Using this Android XBMC Remote on one of those cheap eBay Android tablets?
ive done a quick search but there isnt much to go on.

has anyone tested it with one? i know they often use an old version of android and are rather underpowered, but id quite fancy using one solely as an xbmc remote.

i mean ones like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Notebook-Tablet-...1e5e7c98f4
i'm using an archos 7ht, which has gotten some pretty bad reviews. i love it, and it's a fantastic remote for xbmc except for the fact that it doesn't have hardware volume buttons and can't control the volume. for that i use a vnc server to directly control the pcs volume.it's running android 1.5, with a custom rom.
Most of the Android tablets run Android 1.6 . 2.2 I believe is the current version, but 2.3 is due out soon.
This one has much better specs, but is still Android 1.6 . It might be that 1.6 is more stable, or the newer versions require more CPU power.
If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
I was thinking of buying an Android tablet for the same reason!

Actually I wanted to wait for a cheap tablet with capacitive display as the XBMC Remote requires lots of scrolling.

So how about the screen response of the Archos 7? It has a resistive display right?
AussieFries Wrote:I was thinking of buying an Android tablet for the same reason!

Actually I wanted to wait for a cheap tablet with capacitive display as the XBMC Remote requires lots of scrolling.

So how about the screen response of the Archos 7? It has a resistive display right?

I have bought a 1&1 Smartpadjust for this pupose... It has a resistive display, too... unfortunately some of the screens in xbmcremote are not ooptimzied for using in landscape mode. Some of them even don't support it.

I had some problems with the installation: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84140

But now it runs great and Ican recommend this solution. Maybe there are better devices than the 1&1 Smartpad which you can get for about 100 euro at eBay.
HI,
I have bought a EPAD ZT-180 from China which is a 10" Tablet with USB / Ethernet interface additional to WLAN. This was also the main reason why I have bought is that I could use normal Ethernet. Anyway when I run the XBMC remote control from "Beungoud" I could configure the setting with good results, but when I switch to official XBMC Remote I got only the feedback that I need the set the setting and should enter the menue, but there is no menue available or settings button, there is a host not detecting but I don't know where I could do this ?
Many thanks in advance
Bjoern
P.S. So I use my EPAD with Ethernet only and without WLAN, could I use this tool anyway ?
On the Tablet is Adroid 2.1 running ...
the 7ht has a resistive display that only bugs me when i use the on screen keyboard in portrait mode. tiny buttons =mucho mistakes. but never having used a capacitive one much, i think it works great. i bet if you're used to a capacitive one you might have a learning curve tho
pirat74: The stress is on the existing internet connection. So the remote works if it has internet connection regardless it's wireless, ethernet or 3G.

The menu is accessible through the hardware "menu" button. If your tablet is an Android device then it should have that.
HI,
many thanks, I didn't fopunf this buttom until yesterday .. so I have input the Host info and it works ... nice view so could recommand this device for 150 Euro which I will use as a kind of photo frame with standing on the cupboard and remote item for MP3 music ...
Kind wishes Bjoern
Cracking unit these. i went for haipad m7001 with hdmi.
The remote works well and look the dogs!!!!Nod
No if only we could play tracks etc loaded on the tablet through the tablet as well. Now that would be the absolute dogs then Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using this Android XBMC Remote on one of those cheap eBay Android tablets?0