[LINUX] XCI (XBMC Complete Installer) project up for grabs!
Information 
A long time ago me and andy blackburn put our heads together and started developing a comprehensive post install script known later as XCI. Andy was the main developer doing most the code himself.

Mostly my part was research, testing, support and finding those nifty fixes other users found, many come from these forums, or even coming up with my own. I was also responsible for making the script as easy to use as possible while making it look funky. I took care of the PPA's fully. PPA's add extensibility and bug fixes and mainly meant to stop us using unreliable 3rd party ppa's. Still much to be done there mainly video drivers.

While it has been a long run, over a year, XCI has its own forums, wiki in development PPA's and blog, I advertised many times for help but few have stepped up or maintained contact and their work on documentation and other positions which are still mostly available.. peeps who where working on documentaion also M. I. A.

This was mainly because we wanted to set up our own systems properly, that has been achieved a long time ago, and for over 6 months I have been alone at all of it.

I am seriously ill and cannot take on this kind of project, I tried and tried but in the end its a no go, I just cant function at that level anymore.

To read more about this go here

I hope people understand and not flame me, but I have been flamed for less here, but I guess it's up to each person to belive or not what they want.

I hope that people will take it over and continue improving it, I will try my best to facilitate the transition.

Anyone is seriously interested in taking it over and making it what we intended it to be (a tool for anyone to create a perfect HTPC NOT following ubuntu releases but XBMC), please pm me.

Regards to all.
I have used your script in the past.

Thank you for your hard work.
I don't use it, but I look into it.

I'm very sorry for your illness. I hope you do get better soon!
i'm using your great script.
Thank you

Sad to hear you're ill.
thx

I only posted here to get more exposure to the fact the project is up for grabs.

As for my health, I don't expect a speedy recovery, such is the nature of it.

Please help spread the word and find talent to take the project over.
Remember it doesn't require advanced skills, just the willingness to learn. When I started I knew 0 about Linux now I know -10

Regards.
Thanks for the hard work, I used the script during Camelot. It was much better then the live at the time.

Hopefully someone takes it over.
I am sorry to hear this X3, I really hope you will get better!

As for the XCI project, I will of course be willing to donate to anyone who is willing to continue this amazing app / script / project.
thx for the kind words everyone

I doubt anyone will bother.... No one wants to help never mind take it over.

nm...
XCI has closed doors for further development with release of Version 1.0999.

I did all I could including adding support to compile from GIT, since XBMC dropped SVN.

XCI is also opensource GPLV3 so no one needs to ask me for authorization to do anything to it whatever that may be...

Thx for all your support but I have my health and real life calling.

Regards.
further information on XCI script.

http://x3webworx.wordpress.com/2011/03/0...nd-beyond/
X3lectric Wrote:I advertised many times for help but few have stepped up or maintained contact
tell me about it! i've threatened to quit (and i'm still on the brink of doing so), and even that didn't bring any more coders to my project :p

X3lectric Wrote:Remember it doesn't require advanced skills, just the willingness to learn. When I started I knew 0 about Linux now I know -10
i think this is a major problem that more people don't realise this. it is completely possible to go from coding noob to multiple addon creator/maintainer within a month.

hope you get better soon! administering/coding projects is surprisingly stressful.
First of all: Thank you for your time and dedication for this project. I didn't use it, but sure as hell could at the time Wink

I am currently looking into giving something back to the great community. I don't want to do this only by being more active in the forums and help people with addons/programs I already know but also by adding some things people actually want. I def. will look into your script and see how far I can get. I have a regular job to take care of, so there is not much time at hands. But surely I could contribute and I'm already getting a lot better with bash-scripting (it is really not that difficult...)
HenryFord Wrote:First of all: Thank you for your time and dedication for this project. I didn't use it, but sure as hell could at the time Wink

I am currently looking into giving something back to the great community. I don't want to do this only by being more active in the forums and help people with addons/programs I already know but also by adding some things people actually want. I def. will look into your script and see how far I can get. I have a regular job to take care of, so there is not much time at hands. But surely I could contribute and I'm already getting a lot better with bash-scripting (it is really not that difficult...)

would be great to see a addon that updates video drivers (user could choose/add ppa or source for them) and compiles xbmc from git....

Starting with Linux which is the only platform that doesn't have official nightlies after 6 months in comparison to all others which are closed source platforms.
I hope to look into this soon - unfortunetaly my personal-/job-life is killing my time currently. Should be figured out soon, around July/August
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XCI (XBMC Complete Installer) project up for grabs!0