Inspect my build before i buy.
Morning gentlemen.

I've been getting together my build for some time now and had it all set with Zotac-ID11. There's been a lot of hype of the Shuttle XS35GT recently however and it made me rethink things.

So here it is, my final build.

Shuttle XS35GT - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6856101114
Ram - Corsair 2GB So-DIMM - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6820233079
SSD - OCZ Agility 2 40GB - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6820227607
Remote and receiver - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6880121003

I won't be requiring an optical drive.

I plan to attempt to throw XBMC Live on there, but i'm not every good with Linux, especially when it lacks a GUI. Ideally there's some info on the wiki to guide me through the process or maybe i can find a way to get that appliance feel with Windows 7, who knows.

Anyways, any feedback, comments or information is appreciated.
Looks good to me.

Smile 
Zer0x123 Wrote:I plan to attempt to throw XBMC Live on there, but i'm not every good with Linux, especially when it lacks a GUI. Ideally there's some info on the wiki to guide me through the process or maybe i can find a way to get that appliance feel with Windows 7, who knows.

Anyways, any feedback, comments or information is appreciated.

OpenELEC.tv will support this system out of the box, is small, fast and easy to install.
greetings, Stephan

Not sure, but from what I've seen on this forum 2GB of RAM might not be enough if Win7 is a possibility. That said... don't use Win7 Smile
What exactly is OpenElec? Is specific build of linux?
Zer0x123 Wrote:What exactly is OpenElec? Is specific build of linux?

It's a tiny all-in-one packed up version of Linux/XBMC for very fast booting.
Sorry to veer off topic, but since the OP directed us towards Openelec - does it use apt for package management? I looked on the site, but didn't see an obvious answer.
Sooo ... It's XBMC Live pre-configured and with a speed boost?
Zer0x123 Wrote:Sooo ... It's XBMC Live pre-configured and with a speed boost?

Neh, not really...

The system is built from scratch with our own buildserver, packages are (cross)compiled from scratch and we only add the packages that are needed to run XBMC. Together with the most used hardware drivers, this forms a totally new distro.
One of the packages that we compile is XBMC, and we also automatically start this in the startup script, so this is basically the only thing that you can run.
Because it is so small, it can run quite easily on any small form factor PC without loosing a LOT performance on unneeded Windows Services Wink

Besides that, it has some smart update system. We only provide you image files (SYSTEM and KERNEL). Everytime we update packages, we also release new images. These can then be uploaded to a dedicated folder, which you can access from your windows network environment (ow, this also works by default, it will popup in your network automatically). Once you reboot, the images will be upgraded automatically, meaning all packages (like XBMC) will be updated to your system as well.

This is one of the easy things out of a bunch that we made possible.

The installation of openelec should not take you more than 5-10 minutes. And it doesn't even require any user intervention, except the choice to which HDD you want to install it to.

Anyway, this is in a nutshell what openelec means and can do. The most important thing that we maintain: Simplicity! Make XBMC as easy as possible to install, maintain and use!

Let us know if you have any more questions!
sraue Wrote:OpenELEC.tv will support this system out of the box, is small, fast and easy to install.

How close is blu-ray support? Is this something that will ever come to pass on Linux?

I'm in the same position as the OP but I think blu-ray is needs to be included in my build somehow.
jabba_29 Wrote:How close is blu-ray support? Is this something that will ever come to pass on Linux?
I wouldn't hold your breath. A legal solution on Linux is likely to never happen. For the near to medium term, rip your BD to .mkv, or buy a separate Blu Ray player.
jabba_29 Wrote:How close is blu-ray support? Is this something that will ever come to pass on Linux?

I'm in the same position as the OP but I think blu-ray is needs to be included in my build somehow.

Blu Ray support is being worked on. An open source library is being developed. More time is needed though, I estimate something in the year range. It won't be "legal," in the US sense, but it will work.

Yet you notice that none of us play Blu Rays and none care that XBMC can't. That is because in this community disks are dead- DVDs are out and Blu Rays are out before they even work.

We all rip out Blu Rays (usually on our desktops) to NASes. We then playback those rips directly from the NAS, no disks needed. XBMC supports this fully.

Actually playing Blu Rays is a job best left for a dedicated player.

If you really want to buy a Blu Ray rom get one for your desktop (to rip Blu Rays to your NAS) or use different software on your HTPC. On my Windows HTPC I use XBMC mostly, but I bust out the Powerdvd to play 3D Blu Rays (not the actual disks again, but rips of the disks- disks are dead to me). That is an option if you want PC Blu Ray support....

blueray support for unencrypted blue-ray's/ blue-ray folders is included.
greetings, Stephan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Inspect my build before i buy.0