Hi-Def WMV Files Pixelated and Weird Colors
Hi,

I bought a Lenovo-Q150 running Windows 7. Using Aeon and Dharma. Everything going great with the exception of Hi-Def (1080p, 720p) wmv files. They are playing back all pixelated and weird colors. Sometimes it clears up, but everytime a scene changes the screen will flash a purple/pink color and pixelate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
lawl... Hi-Def and WMV in the same sentence.

can you provide a sample of these Hi-Def files?

and perhaps a Debug log as well

-=Jason=-
The Windows Media filetype is perfectly capable of 720p and 1080p...
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
I'll try to get a log if that will help.

They play just fine outside of XBMC using Windows Media Player....
Flomaster Wrote:lawl... Hi-Def and WMV in the same sentence.
What sort of comment is this? VC-1 is Microsoft technology and still used in lots of Bluray releases.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
guess I've been out of the loop for some time, from my past experience *.wmv has been the worst quality videos I got my hands on.

if things have changed I apologies and will stick my foot in my mouth,but why are the release teams going the mkv route these days if .wmv is go great?

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:guess I've been out of the loop for some time, from my past experience *.wmv has been the worst quality videos I got my hands on.

if things have changed I apologies and will stick my foot in my mouth,but why are the release teams going the mkv route these days if .wmv is go great?
Well, the mkv container has nothing to do with the h.264 content that stays inside the container. As far as I understand, anyway, the free encoders available for h.264 are more flexible/powerful than what's available for VC-1. And mkv allows for a lot of stuff that the wmv container doesn't allow.

But, for instance, I was perfectly capable of creating 1:1 mkv rips of my Planet Earth HD-DVD that have VC-1 content (and that's Microsoft encoding tech).

All in all, it's not something I particularly care for. I just fail to catch on the anti-Microsoft vibe sometimes. But if you were speaking from first hand past experience, no problem at all. Currently VC-1 content can be qualitatively comparable to the best h.264 encodings (without entering into frame by frame comparisons that I frankly find quite sterile).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Thumbs up to everything Ashlar said... and for the record I never said .wmv was 'great' ---just that it can do 720p and 1080p, which it inarguably can do. Personally I use the .mkv container almost exclusively, with the occasional use of good old xvid for some things.

That said, I only have a couple .wmv files and XBMC plays them back without issues so perhaps the OP has some atypical encodings or something? Hard to tell...
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hi-Def WMV Files Pixelated and Weird Colors0