Is this a problem? Video files being added to library before they are done downloadin
Hello everyone,

Here's the situation: I have the RSS feed in uTorrent automatically downloading my tv shows and placing them into the correct folders in my media file structure. However, utorrent will automatically place the file into that folder as soon as it starts downloading; it won't move it into there AFTER it's done.

I want to set a script for xbmc to automatically update the library every hour or so. Obviously, there will be some instances where the file will be present in the folder but not done downloading yet.

Here's the two questions:

1. Is this going to be a problem for xbmc (or potentially utorrent)?
2. is there any way I can change the settings in either utorrent or XBMC to not move the RSS-triggered file into its respective folder until after it's done?

Just for reference, I'm trying to NOT use another program (i.e. renamer) in this system. Right now the only programs that I want to use are utorrent, xbmc, and probably eventghost. I know of the setting in utorrent for REGULAR downloads to be moved to another folder after they are done, but have not figured out if there's a way to apply this to rss-triggered downloads.

Thanks
1) in general no. the only exceptions are that it may fail to generate thumbs if none are available online, plus you may end up with faulty media flags if you list a dir containing such files.
2) utorrent surely has an option for this.
If you're using labels that might complicate the issue, but spiff is right that there is a 'move when completed' type of option.

If labels are making it more complicated, I would suggest using the 'append .ut!' option. So that the extension only appears once the d/l is finished. I dont know enough about XBMC to know if it scans ALL file names, or what, this option is worth knowing about.

And finally. Sickbeard and sabnzbd will beat the daylights off your automated setup with way more features and reliabililty. do yourself a favor and test it out.
Utorrent does have the feature to move completed files to another folder, but it may not allow this if you have it set up to move certain files to separate folders like "TV shows" and "Movies" because like you say, it does it before it starts downloading. It also has the "append .ut! to unfinished files" option which would stop XBMC detecting it until its completed, which i believe to be your best option.
spiff Wrote:1) in general no. the only exceptions are that it may fail to generate thumbs if none are available online, plus you may end up with faulty media flags if you list a dir containing such files.
2) utorrent surely has an option for this.

Spiff, In reference to #2 - I know that uTorrent has this option for the GENERAL downloads (manually added to the client). I use this option. However, in my experience the RSS-triggered downloads did not adhere to this option and just started downloading in their own folder from the get-go.

bluenote Wrote:If you're using labels that might complicate the issue, but spiff is right that there is a 'move when completed' type of option.

If labels are making it more complicated, I would suggest using the 'append .ut!' option. So that the extension only appears once the d/l is finished. I dont know enough about XBMC to know if it scans ALL file names, or what, this option is worth knowing about.

And finally. Sickbeard and sabnzbd will beat the daylights off your automated setup with way more features and reliabililty. do yourself a favor and test it out.

Bluenote, I now see the append .ut! option - this looks like it should solve my problem! I will try it out. Hopefully (1) utorrent applies this option to RSS_triggeed DL's and (2) XBMC does not try to read the file until the extension is removed.

Also, I will look into the two programs you mentioned. At first glance, it does look like they are more robust than the system I have set up. THanks!

rudeboyx Wrote:Utorrent does have the feature to move completed files to another folder, but it may not allow this if you have it set up to move certain files to separate folders like "TV shows" and "Movies" because like you say, it does it before it starts downloading. It also has the "append .ut! to unfinished files" option which would stop XBMC detecting it until its completed, which i believe to be your best option.

Rudeboyx, As I said above, thank you for the append recommendation - I am going to try this out.

Thank you for all the help everyone! You guys are more than helpful. I appreciate your bearing with me on these rudimentary questions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this a problem? Video files being added to library before they are done downloadin0