• 5(current)
SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox)
i think the problem with this is that there isnt any easily ported smb server libraries yet... at least i dont think the people who did the unix smb client library that xbmc uses released a server one.
i am stupid.

(balzack @ nov. 09 2004,11:41 Wrote:here's how to set it up.
if you right click on my computer and choose map network drive.
then click the text link at the bottom "sign up for online storage or connect to a network server."
then for the address enter info like this: ftp://xbox:[email protected] ... where the ip is your xboxs...

then it will show up in windows explorer. remember it's using ftp but it just is easier then firing up an ftp client, for me at least.

this is awesome...i have been using ws_ftp all this time...neat.

it was better for me, because i couldn't get ws_ftp to delete dirctories...this is sooo much easier!
hello,
i know there is a limited samba interface... but what about marking stuff as shares? i use something called webdrive in order to map my xbox folders as hard drives...

a samba server would be wonderful, so my xbox coudld interact as part of my network completely.
hi, my first post (i m french)

all my files (pictures-music-films) are in the xbox.

and i want to know if i can share all those files from my xbox to any pc whitout donwload them to the reader before (whitout using ftp)

because it is boring to download on local place and then read : i want to read directely from the hard drive in the xbox : like streaming but in the other way
the xbox will be "the media source"

i hope you understand what i mean
we understand (it's been asked for many times before) but there's currently no good way to do this.

search the forum and you will find other discussions
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

sorry, i did a search before and didnt see discussions about samba server on xbox
yes it should nice to have this server on xbmc
if i was developper, it d be the thing i do (after making a build in dvd player) :d

after xbmc will be perfect !
i dont see want can it do more (and i dont understand what the developper do actualy (python script ...) )

btw a browser wil be fine to !!!
Rainbow 
hi guys,  its been over a year that i've been following this post, but yet nothing has happened to warm up my heart!!    :o   i can't think of anything better than filling up my main xbox (with a  200gb drive) with data and being able to access from anywhere on my lan.  

xbmc is an absolute fantastic app and i realize that getting the dvd menu up to scratch is priority, but like so many others here, i can't but feel that this funtionality will really make xbmc the killer app for the xbox.  i already use it as my main dash and by using a pc as a pvr, i hardly watch live tv anymore.  

xbmc rulz, but i go on my knees and beg - please, please, please get the smb server working....  

:help:
i m ok with larry007

just a question; it is too hard to get a smb server working ?

what are the problems exactly ?
if i can help, i ll be very happy !
try reading the thread.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(jmarshall @ feb. 01 2005,12:24 Wrote:try reading the thread.
well
no many developper are talking in it
Quote:well
no many developper are talking in it

Quote:nobody is working on it, atleast not that i know.
i did have a look at it a while ago and to be short, it's alomost impossible to get the samba server working on the xbox (unless you are running linux ofcours)
maybe i wasn't completely clear in it, but it means that for 99,999999% it wil never happen for xbmc, cause the current devs don't feel like programming it and / or don't have the time for it.
getting upnp to work on xbmc so it get's server functionality is probably easier todo (and even that is not an easy task).

i (we) ve got always 0,0000001% chance

it is more that the lottery :d
why don't people want to just put big hard disks in their pcs and use them to serve their whole network? i only turn my xbox on when i want to use it, i leave my pc on 24/7. i can put an xbox in every room of my house and have streaming audio/video everywhere. i've only got one right now but i'm moving soon and we will have multiple units then. it seems only natural to me that you have a beefy pc as a server and lots of "cheap" xboxes as clients.
when you go in hollidays, friends, every where, it s easyer to take the xbox than a pc.

for exemple
you have a party by your friend, everyone have a pc now, so he wants you to take mp3 for dancing all the night. in my notebook, i don t have 200 giga of hard drive so i took my xbox. and if his pc fails we can always hear music directely with the tv.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SAMBA-Server built-into XBMC (share SMB/CIFS from Xbox)0