HTPC + LIVE + HP IR + Logitech Harmony 880
Total Life Saver... just setup a new XBMC box for my parents, exact same spec as my own, setup so that I knew exactly how to get XBMC Live up and running. Everything perfect except for the remote, nightmare! 15 minutes after reading this thread my HP remote was working as normal, phew LaughLaugh
Yay, used the info here to add my HP receiver from eBay.

I was able to go up to 0.8.7, but that didn't appear to have the drivers either.

My ID was ID 1934:5168. The 1934 was already setup as a Finetek or whatever, so I just needed to add the 5168 portion.

Works beautifully now!
stiggs Wrote:sorry this is a little off topic but it has been troubling me for ages.
When i go to "activities->xbmc" on my logitech remote it switches the tv to hdmi but also seems to toggle the power on xbmc so it shuts down my box (which was already on - of course nothing happens if the box if off to begin). Is there something I am overlooking in the logitech interface so it wont poweroff?

thank you

stiggs

I just got a harmony remote yesterday and started configuring it last night. I had a similar issue with my Topfield PVR (not got around to configuring my XBMC machine yet). I can't recall exactly where but you find a tab for configuring your devices and there should be an option to control power. Change it to keep the device always on: the harmony will not try to control power and you will have to do it 'manually'.

Hope it helps!

----
asrock ion 330pro, xbmc (yavdr 0.3 - pvr), hdmi out to LG TV
gastric Wrote:Sorry that I never completed a true start-to-finish guide. Sad

After successfully editing lirc_mceusb.c to include the device ID for your hardware do the following. I think this is the proper steps.

sudo su
sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.6 --all
sudo dkms add -m lirc -v 0.8.6
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 build
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 install
sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb
sudo rmmod lirc_dev
sudo modprobe lirc_mceusb
sudo modprobe lirc_dev
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart

I've spent so many hours on this, it shouldn't be this hard. The strange thing is I did have this working, then I rebooted or did something(?) else and it broke. Anyways I have the same IR receiver as you. I've recompiled support and loaded the module just as you have. I just can't get any response anymore. I do see the hardware:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1934:5168

The problem is I can see my process running, and it seems to be pointing to /dev/usb0 which doesn't exist on my system. Should it?

root 2531 0.0 0.0 3124 572 ? Ss 21:22 0:00 /usr/sbin/lircd --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc0

Help? Sad

EDIT: I got this working. I did the build of the module again but this time I chose Microsoft Windows Media Center V2 (usb) : Direct TV Receiver instead of None in the LIRC setup.
khurley Wrote:stiggs

I just got a harmony remote yesterday and started configuring it last night. I had a similar issue with my Topfield PVR (not got around to configuring my XBMC machine yet). I can't recall exactly where but you find a tab for configuring your devices and there should be an option to control power. Change it to keep the device always on: the harmony will not try to control power and you will have to do it 'manually'.

Hope it helps!

----
asrock ion 330pro, xbmc (yavdr 0.3 - pvr), hdmi out to LG TV

Yes, it did help. Thanks alot khurley that saved me alot of headaches. It's working just as I had hoped now
nvm, got it figured out Smile
Hello everybody.

I got my receiver from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...OU:US:1123 yesterday, but i can't get it to work.
I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu 10.10 and installed Lirc from the repository (couldn't get it to work from the .bz2)
I'm trying to follow this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal...%20remotes
But when i get to nr 7:
Quote:7. Now it's time to build your new one.
sudo dkms add -m lirc -v 0.8.3~pre1
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.3~pre1 build
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.3~pre1 install
i get an error when running "build", and therefor i also get an error when running "install".

Have anyone else had this problem?
i'll post the error message when i get home from work.

Best regards,
Sindre
I just had to do this again after a clean LIVE! 10.1 install and compiled the full step-by-step directions.

1. CTRL+ALT+F1 to enter Linux command prompt
  2. SUDO IRW
  3. Press some keys on your remote, nothing will likely appear on screen
  4. SUDO APT-GET INSTALL LIRC-MODULES-SOURCE
  5. FIND / -NAME 'LIRC_MCEUSB.C'
  6. Note the full path which should be /user/src/lirc-0.8.6/drivers/lirc_mceusb/lirc_mceusb.c
  7. CD /USER/SRC/LIRC-0.8.6/DRIVERS/LIRC_MCEUSB
  8. VI LIRC_MCEUSB.C
  9. User arrow keys to scroll down. Towards the top there's a master list of vendors and their vendor ID, scroll past that until you see a large list of vendor names and device ID. My vendor ID is in the list as FINTEK so I scrolled down and simply modified an existing device ID.
  10. Use the DEL key to delete the current device ID, 0x0602
  11. Press the INS key to be able to type the new device ID 0x5168
  12. Press the INS key to exit typing mode
  13. :W
  14. :Q
  15. sudo su
  16. sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.6 --all
  17. sudo dkms add -m lirc -v 0.8.6
  18. sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 build
  19. sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 install
  20. sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb
  21. sudo rmmod lirc_dev
  22. sudo modprobe lirc_mceusb
  23. sudo modprobe lirc_dev
  24. sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart
  25. sudo irw
  26. Press keys on your remote, you should see them registered on screen
  27. CTRL+C
  28. sudo reboot
  29. Enjoy using your remote

Hopefully I fully documented all of the directions properly and without any typos.

Good luck! Smile
Excellent!
I'll try this when i get home today.

I'm running full ubuntu 10.10 as OS. Not the Live-cd.
For now, i think i have done everything correct. lsusb -> correct numbers into lirc_mceusb.c, build correctly, but nothing happens in irw.
dmesg shows the receiver connecting/disconnecting correctly.

I think i have narrowed things down to "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" <- not showing anything similar to my IR device.
Anybody knows how i can fix this?

BR
Sindre
RuZleBiFf Wrote:Excellent!
I'll try this when i get home today.

I'm running full ubuntu 10.10 as OS. Not the Live-cd.
For now, i think i have done everything correct. lsusb -> correct numbers into lirc_mceusb.c, build correctly, but nothing happens in irw.
dmesg shows the receiver connecting/disconnecting correctly.

I think i have narrowed things down to "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" <- not showing anything similar to my IR device.
Anybody knows how i can fix this?

BR
Sindre

After building, you did remove the old modules from the kernel and put in the newones you built with the below steps, correct?

sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb
sudo rmmod lirc_dev
sudo modprobe lirc_mceusb
sudo modprobe lirc_dev
Yes, i did this, and double-checked that they were gone (rmmod lirc_ + tab to list avaible modules)

I did this with a single sudo command, not as root (sudo su)

Gastric: How is youre hardware.conf looking?

BR
gastric Wrote:I just had to do this again after a clean LIVE! 10.1 install and compiled the full step-by-step directions.

1. CTRL+ALT+F1 to enter Linux command prompt
  2. SUDO IRW
  3. Press some keys on your remote, nothing will likely appear on screen
  4. SUDO APT-GET INSTALL LIRC-MODULES-SOURCE
  5. FIND / -NAME 'LIRC_MCEUSB.C'
  6. Note the full path which should be /user/src/lirc-0.8.6/drivers/lirc_mceusb/lirc_mceusb.c
  7. CD /USER/SRC/LIRC-0.8.6/DRIVERS/LIRC_MCEUSB
  8. VI LIRC_MCEUSB.C
  9. User arrow keys to scroll down. Towards the top there's a master list of vendors and their vendor ID, scroll past that until you see a large list of vendor names and device ID. My vendor ID is in the list as FINTEK so I scrolled down and simply modified an existing device ID.
  10. Use the DEL key to delete the current device ID, 0x0602
  11. Press the INS key to be able to type the new device ID 0x5168
  12. Press the INS key to exit typing mode
  13. :W
  14. :Q
  15. sudo su
  16. sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.6 --all
  17. sudo dkms add -m lirc -v 0.8.6
  18. sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 build
  19. sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 install
  20. sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb
  21. sudo rmmod lirc_dev
  22. sudo modprobe lirc_mceusb
  23. sudo modprobe lirc_dev
  24. sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart
  25. sudo irw
  26. Press keys on your remote, you should see them registered on screen
  27. CTRL+C
  28. sudo reboot
  29. Enjoy using your remote

Hopefully I fully documented all of the directions properly and without any typos.

Good luck! Smile

can any IR receiver be used or does it have to be an HP one? I will buy specifically what you did if you I can get this to work.
I finally got it to work! Don't know what i did different this time.. Hehe.
Thank everyone for great help!
Fantastic. Thank you soo much.

I have a hard time getting this to identify in Windows, and couldn't get any remote to function when the receiver finally was installed.

My main goal was to get this working in XBMC Live , and I took the plunge as a last resort.

Brillant. Bloody brillant. +1 Rep. ThanksLaugh
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC + LIVE + HP IR + Logitech Harmony 8802