Scrolling playlist follows current song
hey guys,

great little toy here.... seems to be all i use my xbox for anymore.

but i have one little anoyance about it: (and i haven't read through the changlogs so maybe someone added this since the old 1.1 proper version i'm using)

when playing my mp3s the portion of the playlist on screen can be pages behind what is actuly being played (as there is no auto scroll).

wouldn't it be a nice if the current song was always centered (within reason) on the screen?

-rupert
p.s. dvd menus are gonna make this almost perfict (but i'm not requesting that, i know someone is working on it, don't get all angry)
and what happens if you navigate away from the currently playing track?? would be rather annoying for it to suddenly jump to the currently playing item, would it not?

any suggestions?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

it would follow the playing song, while in playlist view only. when re-entering playlist view, it should center playing item on the screen as appropriate. my 2c. it'd also be nice if it used some place on say x, y, or z store data so there never has to be a delay when switching back to the playlist.
--jaga
jmarshal, i think you misunderstood my intention. i think jaga is with me though (till he starts talkin about x y & z Smile )

my usual mo when using xbmc for music is to run one huge playlist of all my mp3s. i just want the playlist view to center on the currently playing song (so i don't have to go hunt for it). i never ment to suggest that it should change the playing song as you scroll around looking for other songs.

if you want to see the type of behavior i'm talking about fire up winamp with a large playlist......... it makes sure that the currently playing song is at least displayed in the playlist window (not sure it centers if your not on random).

overall i love xbmc, this is just something i'm used to from other mp3 players that i thought might be a nice addition here....

-rupert
i understand you completely. perhaps you didn't quite get what i was meaning :p

let's assume there is a "now playing" screen in xbmc, with a listing of the current playlists (like the current playlist window for instance). the list would follow the currently playing song as you suggest. however, what if, while a song was playing, the user decides to scroll down the current playlists to look for something further down the list (perhaps in order to play a later track). in this case, the currently playing song would scroll offscreen. this is natural enough as the user is wanting to look further on. the problem occurs when the currently playing song finishes, and the next track begins. should xbmc then scroll back up so that the currently playing track (ie the new one) is shown in the listview? this would involve moving away from where the user may still be wanting to look, and would be a little frustrating perhaps.

comments?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

center the playlist on the currently playing song upon entering playlist view, and autoadvance only if idle for say, 1 minute.
--jaga
jmarshal,

"i was inspecting the endline on the rotary gurder... er... i .... i'm retarded"...

now i see what your saying, and yes that could be very anoying. but again jaga seems to be almost in my brain posting my responce before i could.

definatly have some intelegence to it, so it doesn't scroll allong with the song unless the interface devices (gamepad/remote/maybe web interface if its applicable) are idle for x amount of time.

also, since it seems (as with most features) there will be a set on either side calling it great or shite, make a little boolian entry in the xboxmediacenter.xml for <autoscrollplaylist> on or off.

-rupert
(rupert @ dec. 25 2004,15:13 Wrote:.......also, since it seems (as with most features) there will be a set on either side calling it great or shite, make a little boolian entry in the xboxmediacenter.xml for <autoscrollplaylist> on or off.

-rupert
agree with almost everything mentioned here (jaga). basically jaga's post about idle etc summed it all up. would be a nice feature.

though instead of putting the on/off in the xml-file, it should be in the settings. since (if i understood correctly) stuff has been consistently moved away from the xml-file and in to the settings gui...

-munde
nah, i just won't do a setting at all. too bad if people don't like it. ahhh, the power :p

good idea about the idle stuff. will see what we can do in the new year.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scrolling playlist follows current song0