XBMC Library - How to handle having both SD and HD version copies of same movie?
I'd like to ask the experienced folks out there how they manage their library when it comes to multiple copies of the same movie. Currently, my movie collection is all standard def (long time xbmc xbox user), however, I've just begun to acquire hidef rips (mkv files really) of some of the same movies.

My current movie directory structure is:

Code:
-->movies
  -->movie title
    -->movie-name-CD1.avi
    -->movie-name-CD1.nfo
    -->movie-name-CD2.avi
    -->movie-name-fanart.jpg
    -->movie-name.tbn
    -->folder.jpg

What would make the most sense, given I have a hidef version of the same movie? I guess I would create a new directory with BRRip as a suffix. As is:

Code:
-->movies
  -->movie title BRRip
     -->movie-name.mkv
You're free to do what you want but I see no reason to have the same movie twice. Whats your reason?
FishOil Wrote:You're free to do what you want but I see no reason to have the same movie twice. Whats your reason?

I have a number of movies in SD and HD because in my house there's two media centers that are HD capable and 2 XBoxes.

Either way, for the OP...

As long as XBMC can scan and scrape from the folder where your films are stored both the HD and SD version will end up in the Library next to each other where one will show the HD icons and the other SD icons.
No need for the extra folder, you can just name the files the same (with differing extensions obviously) and then share the same fanart etc. You could then either have them showing up side-by-side, or else create smart playlists for HD and non-HD content to keep it separate.
you can use NIGHT skins great custom menus. you can create smart playlist for HD and for SD content you can add those to your main menu. you can hide your original Movies, and just have HD Movies and SD Movies. that way you don't have duplicates in the same directory.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t+playlist

-=Jason=-
This is one reason I have a sub directory in movies, SD and HD then you can exclude the HD folder from boxes that don't support HD, on the box that supports both you can just remove and exclude the old SD version and scan in the new HD one
Thank you for your replies.

I just installed Night, very impressed. If I'm not mistaken, Night already came configured with a HD Movies playlist. Once pressed, I was presented with all my already scanned HD Movies in my collection.

I then proceed to add a hidef version (filename Aliens.mkv) of a movie I already had to an old folder like follows:

Code:
-->movies
  -->Aliens (1986)
    -->Aliens-CD1.avi
    -->Aliens-CD1.nfo
    -->Aliens-CD2.avi
    -->Aliens-fanart.jpg
    -->Aliens.tbn
    -->folder.jpg
    -->Aliens.mkv (new file)

I'd hope to have this movie show up in the HD Movies smartlist upon rescan of my library, but this was not the case. I believe I only have "Scan Recursively" option selected for my movie content source.

Would a subsequent scan pick up this new hidef file? Reason I am uncertain is that I've experienced Beta3/4 not being able to scan new content in my movie folder regardless of quality. Not sure if this is a bug or not.
>>X<<' Wrote:This is one reason I have a sub directory in movies, SD and HD then you can exclude the HD folder from boxes that don't support HD, on the box that supports both you can just remove and exclude the old SD version and scan in the new HD one

x2
joelones Wrote:Thank you for your replies.

I just installed Night, very impressed. If I'm not mistaken, Night already came configured with a HD Movies playlist. Once pressed, I was presented with all my already scanned HD Movies in my collection.

I then proceed to add a hidef version (filename Aliens.mkv) of a movie I already had to an old folder like follows:

Code:
-->movies
  -->Aliens (1986)
    -->Aliens-CD1.avi
    -->Aliens-CD1.nfo
    -->Aliens-CD2.avi
    -->Aliens-fanart.jpg
    -->Aliens.tbn
    -->folder.jpg
    -->Aliens.mkv (new file)

I'd hope to have this movie show up in the HD Movies smartlist upon rescan of my library, but this was not the case. I believe I only have "Scan Recursively" option selected for my movie content source.

Would a subsequent scan pick up this new hidef file? Reason I am uncertain is that I've experienced Beta3/4 not being able to scan new content in my movie folder regardless of quality. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

If it didn't appear in your library after a scan it wont appear in a playlist your still get double entries in your library if you go the playlist route
>>X<<,

I see. Using unRAID server, guess I would have to change my movie split level for this new directory structure as well. It's currently set to 1.
Did the HD version of Aliens appear in your library because the HD playlist in Night works off the resolution maybe XBMC didn't extract this if you play the HD version for a couple of seconds then it should then appear in the HD list

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Library - How to handle having both SD and HD version copies of same movie?0