Sort music by album artist? (iTunes Style)
Hi, so i'm new to xbmc (if that isn't obvious), I've just imported both my video and music library, and was wondering if there's any way to sort my music by album artist, rather than artist? It's irritating having a lot of entries split up because there's featured artists .etc

I've found some threads that appear to mention this but it's in the development forum and the xbmc scripts are beyond me.

see image to see what I'm talking about:
Now all those Benny Benassi songs are tagged as just "Benny Benassi" for the Album Artist tag, in iTunes .etc I can view by album artist and it will all show up as one artist, I'd like to do this with xbmc.

thanks in advance Big Grin
bump...
Hi !
I'm bumping this too because it seems like one of the most obvious functions for a music library and I can't seem to find it. (I suspect it involves messing with xml files ^^)
Try this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Preparing_your_Music
-stoli-
Thanx, but could you be more specific please ? I've already read that page (it's the first result that comes up when you google "xbmc sort by album artist"), and it didn't really help.

My files are tagged properly using the <album artist> tag (which is the correct one for foobar2000) and <ALBUMARTIST> (for compatibility with my squeezebox). It works perfectly on foobar2000 and the squeezebox : They return 165 different artists, whereas by default xbmc returns 1200 artists !
I have a lot of compilations (namely 20 CDs of buddha bar, about as much of Hotel Costes, and some video game soundtracks), so it makes things REALLY complicated.

PS : When I sort by albums xbmc uses the album artist tags perfectly fine, so the database is good, it's just the "sort by artist" behavior that I'd like to change.
See the settings in Music->Library - there is one there that ignores compilation-only artists (which are your featured ones there).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Aaaah !

That's the one, thanx a lot, it's perfect now !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sort music by album artist? (iTunes Style)0