• 4(current)
Bad experience for a first time user of XBMC
spoco2 Wrote:The Team member who says 'code it' because this is Open Source is, however, one of those who forgets how much free time you need in order to work out how a product works and then code up something that works with it, then test it and support it... I barely have time to setup a htpc let alone code the software that goes on it! Big Grin

Ah yes, this would be me.

Zero devs get paid to work on xbmc. All of the have as much or less free time than any user. This is a labor of love for them, and they tend to love it less when people spend many paragraphs complaining about their baby. Usually they are fine with suggestions. Also constructive criticism. Things get slightly less pleasant when criticism devolves into repetitive complaints. That's usually when one of us steps in and reminds everyone that this is a team that requires free code from SOMEBODY (be they dev or coding user).

The suggestion of an easier setup process is noted. If any other suggestions exist, feel free to add them. More repetition or hostility from anybody on any side is gonna get this thread locked.
No, I get that you don't get paid, I get that people contribute to this as a labour of love. I would love to contribute to projects like this, but alas, with a full time job, four kids under 8 years old and a home renovation project in the works, time is not there for the giving.

I can see when the kids are all older, if there are still projects like this around (I'm sure there will be) then I'll be able to contribute to them, as making apps more intuitive for use is something I love to do.

However, it is an age old dismissal in the open source world to say 'if you don't like it, change it yourself', while knowing that it really isn't a practical request for 99% of users, if not 99.9%.

I will though, go to the feature suggestion area and make a post when I've played with xbmc some more (I just bought a new 2nd hand pc to update my media center, so will try it from scratch on that). I'll try to be very precise with the bits that are not intuitive and with suggestions for what I believe could be quite 'quick wins' for the project to ease in new users. (Mostly the source information/setup page I've mentioned).

In any case, projects like this and MediaPortal are truly awesome and have COMPLETELY changed how my family watch shows and movies. We pretty much never, ever watch live tv anymore. And that is a good thing Big Grin

natethomas Wrote:Ah yes, this would be me.

Zero devs get paid to work on xbmc. All of the have as much or less free time than any user. This is a labor of love for them, and they tend to love it less when people spend many paragraphs complaining about their baby. Usually they are fine with suggestions. Also constructive criticism. Things get slightly less pleasant when criticism devolves into repetitive complaints. That's usually when one of us steps in and reminds everyone that this is a team that requires free code from SOMEBODY (be they dev or coding user).

The suggestion of an easier setup process is noted. If any other suggestions exist, feel free to add them. More repetition or hostility from anybody on any side is gonna get this thread locked.
Maybe XBMC should setup a bounty for features type donation system (in addition to the current one) for new features and minor bug fixes. (Some OSS software already does this.) Then EVERYONE in this thread can put their money were their mouth is.

I'd donate again (since it is coming up on a year for me) for cool new features or for the GT2x0 / xvid bug to be fixed before I donated for an "easier setup".
darkscout Wrote:Maybe XBMC should setup a bounty for features type donation system (in addition to the current one) for new features and minor bug fixes.

This has been discussed a few times, and I think they rejected the idea.

Some devs were OK with it, but others thought not.

I think the general consensus was that they were OK with the bounty bringing in outside developers to work on your pet feature, but the really didn't want someone with money to be able to control the direction of the project.

Also, I think it would take the fun out of it for some devs if they felt beholden to someone because of a bounty.

It's more like work if you get paid for it.

Still, it's not a bad idea, really.
I think that with the Dharma release upon us, that a lot of things are going to get a lot easier for the new users.

I used one of the last LiveCD's before they became Dharma betas to set up, and finding support in the wiki or the forums or wherever was a mess. Half the time I got something years old that didn't work, or something from the forum that was Dharma specific, etc. It was incredibly frustrating being brand new, and having no idea what feature was specific to what version that worked with what ubuntu setup, and having 75% of everything I tried that was listed in the forum or website just not work.

I'd browse the forum, find a cool feature, try to implement it, and it would be Dharma only. But then I'd need to fix something with my hardware not working quite right with the install, but then all of the info I could find would be from jaunty or interpid, *ancient* ubuntu releases, and it just didn't work like that anymore.

I eventually figured out how to enable the svn ppa's for Linux, and everything just started working wonderfully. Forum topics were on topic, things were getting talked about, better support for everything, etc.

But I think as things move on more to standardize on Dharma, it will be much better.

Just kind of a hard time to jump into the waters Smile
Ask and ye shall receive, at least to some small extent, guys. With the just released RC1, when you add a source, you are prompted to set content right then and there.
natethomas Wrote:Ask and ye shall receive, at least to some small extent, guys. With the just released RC1, when you add a source, you are prompted to set content right then and there.

Nice step forward indeed Big Grin

I pick up the 2nd hand pc to build a whole new HTPC today, and I have decided that xbmc is the software I will be installing on it. So RC1 is what I will install on it.

I'll report back my experiences on this build. It'll be a fresh install of Vista (comes with the box) and a dual core pc compared to the tired old single core one that's currently performing duties.
darkscout Wrote:I'd donate again (since it is coming up on a year for me) for cool new features or for the GT2x0 / xvid bug to be fixed before I donated for an "easier setup".

That is why I personally have problems with a "bounty for features" model. It is VERY hard for non-developers to understand the work (and therefore the value) needed for particular features. The site would have tons of bounties that no one will touch (because the task is WAY harder than any non developer would figure) that would create some sort of pressure for the non-paid developers ("This one bounty is very high so that means the feature is wanted, why don't developers do anything!?!?!?!?").

For example the divx/GT2x0 bug is NOT a trivial thing. In fact after messing with it I am fully convinced that the root of the problem is in Nvidia's driver which they may never fix. But the bounty for it would sit on the site forever as a black mark on XBMC.

The last problem with a bounty system is that XBMC (or more specifically FFMPEG) is a legal landmine. Whoever gets paid to develop XBMC opens themselves up for being responsible for infringements (since there is then money to get the attention of the media overlords) of FFMPEG. Ask Firefox about x264 support and they will tell you- media decoders are nasty business legally. This community is left alone because no one profits from XBMC. When that changes, so do the rules...

natethomas Wrote:Ask and ye shall receive, at least to some small extent, guys. With the just released RC1, when you add a source, you are prompted to set content right then and there.

Perfect
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
I think XBMC is better than MP the interface is better but I do take your point that there is areas that can be confusing. I think some of your problems may be because is you are used to MP. But hey dont give up use the forum it wll help you thats whats it here for give it a go people here will help you. Take it one stage at a time and have fun.
First post... also coming in from Media Portal.

I like the layout and ease of the system so far, but like spoco, also having a few issues. I tried the stable version and the RC1 version.

Music importer... worked great

Movie importer.... worked... okay
- 2 movies... 1. Serenity.. downloaded data and worked great 2. Pirate Radio... did not download imdb info. Both movies are properly named place accordingly in their folder

TV Show importer... did not work.
- 1 series: Firefly Season 1. It just won't download the info. I even renamed them all to match the wiki instructions to the T. Nothing. Tried different settings, removed and re-added the source. Nothing.

Probably not the best place to post 'bugs' or problems... but like Spoco, I followed the instructions from the wikis... and haven't been successful.

Hopefully a solution will be found.
Thanks!
orph Wrote:First post... also coming in from Media Portal.

I like the layout and ease of the system so far, but like spoco, also having a few issues. I tried the stable version and the RC1 version.

Music importer... worked great

Movie importer.... worked... okay
- 2 movies... 1. Serenity.. downloaded data and worked great 2. Pirate Radio... did not download imdb info. Both movies are properly named place accordingly in their folder

TV Show importer... did not work.
- 1 series: Firefly Season 1. It just won't download the info. I even renamed them all to match the wiki instructions to the T. Nothing. Tried different settings, removed and re-added the source. Nothing.

Probably not the best place to post 'bugs' or problems... but like Spoco, I followed the instructions from the wikis... and haven't been successful.

Hopefully a solution will be found.
Thanks!

Pirate radio is called The boat that rocked. Rename the folder and rescan.

Use epnamer on Firefly.

Putting (year) in foldernames can help.
the OP makes good points.

In addition to the new 'set content' prompt, I would also suggest adding to the prompt to switch to library mode. IE;

after adding a new source, dialog: Would you like to: (checkboxes)
+ set content
+ rescan media sources
+ activate library mode

Since library mode is often hidden off to the side in most skins, its not an obvious selection for the new user.
Nowadays, "do you want library mode" is integrated within the skin itself. e.g. confluence has the "Movies" and "TV shows" items available in the home submenu automatically. So do many other skins.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I am here to report that on my dual core machine that I just setup with Windows Vista Business SP2, I installed xbmc, pointed it at my movies, tv shows and music and there it is... working... and it's pulled down all the tv and movie info, and even one that it got wrong (louie, it (like media portal) thought it was the kid's show, where I meant Loius CK's show) it was pretty easy to make it switch to the right one.

I'm still trialling a number of skins, trying to find that perfect one, still trying to work out how to present things in the best way for my wife to use...

But, hey, I had just installed it and my wife asked to see a video of one of my sons in a play. It's a 720p .MOV file and always had issues on the old pc (mostly slow pc probably)... but it worked. I haven't downloaded one single codec, no video config, nothing.

I am certainly coming around to this xbmc way of doing things Smile

Not that I'm going back on my previous comments, it still is a little odd the way you manage the content of your sources...

So, yes, this will be my media center software from now on!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bad experience for a first time user of XBMC1