MySQL, folder.jpg and extrathumbs...
I'm having an issue today getting the shared MySQL DB to work with MOVIES in XBMC Dharma 3 and figure/hope it's a user error - Just not sure which step I missed.

Win7 box (SERVER) hosts MySQL and database, local XBMC on that box displays folder.jpg just fine. Remote mac mini box (MINI) sees the database but only fanart, and does not see folder.jpg or extrathumbs. Extrathumbs are blank, and for folder.jpg, XBMC is creating its own screenshot from the video and using it to make the thumbnail. I use ember to manage my media so NFO and all artwork (thumbnails named "folder.jpg") are stored local in each movie folder.

SMB shares were set up on Win7 host system as smb:// with user:pass@Server and everything else.

Deleting item from the library on the remote machine (MINI) and rescanning library fixes folder.jpg issue but still skin does not see extrathumbs.

XBMC on remote system (MINI) is definitely grabbing fanart on server/host system. Just seems to ignore folder.jpg and extrathumbs.

HelpHuh
Just a little extra interesting info...

If I totally purge the SQL database on the server, and recreate it on the server system, the remote system does use the proper folder.jpg but only for those I have manually purged and rescanned on the remote system previously. So really as it works right now it sort of defeats the purpose of a universal library because they only way to get it to sync artwork is to manually remove and re-add anything that the SQL database adds.

Is this just a known error/issue with poster art and extrathumbs and MySQL right now?
Little extra info.

Seems that the proper folder.jpg/poster displays on the system that the scan is run on. I scanned to library on the remote system and suddenly the thumbnails were perfect. However, then the HOST system (where the actual files are located) showed random screen grabs as the folder.jpg/thumbnails. So it seems that location isn't the issue when it comes to folder.jpg.

Extrathumbs, however, DO only display on the local machine and do not display on the remote system no matter what. They just are blank. Not sure how/if this will even be possible using MySQL. But I'd settle for working folder.jpg for now. Fanart works fine no matter what system I am on, so I can't help but think this must be a bug.
folder.jpg isn't displayed when browsing library it's the cached image in the thumbnail folder. At present to get the covers to display you need to either refresh/access info on each movie on the remote boxes, sync the thumbnails forder or create a symlink for the folder.
Craig,

Thanks a lot for responding. What I was hoping for is for whenever I add a new movie for it to automatically show the folder.jpg the same way it's showing the fanart. Is there a reason this works for fanart.jpg but not folder.jpg?

I can live with doing the refresh but is there a way to do a mass refresh? Updating library doesn't work to switch the thumbnail, only deleting and then re-adding seems to work. Clean library and update library both did not change the thumbnails. I could live with it if I didn't have to do this one movie at a time and just do some sort of mass refresh to update all the thumbnails.

As extrathumbs seems to only be supported on the fly in the skin, I don't expect there's any way to make that work using MySQL in beta 3.

Regarding the symlinks, is that possible when I am storing all the thumbnails local with each movie folder or not possible right now when using 1 folder per movie with all artwork saved within?

Thanks again for the reply.
the default files in your folder are only used when scraping initially, there after xbmc goes to the userdata\thumbnails for all files.

Extrathumbs, logos clearart, etc. aren't handled by default in xbmc and are only handled at a skinning level, where the skin looks for these files varies. I don't use extra thumbs so can't advise but you may need to delete the textures.db from your userdata\databases to get them.

symlinks will work for covers etc. as they are all stored in the thumbnails folder when xbmc accesses them. the performance and worth will depend on network performance though.

I use synctoy on windows to keep the folders synced with a simple bat file to automate updating your os chases may dictate what options have for that, some use dropbox etc. have a look through the main mysql thread and you should get plenty of info.
Awesome. That was the info that I needed. Symbolic links to a common Thumbnails folder. That worked.

For those looking for details with this issue, check this post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=605915&postcount=2

I shared my Thumbnails folder from my PC where SQL and XBMC are running -- This is the PC I actually will update my library sources on.

Then, I used the ln -s command on both my Linux and my OSX machines to create a symbolic link to Thumbnails on that server, located where xbmc looks for its Thumbnails folder.

This should work just fine. We'll see how the speeds are.

Now, if only there was a fix for extrathumbs, it would be ideal. Still, updating one library and seeing the folders and fanart automatically show up on my other 2 installs (2 different OSes no less) is cool.
BDPNA Wrote:Awesome. That was the info that I needed. Symbolic links to a common Thumbnails folder. That worked.
We'll see how the speeds are.

I've been using symlinks for the Thumbnails folder for a Revo 1600/XBMCLive (d3) going to a DNS-321 (which aren't the fastest NAS on the block), and speed (more so latency) is actually quite good. Don't forget to enable DDS.

XBMCLive w/ a networked Thumbnails folder actually preformed better than Win7/XBMC w/ a local Thumbnails folder on the Revo 1600! I'm so glad I moved to Live.
craigd Wrote:the default files in your folder are only used when scraping initially, there after xbmc goes to the userdata\thumbnails for all files.

Extrathumbs, logos clearart, etc. aren't handled by default in xbmc and are only handled at a skinning level, where the skin looks for these files varies. I don't use extra thumbs so can't advise but you may need to delete the textures.db from your userdata\databases to get them.

symlinks will work for covers etc. as they are all stored in the thumbnails folder when xbmc accesses them. the performance and worth will depend on network performance though.

I use synctoy on windows to keep the folders synced with a simple bat file to automate updating your os chases may dictate what options have for that, some use dropbox etc. have a look through the main mysql thread and you should get plenty of info.

thx craigd for this summary. now i know how it works.

bdpna - months ago i symlinked the whole databas folder to get the same database on every client (win7pc + mac mini + vaio notebook).

and i was so happy to get the mysql implementation some monts later. because smb sucks and is so slow.

also it doesnt work the same way like your for me because i use the mysql database on a synology NAS.

only way for me: get back to symlinking and save the thumbnails folder directly to the NAS.

not a cool way i think.
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
This is great info. As I was having the same problem after an upgrade.
One thing left unanswered...
Is there a way to do a 'mass refresh'?

Even though I copied over my 'old' thumbnails folder and I can see the local images as correct manually, XBMC has replaced them all with screenshots until I refresh.
BDPNA Wrote:Awesome. That was the info that I needed. Symbolic links to a common Thumbnails folder. That worked.

For those looking for details with this issue, check this post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=605915&postcount=2

I shared my Thumbnails folder from my PC where SQL and XBMC are running -- This is the PC I actually will update my library sources on.

Then, I used the ln -s command on both my Linux and my OSX machines to create a symbolic link to Thumbnails on that server, located where xbmc looks for its Thumbnails folder.

This should work just fine. We'll see how the speeds are.

Now, if only there was a fix for extrathumbs, it would be ideal. Still, updating one library and seeing the folders and fanart automatically show up on my other 2 installs (2 different OSes no less) is cool.

Hi BDPNA I was wondering if you could help me. I have a mac as well. I tried ln -s with so many combinations of code in the forums and nothing seems to work. I have shared my thumbnails folder on my main machine but I have not been able to create symbolic links. I keep getting "no such file" after any and all combinations. If you could lay out the unix code on how you got it to work that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
boogaloo Wrote:Hi BDPNA I was wondering if you could help me. I have a mac as well. I tried ln -s with so many combinations of code in the forums and nothing seems to work. I have shared my thumbnails folder on my main machine but I have not been able to create symbolic links. I keep getting "no such file" after any and all combinations. If you could lay out the unix code on how you got it to work that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

it works! definitly. just use ln -s in Mac OS X. maybe you have problem with connecting to the smb share? maybe you should try symlinking a test dir locally first? When this works you can test a smb-share.

btw:i use thumbnail syncing through dropbox with 3 pc's (2x windows 7, 1x macOS X) and it works very well. in my case its the better way than syncing with a thumbnail-folder on a smb-share. its faster and i do not need to connect to the NAS everytime.
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
ringgh0st Wrote:it works! definitly. just use ln -s in Mac OS X. maybe you have problem with connecting to the smb share? maybe you should try symlinking a test dir locally first? When this works you can test a smb-share.

btw:i use thumbnail syncing through dropbox with 3 pc's (2x windows 7, 1x macOS X) and it works very well. in my case its the better way than syncing with a thumbnail-folder on a smb-share. its faster and i do not need to connect to the NAS everytime.

Thanks for the reply. I did try ln -s with all different types of code but could not get it to work. I shared my thumbnails folder through preferences and it shows up if smb my ip address. I am at a loss.

Unfortunately dropbox would not work with my apple tv 2. If you could list the code for me on how you got it to work that would be great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL, folder.jpg and extrathumbs...2