Question about coding support for DVD stump files
I'm working on implementing support for DVD stub files (files with zero size and .dvd extension) to allow DVD cataloging, etc.. Got a question about something related to this ...

I'm trying to check if the file in question is such a dvd stub file while in the CThumbExtractor:: DoWork class (since if this is a stub file, there's obviously no thumb to extract, plus this is also where functions get called to set the stream details like the codec, etc.). The first problem I'm having is that the path that's part of the m_item variable (type CFileItem) points to a database path (for example: "videodb://1/2/1").

What would be the best way to handle this? Personally I would assume the correct method would be to get the actual file name based on that videodb path and then check if the filename has the .dvd extension. If that is the correct approach, can any dev help out and give me pointers on how to do that? EDIT: figured out how to get the actual filename, but still would like to know if this is the correct approach.

Or should such a situation be handled differently? Should I maybe be expanding the CFileItem class to handle dvd stub files and have some sort of bool flag to signal if it's a stub file. If that's the case then during which part of the whole process of scanning a file into the videodb should this flag be set?

Any help that any devs can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
Using the path seems reasonable to me - it's how we do everything else.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Using the path seems reasonable to me - it's how we do everything else.

Awesome. In that case I got that all figured out then. My next step is to figure out a way to present the user with a dialog box with Play Eject Cancel buttons when they try to play out of these stump files.

Thanks,
Harry
How would you handle multiple dvd drives ?
When are you planning on creating these DVD stub files ?
Any plan on supporting DVD Rippping ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
CrashX Wrote:How would you handle multiple dvd drives ?
No need, since this isn't offline support, it's a way to catalog DVDs. Here's more info on the idea: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=24443&page=9 starting with post 83.
Quote:When are you planning on creating these DVD stub files ?
Any plan on supporting DVD Rippping ?
The files would be stored in the same location as your media ... in other words anywhere you want. They are simply zero size files that represent your DVDs and when you try to play them XBMC will ask for the DVD.

Thanks,
Harry

EDIT: Or did you mean how would we handle multiple dvd drives when asking the user to insert the disc? If that's the case, then it would be handled the same way as how XBMC handles multiple drives right now, I believe it only deals with the first drive it finds.
Most of the discussion about this seems to be happening in another thread, but since it's related to this I figure I should update this thread with a link to the actual submitted patch: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10384

Thanks,
Harry
Just a bump to this thread hoping to get the attention of one of the devs. If one of the devs happens to have some spare time to check out the patch mentioned above (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10384), any feedback would be much appreciated. I know this is something that none of the devs are really interested in but it would be nice if the patch could make it into the SVN (or let me know what needs to be changed in order to make it into the SVN).

Thanks,
Harry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about coding support for DVD stump files0