Arch Linux or Ubuntu, thoughts please
HDMI audio..
I don't think speed in general improves on Ubuntu from 8.04 to 10.04 (which I am running)
All tests on Phoronix says so ...
Stick with 8.04
Thx

HDMI please.
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
defiler Wrote:I was one of those suckers that bought a plasma screen 9 years ago so you lot could get them cheap!

Defiler: I was the other guy that bought plasma 9 years ago!!

Yeah, speeeeeeeeeeeed please!!!

this whole ATV journey began because it was the only way to get decent quality video over COMPONENT video!

(but I understand that HDMI audio is important...not all of us are dinosaurs I understand)
brock_gonad Wrote:Another vote for sticking with 8.04

IMO it's quite fast as it is, and an absolutely massive improvement from using the ATV OS.

I finally updated to Dharma and r171 CHD, and enabled the DDS fanart compression. To say it was an improvement over my previous setup is the understatement of the century.

I think if everyone could get to this point even, they'd be happy.

So true!
Using the original image + DDS is very fast. (even osx and DDS is fast!) I wouldn't mind sticking with 8.04, but would we still suffer from that HDMI bug that made us use ALSA (I think that's what it was), making the music fade-in/out not work?
Also, I think the original image didn't support ProjectM visualization?
(I use XBMC for 80% music playing, 20% video so those things are important to me)....
HDMI for me also, pls...
I also vote for HDMI. Thx
rolandb5 Wrote:Sam, as I previously understood, you were investigating to join forces with the Openelec.tv project.

May I assume that you're both going your own way now compared to create 'one distribution that rules them all' ?

I did originally want to work with openelec.tv on the image, and I remembered we discussed it back in what must have been June or July, but as a lack of progress has been made I think I'm going to take a crack at it myself. I have a good UI installer implementation as well as a decent auto update system, which I am more than happy to share with openelec.tv. However I will doing this image myself.
thnmnt Wrote:Defiler: I was the other guy that bought plasma 9 years ago!!
[...]
this whole ATV journey began because it was the only way to get decent quality video over COMPONENT video!

Heh - exactly the same as me. I'll bet our plasma screens are still running great, years after the current models have broken. They may have been cripplingly expensive, but they're crazily well-built!
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Hey,

I am developing a new disk image and obviously I would like to implement the Arch distro but unfortunately there is a tradeoff for this performance boost. HDMI audio does not work on the new Arch kernels because the old NVIDIA drivers cannot be compiled against the new kernels.

My new disk image is going to feature an automatic updating system and a UI installer (Windows only), which will allow users to image the distro to a USB or the internal hard drive (the program will install a script to a USB that can image the hard drive when the aTV boots from it). This will help people who have had issues resizing the media partition on the internal disk.

What I'd like to know is if people would prefer HDMI audio or a very fast distribution.

Thanks

I would rather a fast distribution, especially since nvidia and hdmi audio requires the use of older drivers, patches, etc... There are already linux images with hdmi audio. The ATV has component out. Why not use that? I understand the appeal of one cable, but under Linux it's just not there properly.

It would be nice to have a sleep that didn't freeze the ATV, easy pairing of the Linux ATV, trivial installation to an external boot drive and if possible a menu at startup to allow the selection of either the ATV OS or Linux ATV

philip
well, i would go for HDMI audio Smile
pmcd Wrote:It would be nice to have a sleep that didn't freeze the ATV

This will never happen, the power supply is on/off via the plug and does not support suspend/sleep. So to not freeze the ATV, don't sleep it as it will never come back Smile
The best sleeping measures that can be done are clocking back cpu with cpufreqd and turning off the display after a period of inactivity
Maybe I'm missing something, but the ATV has an optical audio output which works fatalistically, as well as component audio out.

HDMI audio sounds like a major issue in the whole scheme of things. If HDMI audio was the only option provided by the ATV then it'd be a must for any of these projects - but there are two other options, which HDMI audio (correct me if I am wrong) is not superior to.

Sure it's great to be able to support everyone with every different configuration, but as the ATV has two other dedicated sound outputs, I see this as far less of an issue than having a newer image build on more recent technology with better performance.

If the trade-off here is that the release is delayed to include what is in my opinion, a "nice to have feature" with reduced performance (again, correct me if I am wrong) as opposed to a faster image with GUI support for installing the image directly to the ATV, my vote obviously goes to a fast distribution.

Not trying to start fights here, just my opinion :-)

Edit: as my first time post as a long time lurker, I'd just like to say that you guys constantly working on these projects in your own free are all fantastic and you are a major reason in the push for better products & hardware with respect to the ATV. It's an amazing testament to your dedication to see the potential in a commercial product and literally push it to its limits. Kudos to all around, the XBMC team, everyone working on ATV images and the community who drives it all! <3
Okay, this is what I will do. I will push out a Ubuntu image first of all, and then I will do an Arch one later. As for the UI installer, that can work with both and I can design a simplified frontend that will allow both images to be downloaded and installed with one-click. However I am torn between a UI installer or a script that can be run through SSH to image the local drive.
davilla Wrote:This will never happen, the power supply is on/off via the plug and does not support suspend/sleep. So to not freeze the ATV, don't sleep it as it will never come back Smile

Hmm ... I knew about the inability to really sleep. I was thinking of the mini image that sleeps in the throttling down sense. It seemed to not be reliable during the short time I tried it ( it went to sleep and never came back). The OSX XBMC with Crystal HD doesn't sleep ( at least I have it set that way) and doesn't leave the room Smile

Anyway, I am fine with the ATV not dealing with sleep. I do like the idea of a newer Linux version with the latest drivers, hence my vote for component for the image.

philip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arch Linux or Ubuntu, thoughts please0