[Windows] Run external program for specific file extension
Hi

I have windows 7 computer which has scheduled recording to record dvbt content to the WTV files.

I know xbmc cant (yet ?) play this file, My country also uses mpeg4 + aacplues codec , so i couldn't find any converter that would convert this files to xbmc playable form.

My xbmc runs on other windows 7 computer , which there the windows media player can play the wtv with no problem.

Here comes my question , is there any way i could tell xbmc to run windows media player for .wtv files ?

Some advanced configuration or such ? (like wtv=<playerpath> %1)
Atm the moment i run windows mce and browse the tv recording from there, of course it would be much easier to just browse it from xbmc Smile

Thanks in advance for any help.
You just need to write a playercorefactory.xml to define the external player and and advancedsettings.xml to define .wtv as a video suffix. Somethign like:

advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.wtv</add>
  </videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

playercorefactory.xml
Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="WMPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer">
     <filename>C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="wtv" filetypes="wtv" player="WMPlayer" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

You need to place the two files in %appdata%\xbmc\userdata. The quickest way to open this folder is to press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata" (without the quotes) then click OK.

JR
Wow , thanks for the quick reply I'll try this as soon i get home.

From programmatic side it seems playercorefactory.xml has the all info need , the advancedsettings.xml seems to be redundant cause the wtv extension is defined in playercorefactory.xml
<videoextensions> tells xbmc that wtv files are video files, playercore sets a custom video player for them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Run external program for specific file extension0