Found a solution for nvidia owner's having glitches with HD video's
Hey guys, i wanted to post this, as i stumbled on it actually. I build daily, and used to have this issue when playing HD video's, which is best explained as any part's that are bright or much lighter in brightness, would keep flickering back and forth (every like 1/3 a second) light and darker, like some form of copy protection gone wrong.
I change video driver's frequently (each beta comes out) of nvidia drivers, and last night after a new SVN build, it was doing it again. I thought at first (shoot, something got broken again, thinking it was XBMC previously), and went into nvidia setting's, unchecking like 3-4 options, and noticed the HD video's (using pixel shader, and DXVA2 enabled of course.) we playing normal and fine now. I checked them back after discovering this was actually an nvidia setting causing this (not saying for SURE it's ONLY nvidia, and maybe has SOMETHING to do with XBMC using DXVA2 method's as well as this nvidia setting, but never the less, it fixes it, which is all that matter's.) and narrowed down the exact one that causes this behavior with HD video's.

Go into nVidia contol panel, go under "Video", then under "Advanced" then uncheck "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement", and VOILA, HD video's play normal and fine!!!! Hope that helps the one's that had that enabled, and wondered why your HD video's played all messed up like this. Made a Youtube video showing this bad glitch it causes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVUI5KrryY

Also mentioning this, in case it might actually be something part to do with XBMC in combination with that nvidia option, only wondering since it doesn't effect HD video's when playing in Mediaplayer, granted MP isn't likely using DXVA2, which i can confirm does have to also do with this video problem, as when unselected, it doesn't do this at all. But if it IS something that the XBMC team see's and looks into, and find's there's something that can be changed, by using this info posted, to stop this behaviour when the nvidia setting is checked on, then good, as every one with a nvidia card playing HD will benefit. But if not, it's not any major of an importance of a feature to use, and simply use these instruction's to turn that option off, and video's still play great, using HW acceleration still, win win either way really. It's a fix, not mattering if it's related at all or not with XBMC. It works never the less!!! Smile

I did convert it to SD just to save upload bandwidth since we're only using it to display the effect it makes.
OH MY GOD.

I've been trying to figure this out for AGES. I thought because no one else had this issue, that it was the fault of my video card.

Thank you so much.

I used this option because in Media Center, the blacks were being crushed during live TV.

XBMC Devs:
This DOESN'T mean XBMC isn't at fault here, or that there isn't a bug that needs fixing. Boxee, or any other app that takes advantage of DXVA, doesn't do this.
djdafreund Wrote:Hey guys, i wanted to post this, as i stumbled on it actually. I build daily, and used to have this issue when playing HD video's, which is best explained as any part's that are bright or much lighter in brightness, would keep flickering back and forth (every like 1/3 a second) light and darker, like some form of copy protection gone wrong.
I change video driver's frequently (each beta comes out) of nvidia drivers, and last night after a new SVN build, it was doing it again. I thought at first (shoot, something got broken again, thinking it was XBMC previously), and went into nvidia setting's, unchecking like 3-4 options, and noticed the HD video's (using pixel shader, and DXVA2 enabled of course.) we playing normal and fine now. I checked them back after discovering this was actually an nvidia setting causing this (not saying for SURE it's ONLY nvidia, and maybe has SOMETHING to do with XBMC using DXVA2 method's as well as this nvidia setting, but never the less, it fixes it, which is all that matter's.) and narrowed down the exact one that causes this behavior with HD video's.

Go into nVidia contol panel, go under "Video", then under "Advanced" then uncheck "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement", and VOILA, HD video's play normal and fine!!!! Hope that helps the one's that had that enabled, and wondered why your HD video's played all messed up like this. Made a Youtube video showing this bad glitch it causes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVUI5KrryY

Also mentioning this, in case it might actually be something part to do with XBMC in combination with that nvidia option, only wondering since it doesn't effect HD video's when playing in Mediaplayer, granted MP isn't likely using DXVA2, which i can confirm does have to also do with this video problem, as when unselected, it doesn't do this at all. But if it IS something that the XBMC team see's and looks into, and find's there's something that can be changed, by using this info posted, to stop this behaviour when the nvidia setting is checked on, then good, as every one with a nvidia card playing HD will benefit. But if not, it's not any major of an importance of a feature to use, and simply use these instruction's to turn that option off, and video's still play great, using HW acceleration still, win win either way really. It's a fix, not mattering if it's related at all or not with XBMC. It works never the less!!! Smile

I did convert it to SD just to save upload bandwidth since we're only using it to display the effect it makes.

I think I might seen this problem also with Nvidia ion setup. Problem is that i don't have that setting in nvidia controlpanel. Are you using latest drivers 260.99? What card you have?
yeah i dont see any options like that in my Nvidia control panel,,,,

could you post us a screenshot please?
Yeah i cant find that setting anywhere either. I've got an Nvidia ION that is having issues playing back high def videos
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
The NV Control Panel, go to Video, then 'adjust video color settings'. 'How do you set color adjustments?' must be set to 'With the NVIDIA settings'. Then in the Advanced tab, you'll find the dynamic contrast enhancement option. This is the option that must be disabled for DXVA to look proper.

But I still believe there is a bug in XBMC related to this as Boxee, nor any other app that supports DXVA, has this sort of bug when the option is enabled. And I need it for TV in Media Center, my blacks are being crushed.
Sweet!!!
Had some problems watching 1080p movies without dxva2 but when that was active I had those contrast issues.
Now after using your fix by unchecking "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement" all works fine with dxva2 enabled.

Thank you very much :-)
HTPC specs: AMD A8-6600K Quadcore 3.9-4.2GHz | GeForce GT1030 
Gigabyte FM2+ GA-F2A78M-D3H | Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB | Win10 Pro x64 | Kodi 19.0 Matrix | Samsung Q60R | WD My Cloud 4TB NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Found a solution for nvidia owner's having glitches with HD video's0