Acer Revo + XBMC + DVB-S + TVHeadend = Solution?
So far, so good. I'm over the moon with my HTPC setup barring on thing, I now want (if possible) to add FreeSat HD to my Revo.

I guess the thing I'm going to need is an External DVB-S device - USB?

Are there any recommendations and has anyone attempted to do this with a Revo?

I realise it's easier with a PC as you can add a great card, the Revo being a Nettop, not so easy...
Weeeellllll yesss, sort of...

Ideally you need to go to a server / client solution. I have this with a Revo.

My back end (big old tower machine) server has ~2.75 TB of storage a DVB-S card, a DVB-T card and runs ubuntu with myth-tv, squeezebox among other things. The drives are shared out via NFS for mounting and use on the Revo. This box is in my office and is hooked into the wired network. The Revo is in the lounge and is also hard-wired.

The Revo also has myth-tv frontend running and I have a script linked in via lirc that kills xbmc and runs up mythtv-frontend when the live tv button is pressed.

Ideally I want to integrate myth watching into the xbmc system (which you can do via a myth share or via mythbox) but it doesnt handle interlacing properly via vdpau (needed for BBC HD etc) in camelot so its on hold.

Cheers

Ed
So what your saying is get a card for my Home PC, permanently have that on and stream the TV Feed across the network to my Revo.

At the moment, my Revo has 4x 1TB USB drives attached and runs very well. I thought streaming 720p across a network from a server would slow things down (viewing and navigating XBMC), which is why I never done it this way.

Also, another reason for using the Revo is because it's more energy efficient than having my Tower on permanently.
DejaVu77 Wrote:I thought streaming 720p across a network from a server would slow things down (viewing and navigating XBMC), which is why I never done it this way.

I guess that the majority of people on here store all their media on a different system to the media center. Servers, NASes etc.

You can easily stream 1080p content across a wired ethernet connection.
No problem at all streaming over the LAN - a 100Mbit connection will transfer at a good few MB per second in real world terms, which is more than enough for even the highest bitrate 1080p content. Obviously if you have a gigabit connection this is even less of a worry.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo + XBMC + DVB-S + TVHeadend = Solution?0