Hardware Acceleration Ubuntu+Ati Radeon HD
I am new in Ubuntu, so there is may be stupid question, but couldn't find an answer using search.

Is there any possibility to enable hardware acceleration on Ubuntu 10.10 with Ati Radeon HD 4350 + XBMC ?

Thanks.
Things may have changed recently but it used to be the case that Linux+XBMC didn't play for Team Red. Maybe the drivers are a lot better than they used to be but I doubt it. The best answer? Scrounge up $20 and buy a Geforce 210. Hassle-free.
Video decoding acceleration has been working for many using the ATI proprietary driver. The open source drivers do not yet support it to my knowledge.

If your looking for basic graphics acceleration because your interface is jerky or extremely slow, then the open source ones work very well.
never found the settings in the newest beta, about vaapi/xvba something, it's not included for now?
since I prepared xvba-va-driver(0.7.6) from splitted-desktop, and libva1, no way to apply that
I finally got it to work!

AMD Phenom X2 240e (2x 2,8GHz, 45W), AMD Radeon 4200 (Mainboard-Integrated GPU), Ubuntu 10.10 (+ 11.04 packages), xbmc 2:10.5-dharma+pvr~odk48+maverick, Linux Kernel 2.6.38-5, Xorg Driver radeon, Mesa Gallium.

720p video runs perfectly at 55% CPU.

I just followed this howto:
http://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/howto/build-mesa.html

and then built this init script
Code:
start on (filesystem
          and started dbus
          and (drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1)
stop on runlevel [016]
console output
respawn

exec su xbmc -l -c /usr/bin/startx

pre-start script
        export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/work/mesa/lib/gallium
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/work/mesa/lib/gallium
        export EGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/work/mesa/lib/gallium/egl
end script

and this ~xbmc/.xinitrc

Code:
#!/bin/bash
export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/work/mesa/lib/gallium
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/work/mesa/lib/gallium
export EGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/work/mesa/lib/gallium/egl
xbmc-standalone

Not sure if I really need the exports in xinitrc. But it surely does not hurt.
/work/mesa is the directory of the mesa source code.

I had to disable the vsync option, or the xbmc gui and overlay would flicker badly.
Do you mean hardware display acceleration of hardware video decoding? If you shell out the $20 for a GeForce GT210 you can watch 1080p HD video with an underclocked sempron at like 10% CPU usage. The ATI drivers are just bad in general, they have been improving slowly but will probably never come close to Nvidia's. It's a shame, because the new ATI cards are by far the better value.
Maybe, but my HTPC has only space for one PCI(e) Card, and that slot is used by the DVB-C card... So you can imagine that I am really happy to get this to work Smile
I had my ATi card in my media machine but the video playback suffered from slight tearing so I used an Nvidia and enabled the vsync option and now it works perfectly.

I will never buy ATI again for Linux....too much hassle. I don't know why i decided to try it out in the first place since i always went nvidia.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Acceleration Ubuntu+Ati Radeon HD0