Wireless connected but not working
I recently got wireless working on my Acer AspireRevo AR3610-U2002 by installing wicd and configuring it through that. The only problem is, nothing seems to be working when running off of wireless. Here's what I can and cant do.

I CAN (from the terminal):

ping other computers on the network
ping google
see that the wireless is connected with wicd
see xbmc in "My Network" in windows

I CANT:

Play any media
Connect with the XBMC remote app for android
Load weather

When I try to watch a movie I get this:
"This file is no longer available. Would you like to remove it from your library?"

And when I try to play music I get this:
"One or more items failed to play. Check the log file for details"

in the log there is stuff like ERROR: Open - Failed to open source <musicdb://4/1010.mp3>

Everything works fine when I am running off of wired internet.

Any Help is appreciated.
Thanks
At what point and how are you "pinging google"?

Something similar happens to me sometimes.

It might be that XBMC has started too quickly (before the wireless connection has actually been made). Hit the power button on XBMC and select restart XBMC. I dont mean to actually restart the computer just XBMC.
FishOil Wrote:At what point and how are you "pinging google"?

Code:
ping google.com

when I try to troubleshoot my connection I ping google, anytime I ping with a wireless connection it works.

FishOil Wrote:It might be that XBMC has started too quickly (before the wireless connection has actually been made). Hit the power button on XBMC and select restart XBMC. I dont mean to actually restart the computer just XBMC.

That restarts the whole computer...I have XBMC Live installed right on the computer. I am unsure of how to restart XBMC through any other method though

Another fun fact, I can ping my XBMC machine from other computers on the network as well...which adds to the frustration.
FishOil Wrote:It might be that XBMC has started too quickly (before the wireless connection has actually been made). Hit the power button on XBMC and select restart XBMC. I dont mean to actually restart the computer just XBMC.

Okay...that was the problem. I figured out I could just hit exit xbmc rather than resart and it would just exit xbmc, and then when I restarted the xbmc-live service it worked fine. The only problem is there any way to prevent that from happening? I dont want to have to do that every time I start this thing up.
complete shot in the dark here (I don't know much about linux), but you may need to start the driver by calling it in /etc/rc.local . my xbox 360 controllers won't work if I don't start them through this
Bizarro181 Wrote:Okay...that was the problem. I figured out I could just hit exit xbmc rather than resart and it would just exit xbmc, and then when I restarted the xbmc-live service it worked fine. The only problem is there any way to prevent that from happening? I dont want to have to do that every time I start this thing up.

I dont know what type of install you have but I add a 15 second delay to make sure the wireless starts before XBMC.
FishOil Wrote:I dont know what type of install you have but I add a 15 second delay to make sure the wireless starts before XBMC.

I'm seeing similar behavior to what Bizarro181 described (having to restart XBMC for it to have a happy network connection). Can you expand on how to add a delay before XBMC's startup?

I have a Dharma RC1 live install and am new to Linux.
jjblues12 Wrote:I'm seeing similar behavior to what Bizarro181 described (having to restart XBMC for it to have a happy network connection). Can you expand on how to add a delay before XBMC's startup?

I have a Dharma RC1 live install and am new to Linux.

In /usr/bin/runXBMC you will see

Code:
#!/bin/bash

#      Copyright (C) 2005-2008 Team XBMC
#      http://www.xbmc.org
#
#  This Program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
#  any later version.
#
#  This Program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with XBMC; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
#  the Free Software Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
#  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

That is the comment section of that file

put
Code:
sleep 10

at the bottom of the comment section

It will look like this

Code:
#!/bin/bash

#      Copyright (C) 2005-2008 Team XBMC
#      http://www.xbmc.org
#
#  This Program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
#  any later version.
#
#  This Program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with XBMC; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
#  the Free Software Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
#  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

sleep 10

Dont modify anything else.

To do the actual edit

Code:
sudo nano /usr/bin/runXBMC

After you make the change

Save the file with

ctrl+o <-----thats the letter o not a ZERO

exit the editor with

ctrl+x

Reboot

adjust the sleep 10 to suit your needs.
Thumbs Up 
That did it. Thanks for the speedy & detailed response!Smile
Hi

I was having the exact same problem as jjblues12.

Wired = everything worked fine.
Wireless = Weather wasn't displaying, couldnt reach the internet through the XBMC GUI. But i could see my files on a PC on my network. and I could ping http://www.ubuntu.com.

So then i added the "sleep 10" to the /usr/bin/runXBMC
after i reboot, weather was working and i could reach the outside, but now I cant see my files on the network.

very confused. Im a complete linux noob, but ive got everything up and running up until this point, over a wired connection.

thanks for your time

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wireless connected but not working0