External player for audio ONLY while watching videos?
After trying countless hours to get DTS working properly in XBMC, I managed to configure VLC as an external player in XBMC. Since DTS audio works properly in VLC but I prefer to keep the XBMC interface, I was wondering if it's possible to have XBMC render the video while using VLC to output the audio. I have not been successful. This is what I successfully use to play VLC within XBMC (playercorefactory.xml):

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="vlc" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="false">
<filename>C:\Program Files\vlc\vlc.exe</filename>
<args>--fullscreen</args>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>true</hidecursor>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv" filename="*.mkv" player="vlc"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

I have tried <player name="VLC_Audio" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="false">
but not sure how it's supposed to work if at all. THANKS!
It isn't possible.

JR
Use the DSPlayer player branch of XBMC it uses directshow so you can use any filter/codec you like to get DTS

Whats up with DTS in XBMC anyway ?
this must be the silliest suggestion ever Wink if there's a bug report it and we'll fix it.
Not possible and honestly not a great idea.

What specifically is your issues with DTS - it should work fine.
The DTS problem is in another thread. Apparently the soundcard driver doesn't like the parameters given by xbmc on open but it's not easy to fix without access to the hardware.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External player for audio ONLY while watching videos?0