QFPXE install server for HTPC - Diskless PXE network boot installations of XBMC
Thumbs Up 
I have created a pxe install server with the intention that it should be used to install xbmc on boxes with no CD. No more USB problem.
The system could be deployed as a LiveCD or a virtual machine.

Version 0.00.02:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/qfpxeinstaller/
user qfpxe pwd pxeme

Just boot the liveCD on any machine in your net and you will be able install your htpc (or other machine) over the network.

The idea was to install xbmcLive this way. This was not possible because xbmclive does not contain a initrd with network access and I dont have time/skills to workaround that or rebuild the cd.

I decided to finish the work anyway. It can still be usefull, you can install xbmcbuntu or if someone upload a xbmcLive clone for your hardware you can use this solution to load the clone without cd/usb.

I had an idea to combine it with the xci script but now I am not sure if that project will continue.

The project is in alpha status.
Functionality:
  • Boot Lucid Live CD
  • Install lucid mini
  • Install cli system from cd on pxe server
  • Install desktop system from cd on pxe server
  • gparted
  • clonezilla
It is all working when running in a virtual machine, but for the moment NFS does not work on the LiveCD. Meaning that only the installation functionality works. Not sure if it can be fixed or I need to replace nfs with http or something else. The CD needs a lot more testing before I know if it is a working alternativ. If it does not work the cd can be used to install to a virtual or physical machine instead.

If anyone wants to test this let me know.

Version 0.00.02:
Ok, I have struggled to upload the file samewhere. I ended up with a torrent. It is just too slow to upload it to sourceforge.

What is working:
  • LiveCD
  • mini install
  • gparted
  • Clonezilla
I deleted the Ubuntu Desktop to save space since it requires nfs and I have not made that work in the LiveCD yet.
If you install it you can copy the content of lucid.desktop (including hidde) it should work.

On the desktop there is a shortcut to the config script.

Known problems:
  • The error handling in the script does not work, the script abort if there is a problem. If it is working you should see: " wait 15s or press any key"
  • It happens once that tftp hanged. sudo service tftpd-hpa restart
  • Perhaps a performance problem but gparted sometimes have to be booted twice.

All errors so far have been fixed by rebooting either the server or the client.
that's the same functionality as my xbmc-diskless package provides. check out my sig.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
I haven't tried it yet, but was not the purpose with your system to run xbmc with no disks? I will have to read it more carefully.
I am installing to the local disk.
Very, very cool! I'll have to try it out. dushmaniac, vikjon0 is correct. His setup is for a network install to local disk whereas yours is for diskless installation i.e. bootp or pxe for each bootup.
Quote:I'll have to try it out.
What format is most interesting? virtual machine or cd/dvd?

Anyone know the best place to upload something like this? The full system containing a copy of ubuntudesktop is 1.4Gb. I will probably lose the ubuntudesktop and get it down to a CD. If the system then is installed to disk the desktop CD can be downloaded to get full functionality.
vikjon0 Wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but was not the purpose with your system to run xbmc with no disks? I will have to read it more carefully.
I am installing to the local disk.
ah yeah, then I misunderstood it. I'm not installing to the disk.

if you check out my sources, you'll see how I'm using debootstrap etc. to set up the image and install xbmc. you should be able to do the same in your code. we could even think to combine our functionality into 1 package, because the code will have a lot of similarities.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
vikjon0 Wrote:What format is most interesting? virtual machine or cd/dvd?

Anyone know the best place to upload something like this? The full system containing a copy of ubuntudesktop is 1.4Gb. I will probably lose the ubuntudesktop and get it down to a CD. If the system then is installed to disk the desktop CD can be downloaded to get full functionality.
I'd be more interested in optical media for the install, preferably CD, but DVD would work as well. I'll definitely keep this thread bookmarked.
Ok, I have struggled to upload the file samewhere. I ended up with a torrent. It is just too slow to upload it to sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qfpxeins...t/download

user qfpxe pwd pxeme

What is working:
  • LiveCD
  • mini install
  • gparted
  • Clonezilla
I deleted the Ubuntu Desktop to save space since it requires nfs and I have not made that work in the LiveCD yet.
If you install it you can copy the content of lucid.desktop (including hidde) it should work.

On the desktop there is a shortcut to the config script.

Known problems:
  • The error handling in the script does not work, the script abort if there is a problem. If it is working you should see: " wait 15s or press any key"
  • It happened once that tftp hanged. sudo service tftpd-hpa restart
  • Perhaps a performance problem but gparted sometimes have to be booted twice.

All errors so far have been fixed by rebooting either the server or the client.
Ok, since people seem to struggle with the torrent I have uploaded the full iso.
any comment on this? A few people have downloaded but no feedback.

Since I am not able to get the installer to work I have been considering a few other scenarios.
(why? I guess a need a hobby. Perhaps I need to get into coding some add-ons or something instead since no devs seem to be interested in this)

1) Creating a disk image and put on DVD/PXE with:
grub:
---Boot xbmc
---Boot Clonzilla
---Restore xbmc
---Backup xbmc
Disk:
SDA1 - Clonezilla live
SDA2 - Image storage for clonezilla
SDA3 - xbmc partition
SDA4 - swap(?)
SDA5 - Media/Storage

You then need to download a HW specific xbmc image or create a HW specific clonezilla DVD/PXE.

2) Convert the xbmc USB installer to a HD installer and put it on a clonezilla image and add "install xbmc from HD" into the scenario above.
Should be easier than installing with PXE since no network is needed.

I think this could be pretty nice...especially if I got some help with the live installer.
Not a problem to install from HD:

Quote:menuentry "install xbmc" {
set gfxpayload=text
loopback loop (hd0,1)/home/vikjon0/xbmc.iso
linux (loop)/install/vmlinuz iso-scan/filename=/home/vikjon0/xbmc.iso noprompt noeject quiet splash preseed/file=/cdrom/install/preseed.cfg cdrom-detect/try-usb=true
initrd (loop)/install/initrd.gz
}
I'd give it a try, but my HTPC is out of commission right now. I'm redoing the room that it's in, and I probably won't be able to hook everything up for about a month yet.
Well nice software.
Any sources available ?
I havent done anywork on this for a long time. In the real world an USB installer is a better solution for normal people.
I never managed to install xbmc over pxe since the installer was not allowing for it out of the box. I did some work on modding the package but my linux skills are not really on that level.

I don't have any souce code for the live CD solution. A few simple start scripts is all I did and they only exists in the iso.

If I would re-do it now I would base it on the XBMCbuntu SDK, that would be some fun.
Perhaps the installer would work in current version. I don't have a clue.

The "source" for the pxe installer is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1606910
Must of my own work is in relation to the proxy dhcp setup. It was a bit tricky to get that to work.

Let me know if any work is done on this. If anyone could be bothered to test if latest gotham installs in above described setup I would like to know. I could probably build a xbmcbuntu iso that publish it self as a pxe server.
Well I wanted to add an entry for different flavors of linux but
I can't see how I could do this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QFPXE install server for HTPC - Diskless PXE network boot installations of XBMC0