Best File Format/Container? Noob needs advice...
Hi all,

Just want to say first up, I'm new to forums and doing anything too Advanced on a PC, so please be gentle.....
If I'm posting in the wrong place or asking the wrong things please tell me!

Anyway, my question is this. I've just ripped a collection of DVD's to my Hard Drive via DVD Decrypter, into a specific folder as ISO. files.

Is it best to leave them as ISO. files for XBMC to recognize/play the files, or should I convert them to MKV, h.264, AVI etc?

What has the best been in your experience, and/or does it make a difference?

I have read the WIKI and searched the forum, but could not find a straight forward answer (unless I'm looking in the wrong spot)
Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any help or input I can get!
I have all my dvd backups as ISOs and XBMC handles them great. Unless you need to compress them, i'd leave them as it.
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
I have had a lingering question about ripping to ISO's. I use DVD Fab and it does not give an option for ISO. I have been using VOB with 0% compression. I still end up with great rips (audio and video quality) and the file sizes are comparable to ISO formats.

I guess in the long run it comes down to quality and I can't tell a difference between the VOB files played in XBMC and the regular discs in my bluray player.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
DVD Format (VOB) rips shouldn't be comparable to ISO's, they should be identical. Ripping with 0% compression, is the same no matter what container, or format you rip to - nothing added or subtracted - quality will be unaffected.

I haven't used DVDFab in a while, but it certainly used to support ripping to ISO
Thanks guys, I appreciate your time
Cheers!
Consider MakeMKV as well as Shrink and Fab

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best File Format/Container? Noob needs advice...0