• 2(current)
SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox)
Question 
personaly the most important reason i see for implementing a smb-server is so users can map a network drive on a pc without 3rdparty sw
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
it's great being able to access computers on a network with smb, but i'd really like to be able to access my xbox from windows/linux e.g. \\xbox\... etc. is it possible to setup a samba server for xbmc. i say this because i use my xbox to store some files that i'd like to access/stream from windows.
i'd love to see a samba server running in xbmc. i don't have 'spare' storage, anytime i get a new hd i tend to fill it. to be able to just stream stuff back and forth would be ideal and i can't wait to see it implemented.

/kudos
any status update on samba server?

i would definately like to see this implemented.

now i have a large hdd in my xbox i've offloaded some videos but would love to be able to 'share' them with other pc's in the house.

i'd go as far as saying i'd make xbmc my default dash if this happened!

heres hoping, fingers crossed 'n' all that!
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)
well it is possible, the xenium chip folks just implemented a samba server in their chip's os and i have to say, it's really cool!

really hope the xbmc team gets on this for the next release or v 1.0.
that is because there are probably running a stripped version of linux on there chip. and since samba is written for linux this is easier todo then running it on xbmc.
anyway it would be nice to see the source of it too if they changed it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

well guys, i have a load of flac/mp3/divx files on the xbox (hdd is bigger than on my pc) which i would like to be able to stream to pc. basically use the xbox as a server to the pc. is this at all possible? i can mount the ftp in windows but when i browse the files it has to download a whole file before playing.

any ideas?

thanks for any help
nope not possible, unless you want to install and run a linux server.

xbmc and other dash's only only contain the clients for protocols such as smb not server software.
i'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but i'll ask anyway just in case....

i notice you can access your computer's network from the xbmc.  the xbmc allows you to use the x-box to access files from your computer. this is one of the xbmc greatest features, but wouldn't it be even better if the xbmc allowed two way access of files so you could also use your pc to access files from your x-box, automatically, without having to establish a ftp connection? so essentially, when you goto your pcs my networks folder you would see a special folder for the x-box with all the x-box drives in it. i'm not sure if this is even possible, but it's something to think about.

for example, this feature would allow users to edit and move files on their x-box without having to connect to their ftp. (i usually have problems connecting to my ftp. i end up having to go back and forth several times between my pc and my x-box before i can establish a connection. this feature might make life alot easier for a few users.
*bump* :p

any progress so far?
i don't think anyone are working on it Sad
shame, would love to see a samba server too in xbmc Smile
i'm trying a workaround at home - i have a gentoo linux box in my lan at home and have patched the kernel with the lufs patch and installed lufs which allows me to mount ftp shares and access them in linux. my plan is to make this mountpoint available as a samba share, but i haven't gotten to the point where i can access it yet. i can see the share from my windows computers, but get "access denied" when trying to browse the share. i'll keep you updated on the details.
just wondering, anyone working on this project?
Thumbs Up 
(pozze @ sep. 14 2004,08:13 Wrote:just wondering, anyone working on this project?
yes, please let us know the status of this, it would be a great addition...

:kickass:

soup
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox)0