Server Idea
As this forum has been a great source of information I was looking for some ideas/thoughts about a server build i have in mind.

1) Sickbeard/couch potato/sabnzbd installation. As the server and HTPC will not be on 24 hours a day, is it best to download to the server or HTPC?

2) Unraid - If going down this route i would require cache drive to achieve point 1? Does Unraid work well as a downloading machine which is only on for a finite amount of time ? or is it best to have it on 24/7?

3) Is Flexraid + WHS a viable alternative?

4) Unraid if it is left on 24/7 would it shut down all drives if there is no activity? (even with a parity/cache drive)

5) I'd like to one day (if possible) be able to stream my music to a remote device - like logitech squeezebox. Is there any device i could use with an unraid server?

Thanks
Mavers Wrote:1) Sickbeard/couch potato/sabnzbd installation. As the server and HTPC will not be on 24 hours a day, is it best to download to the server or HTPC?

I do it on the HTPC as the software changes often and that preents me from "tainting" my NAS with constant software changes. But on the Unraid forum there is directions to do it in Unraid.

Quote:2) Unraid - If going down this route i would require cache drive to achieve point 1? Does Unraid work well as a downloading machine which is only on for a finite amount of time ? or is it best to have it on 24/7?

Nope. I have my HTPC hooked to my Unraid NASes via NFS with no cache drives and I can download and transfer files across the network perfectly.

Quote:3) Is Flexraid + WHS a viable alternative?

I have never heard of someone mixing those two. I would prefer to mix Flexraid with something like Windows 7 pro.

Quote:4) Unraid if it is left on 24/7 would it shut down all drives if there is no activity? (even with a parity/cache drive)

Yes.

Quote:5) I'd like to one day (if possible) be able to stream my music to a remote device - like logitech squeezebox. Is there any device i could use with an unraid server?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4595.0

Can we install tvheadend on unraid ?
Schumi Wrote:Can we install tvheadend on unraid ?

No, I tried and couldn't get either MyhtTV or TVheadend to work. You think Unraid is Linux, but is is not- more like embedded Linux considering how much is left out.

Can you offer a raid like system work with tvheadend ?
poofyhairguy Wrote:No, I tried and couldn't get either MyhtTV or TVheadend to work. You think Unraid is Linux, but is is not- more like embedded Linux considering how much is left out.

That's interesting. Are you aware of anyone working to get TVheadend and/or MythTV to work on unRAID. Also, is it fair to assume that the zumocast Linux version (currently in Beta) will also not work on unRAID?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server Idea0