How to log or troubleshoot video playback over network?
I've got an HTPC in my home cinema and occasionally use an Acer Revo in the living room (Win7, but not sure that matters) to watch my content. I use the MySQL setup so that all my content is kept in sync.

I've noticed on three episodes of a new TV show (that the other half also watches, hence watching in the living room) that the playback is problematic over the network - stuttering, dropped frames, picture going blocky, etc.

If I copy the exact same file and run it locally, it plays fine. However, that copy process takes all of 2 minutes even for a 1gb file, because I'm on a wired Gigabit network, so I'd have thought that (when I'm trying to stream) bandwidth wouldn't be an issue here.

How would I go about tracking down the issue, in terms of posting a useful log? Or is there anything obvious I'm missing in terms of things to troubleshoot? I looked for a cache setting, so XBMC would store more of the file in its memory before trying to play, but couldn't find one.

Dharma Beta 2, Aeon65.
The stuttering, does it occur on the Revo? And does it read the files from your HTPC or from another source?

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are watching a movie or whatever on one computer (computer 1) and at the same time try to watch a movie on a second computer that is on the disk of computer1, Computer 1's disk will be the bottleneck. As you say you have gigabit wired network, bandwidth is not an issue.

Short answer: The computer where theese episodes are can't read the files fast enough to maintain the bitrate that is required for decent playback.

If the HTPC is idle and you try to whatch an episode on the revo, does this work ok?
Hi there - sorry, never saw this response. Thank you though.

Noticed tonight that my Revo had two IP addresses, one wireless, one wired. Disabled the wireless network connection and all was instantly fine. Hurrah!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to log or troubleshoot video playback over network?0