• 17(current)
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company - a new skin concept

I know I'm WAY outside the box here... but I wonder if this couldn't be a universal dialog box that's available everywhere? I think this would be a crazy feat of coding... but how nice would be it be if from any point in the skin you could drop in the "main menu" and use it to jump to other areas.

To make this work though, I think we might have to address the engine as a whole rather than add a bunch of coding to an individual skin.

Maybe topfs2 or Jonathan can weigh in on if something like this is possible?

Just brainstorming again.

ronie Wrote:i'd been thinking about this option a couple of times too.
but you cant put two windows (home & home-movies) on top of each other.
only a dialog can be put on top of a window, so i'll probably need a custom-homemenu dialog too.

yep, and most likely you wont hit those untill you actually start coding it.
i do have one idea though that might work.
just need a lot of spare minutes to try it out.
blacklist Wrote:Maybe topfs2 or Jonathan can weigh in on if something like this is possible?

topfs2 Wrote:As for the main menu dialog you can do what boxee does and use the shutdown dialog to represent it (or any dialog really but that one is mapped usually).

So yeah its possible, however it would need special key mapping to feel "right" as there is no way to use the "home" window for it (and as such the home button to react to the dialog). Atleast this is how I understand it, may be that its possible to use the same ID in a dialog though (dialogs and windows are close to eachother in code).
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
blacklist Wrote:Image

I know I'm WAY outside the box here... but I wonder if this couldn't be a universal dialog box that's available everywhere? I think this would be a crazy feat of coding... but how nice would be it be if from any point in the skin you could drop in the "main menu" and use it to jump to other areas.

To make this work though, I think we might have to address the engine as a whole rather than add a bunch of coding to an individual skin.

Maybe topfs2 or Jonathan can weigh in on if something like this is possible?

Sure it's possible, that's exactly what I did with Welo - there's a Global selection at the top.
blacklist Wrote:I know I'm WAY outside the box here... but I wonder if this couldn't be a universal dialog box that's available everywhere?

sure, but you can't use the 'back' button for it in these cases.
maybe the 'home' button would work.

topfs2 Wrote:So yeah its possible, however it would need special key mapping to feel "right" as there is no way to use the "home" window for it

i suppose if we were allowed to code Home.xml as a dialog, it would work out of the box.
assuming all remotes have a 'home' button. :-)

Hitcher Wrote:Sure it's possible, that's exactly what I did with Welo - there's a Global selection at the top.

i assume it requires you to press 'up' to bring it up?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:i assume it requires you to press 'up' to bring it up?
It's always present at the top so it's up or left depending on the viewtype.

It's simply an include with visible conditions to hide the currently selected window.
Hitcher Wrote:It's always present at the top so it's up or left depending on the viewtype.

It's simply an include with visible conditions to hide the currently selected window.

So if I'm getting this right - it always exisits, just out of the frame until it's activated? That would work for sure. I'm not a fan of a special key mapping for a skin, but maybe in this case it would be worth it. I certainly think that the "Home" button on my MCE remote would be perfect to display this dialog.

And like I mentioned before, perhaps a user configurable option we can off a skin setting of "Show Home Menu" which would display a button to activate the menu univerally? Or alternate key mapping options?
Yes, just check out this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvXamNgRx4
Hey just wanted to tell you how good this looks! I will def be trying this out as soon as it's released! Love the originality! Good job so far!
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company - a new skin concept7