XBMC Live vs Full Ubuntu OS install + xbmc-live
Hi,

I currently have XBMC Live (minimal Ubuntu?) installed on my ASRock ION330 which I use as my media centre.

I would like to be able to run a web browser so i can surf the web and so was wondering whether there are any reasons you could think of why I shouldn't reinstall my machine with a full Ubuntu OS install and then install the xbmc-live application on top. Will this install of xbm-live provide all of the functionality (drivers etc..) that XBMC Live provides to play all movie formats etc...?

thanks,
One reason I can think of is that a full install probably installs way more apps then you will need and/or use.
It could also increase boot time.
I have seen some threads that covers installing XBMC with minimal ubuntu desktop, only I can't find the specific one right now.

If XBMC works the way you want it right now I would probably just install the gnome desktop with minimum required packages if I where you. Then figure out howto switch between xbmc/gnome or just run xbmc ontop of gnome.

A full reinstall and you would have to reconfigure everything to your liking.
If you want to switch install only gnome-core.
(sudo apt-get install gnome-core)

Exit xbmc
login
run startx

exit gnome
run runXBMC

You want browser on top of xbmc find the guide howto do that with the launcher/executor.

Installing gnome core will break usb mounting in 9.11

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live vs Full Ubuntu OS install + xbmc-live0