Best HTPC case for Micro ATX
poofyhairguy Wrote:Awesome!!! Let us know how it works for future forum folks!!

I'll let you guys know how this goes. Its going to be a few weeks util I pull the trigger on this.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
I just bought the case posted by estrada off of ebay here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...746wt_1139

Now, as I await its arrival. What board would recommend putting in it? It reportedly holds a a full atx board. So go with a full board or mini? I really am hoping for something with builtin HDMI on the board, and to avoid adding a graphics card.

And than will slap in some memory and an SSD to make it as quiet as possible, as it will be a Front End machine only connected to the server in the basement.

Thanks
ptmuldoon:

I was a little skeptical about that case, especially since the person that posted about it only had 4 posts. For all I know that guy is the person promoting his own ebay auction. I'm always a little bit leery about stuff like that.

Let me know how it goes.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
Well, the case arrived yesterday, and I would say its exactly as described. I also took a number of pictures to post if anyone is interested.

In General, the case shipped from a Company of "Optimum Data". The packaging was top rate, the box was filled with those stupid styrofoam nuggets, and the case, dvd drive, and accessories were all wrapped in bubble as well.

The case includes a 220W power supply already installed in the case, and is also has a pre-wired IR, 3394 and two usb ports.

So my next question is what to put in it. It will be a front end machine only accessing a server in the basement for media. I'll likely run a cat5 line to it vs Wifi for better transfer rates.

I'll look to make it as quiet as possible, and will look to use a small SSD drive for the OS.

So, my questions start to become.

What OS would be best to use? Ubuntu, Windows, or the LiveVersion? Which also would offer the best options for video drivers and use of the IR port?

Than, with using the existing 220W power supply, What MB would you choose? I would prefer one with builti-in HDMI vs adding a separate card.

And home much memory? 1GB enough?
Ok, I'm trying to solve and decide for myself as well. To summarize.

I just picked up this case here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...746wt_1139

Its a pretty nice looking case, and am now looking for a MB to use in it.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the AsRock A330 or the Asus Atom 330

I'm leaning towards the Asus board. But any thoughts on which would be the better option?
I like the Asus board more. Much more support here on the forum. Any reason you are not considering Zotac boards? They are my favorite.

1GB is enough for Linux, not Windows. You can use whatever OS you are more comfortable with and with 2GB of RAM they will be about the same. I like Linux for an "appliance feel."

Other than being unfamiliar with them, I have nothing against zotac.

But what makes Zotac better over the Asus board? I'm not an expert on what makes each each board better the other? ie. the Zotac L-E versus the K-E board, etc. They all look to have pretty much the same specs.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Asus board tomorrow unless anyone can provide some input on a better board.

FYI.. The case does accept a full atx board so I'm not limited to a mini or micro, but do want to keep the power and noise as close to silent as possible.
There is nothing wrong with the Asus board, I was just asking. It is solid and has tons of posts on it on the forum...

So Santa brought me the Silverstone case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163166 and an Antech Veris Elete LCD screen http://www.amazon.com/Antec-30125-Elite-...=8-1-spell and I have a couple of questions.

1. I can connect either the cases power and reset buttons to the motherboard or the Antech LCD screen. Is it possible to get both working or do I have to choose?

2. Several months ago my network port crapped out on the motherboard. I had to get a network card and everything was fine. For my old case I had to use a low profile card barcket. The Silverstone case only takes normal brackets and I lost the normal sized mounting bracket. Is it possible to get just the standard sized bracket from anywhere without purchasing a new card? Should I even bother. I can still get the network card plugged in and nobody is going to be pulling on the cables so it should be okay if I don't use a mounting bracket right? (I mean plugging the card into the pcie slot and then hooking the network cable in without using a bracket to lock it down. Could that case any damage to the motherboard?
How to use Git
htpc guy Wrote:[*]I can connect either the cases power and reset buttons to the motherboard or the Antech LCD screen. Is it possible to get both working or do I have to choose?

Maybe an Ebay adaptor will split the two?

Quote:[*]Several months ago my network port crapped out on the motherboard. I had to get a network card and everything was fine. For my old case I had to use a low profile card barcket. The Silverstone case only takes normal brackets and I lost the normal sized mounting bracket. Is it possible to get just the standard sized bracket from anywhere without purchasing a new card? Should I even bother. I can still get the network card plugged in and nobody is going to be pulling on the cables so it should be okay if I don't use a mounting bracket right? (I mean plugging the card into the pcie slot and then hooking the network cable in without using a bracket to lock it down. Could that case any damage to the motherboard?
[/LIST]

I once had a Low Profile Nvidia 7600 GS that I cut the plate in half (with bolt cutters) to fit in a low profile Dell. Six months later the dell died, and I tried to put that GPU in another comp. I found that without the bracket the slightest cable bump would unseat the card and force a reset. To fix the problem I secured the card with electrical tape.

1. I can connect either the cases power and reset buttons to the motherboard or the Antech LCD screen. Is it possible to get both working or do I have to choose?

2. Several months ago my network port crapped out on the motherboard. I had to get a network card and everything was fine. For my old case I had to use a low profile card barcket. The Silverstone case only takes normal brackets and I lost the normal sized mounting bracket. Is it possible to get just the standard sized bracket from anywhere without purchasing a new card? Should I even bother. I can still get the network card plugged in and nobody is going to be pulling on the cables so it should be okay if I don't use a mounting bracket right? (I mean plugging the card into the pcie slot and then hooking the network cable in without using a bracket to lock it down. Could that case any damage to the motherboard?
[/quote]

1. If I recall the Antec Veris is made by http://www.soundgraph.com/home-en. It should be like my case = http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Fusion-Remot...280&sr=1-1.
Lets see if I remember this correctly, The power on from the motherboard goes to the lcd and the wire from the case goes to the lcd also. This is so you can turn it by remote, sorry its been so long since I had to get into my case but I was a bit confused when I looked inside of mine as well.
2. Why not use the onboard? As for replacements I think you get one as long as the hole where the network cable plugs in matches up, but you might be better off just buying new one (PCI network cards are pretty cheap, not too sure of the PCIex1's though).

Also if you do run windows Soundgraph has some support for the lcd for xbmc along with a plugin so you don't have to use eventghost.

Hope that helps
@poof
Thanks. I'll probably just rig it so the network card works for me. I have some cable clamps with sticky stuff on the bottom so I can stick the cable to my entertainment center and then run that to the NIC. That way if my cat gets behind the entertainment center and bumps the cable there won't be a problem because it won't move between the anchored part and the NIC.

@quincer
I'm running Linux. There is a great tutorial though in this thread that I plan on following http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63129 I'm fairly certain that it should work for my hardware.
How to use Git
Awesome! Keep us updated... that Antec gizmo looks interesting.

I am currently looking into cases and IR remotes, so this thread is interesting!
Got everything inside the Silverstone case and it is amazing. It comes with 3 fans fans, plus the power supply fan (Corsier CX-430) and it is whisper quite. At first I wasn't sure it was even coming on!

I still have a ton of work to get the Antec Veris Eleite display working. I know I have to download and compile lcdproc from source. Does anyone know of a simple .Deb package that I can install? Surely there has to be one somewhere on the interwebs?
How to use Git
So this is a bit OT but its my thread so what the hell.

I'm running out of space. The wife just picked up the entire series of Charmed from a movie store that was going out of business (got it hella cheap). I'm not going to have enough room to fit it all.

Anyway, I use my main PC (i7 330 beast of a machine) as my server. I would love to build a nas but I built 2 computers last year so its not currently in the cards. I currently have a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar that I picked up on sale from new egg last year for just over 100 bucks. This drive houses all of my movies and tv shows. What will be a good drive to add to this rig. Quality is more important than price. Remember, I'm not running raid. I don't want these drives to suddenly fail. I'm looking for a 2 TB drive. I just can't justify the 3TB Deskstar I just saw on newegg. I could get 2, 2TB drives for that price.

This is the drive that I have. Still can't complain about the price. Is there a better drive for media? I've never heard anything negative about these drives.
How to use Git

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best HTPC case for Micro ATX1