit of searching I found there are brightness and contrast settings in xbmc video playback. Adjusting these worked much better the picture looks much better during playback than adjusting the settings in GMA.

The problem is the menus are still really dark if I do it this way, is there any other way/another setting in xbmc to get the menus brighter?
Change your desktop colors from RGB to YCbCr444.

EDIT: Don't know how Intel GMA works, but you can also try to change RGB from 0-255 to 16-235 somewhere in your desktop settings.
Kodi 17.0 Krypton, Win10 running on an ASRock ION 330HT HTPC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Brightness / Contrast settings for XBMC menus0