How do you backup your movie rips?
YodaEXE Wrote:I remember when you could install a copy of Windows entirely from a set of 5 floppy disks.

I remember when I had a 100MB hard drive and thought I would never fill the thing up. I also had a whopping 8MB of ram when most computers only had 1 or 2.

Yeah, I was pretty much stylin' at the time. Wink

Psyche
RAID 1 NAS's. As many other have said it is not a backup but currently i do not have the money for alternative backup solutions.

Would love a LTO4 drive Smile

Failing that i have considered buying extra drives and rebuilding the Raid to a new disk and keeping the other one as a spare (backup) but not to techy when it comes to this.
Currently using a Drobo FS, which I love. It's a great device and suits all of my needs, including acting as a Time Machine backup for all of my Macs.

I'm debating an upgrade to the DroboPro FS. Partially because of the increased capacity, but also thanks to DroboSync, which won't run on the Drobo FS as far as I know. My plan is to have a DroboPro FS running for myself as well as one at my father's home setup with DroboSync so that any files I add to my own server will automatically be backed to his, letting me update his media center without having to drag a portable hard drive over and doing it manually.
I don't back it up.... if I lose it.. i lose it... i'll live
I store everything on a Windows Home Server, filled the first 4 bays with 1tb drives, then purchased one of these mediasonic enclosures, and added 4 more drives (mix of 1.5tb and 2tb drives)

http://canadacomputers.com/product_info...._id=021484

I've got a backup of all of that data on seperate external drives. I keep these as an offline backup, in case there is ever an electrical overload, or fire/water damage to my server...

But if I had to do it all over again, I would have been better off buying a few more of those mediasonic boxes, the price is good for a 4 bay enclosure, it holds 4 desktop drives upto 2tb each, and only uses a single USB port, and electrical outlet. (you need an ESATA card that supports port multiplication to use the ESATA connection) there is also a USB only version.
loquist Wrote:I remember when I had a 100MB hard drive and thought I would never fill the thing up. I also had a whopping 8MB of ram when most computers only had 1 or 2.

Yeah, I was pretty much stylin' at the time. Wink

Psyche

Those were the good ol' days.
As others have mentioned, if it's all in the same machine it's storage - not a backup (NAS is no exception). I have a friend who had a Raid controller go bad and physically kill 8 SATA drives that were plugged into his server (how that's possible, I have no clue but it did happen). If your stuff is really worth being backed up (your call, not anyone else's) you need a second copy of it somewhere - ideally in a second location. When you need to expand buy 2x - simples - and there are plenty of ways to automate the syncing.
My original media is my 'backup', but for storage / access I use a linux based file server with a pair of 3ware SATA RAID cards. I have 2 RAID5 arrays for a total of about 20Tb of storage.
I'm using FlexRAID, 6TB (3x2TB) plus 1x2TB for parity. Works like a charm so far and is very easy to extend with minimal hassle. It's also nice that it's free Smile

DecK Wrote:RAID is not backup, RAID is storage. Yes raid does nave redundancy but that is not the same as backup. Redundancy doesn't help when something gets accidentally deleted, as happened to me this weekend. Blush

I use a 4 Bay NAS with RAID5 as my file server. But now am also backing up the data to external HD's. I picked up one on these on Monday and plan on buying another this weekend. Yeah, its not the fast read/write speed, buts it works for a backup and the price is good.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digi...&cp=1&lp=2

This is why I prefer a "snapshot" RAID implementation like FlexRAID. Doesn't implement changes immediately till a scheduled or manual sync operation that updates parity. In the event that I accidentally delete something. I can just restore that drive. It is even smart enough to only update what is missing and not rebuild the whole drive.

The downside of not having live RAID is that a) You lose anything you added before your last sync (not a biggie as I have late night syncs scheduled every other night) and (b) You delete something from a different drive than the one you want to recover, after the last sync operation. Then you risk losing data at the most as large as the file(s) you deleted from the other drive. Since I rarely delete files, and am only adding to my collection, this isn't a huge concern. If I do end up moving or deleting things, I just manually update parity.
Since my media is under 2tb I have a NAS thats on most of the time and I have a external drive that I use as a back up.

I dont backup movies/tv, it wastes space and costs money.
I have a 2tb NAS.
The internet is my backup.
A script runs every night that lists all the files on both 1tb drives outputs to a text file that is then synced to dropbox.

Any movie/tv show can always be replaced with usenet etc.
I have a UnRaid system set up with 15 Hard drive bays only using 10 of them with 10.1 TB of space. I like it because it has the ability to loose any drive and rebuild the lost data. I also have it set up with Sick Beard, SABNzbd, and couch potato so it does all my downloading and sorting automatically. I would be willing to talk to anyone that is looking into Unraid, even going as far as making a custom system for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you backup your movie rips?0