Conflict between XBMC SMB shares and Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant
Shadow_Mx Wrote:It has some dependencies issues on my end, I tried adding a mirror to my sources.list and it has a lot of conflicts, which results in apt trying to remove XBMC...

Got any ideas?

Are you running RC1? I tested with 9.11 last night and it will fail due to dependency issues. RC1 uses Ubuntu 10.x, so it has all the packages needed for the latest libsmbclient.
I have the exact same issue. I hate uninstalling the Live ID assistant every day! :-(

I tried updating libsmbclient as stated above but I get the same problem with dependencies. When I force the update, XBMC gets removed. :-(

I'd like to try XBMC Dharma V.10 but I'd rather wait for the final release since I hate having to update and tweak the whole setup a lot of times.

Can someone help us with our XBMC V.9.11 setup?
gr8r-x Wrote:OK. Well in the mean time, anyone who has this issue, with XBMC Live, you can "upgrade" the libsmbclient with the following package from Ubuntu's next release;

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/i386/li...t/download

Download the package from your nearest source, get it on your Live box however you wish, then just;

Beware of any advice that suggests that you manually download a file and install it with dpkg. It's _always_ a bad idea.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:Beware of any advice that suggests that you manually download a file and install it with dpkg. It's _always_ a bad idea.

TheUni

Well then maybe you can include the updated, working, legitimate package, from Ubuntu, in the next release of XBMC Live? Thanks in advance.

RE: 9.11 not working, you could add the "natty" source to apt then do an update of libsmbclient, but I'm pretty sure that would push a lot of new packages in, and is very likely to break something in the process.. I'm not very familiar with apt (RPM FTW), so I can't help anymore sorry. Sad
gr8r-x Wrote:Are you running RC1? I tested with 9.11 last night and it will fail due to dependency issues. RC1 uses Ubuntu 10.x, so it has all the packages needed for the latest libsmbclient.

Yea that's the problem. I have karmic and RC1, so it fails.

I had been planning on upgrading to 10.10 so I guess this is as good a time as any...

Guess I just found this weekend'd project, heh
gr8r-x Wrote:Basically, yes. You can either copy it to a thumb drive or scp it over. If you have access to a shell already, you can even just use wget (assuming you have the internet connected to it), as below;

Code:
wget http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/samba/libsmbclient_3.5.6~dfsg-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i libsmbclient_3.5.6~dfsg-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

All that does is download the .deb file, to where ever you are, then runs dpkg to install it. It will replace/upgrade the older version. Reboot and hey presto - should work.

awesome!! worked like a charm. Laugh
Well, upgraded from 9.10 to 10.10 (9.10 -> 10.04 -> 10.10) and installed the libsmbclient update and all is working now. Thanks
Shadow_Mx Wrote:Well, upgraded from 9.10 to 10.10 (9.10 -> 10.04 -> 10.10) and installed the libsmbclient update and all is working now. Thanks

Since there's no normal correct solutions to this problem. Can you help me on what's the best en shortest path in updating my current XBMC 9 to the new Dharma RC1?

Thanks!
KoosG Wrote:Since there's no normal correct solutions to this problem. Can you help me on what's the best en shortest path in updating my current XBMC 9 to the new Dharma RC1?

Thanks!
**I take no responsibility for any problems you encounter, I am simply sharing what worked for me**

I have one problem after doing all this, but it's only Usplash (loading screen spinner instead of black screen or verbose boot) so I can live with it.

Which Ubuntu version are you running? If you have Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) you can do the following:

Upgrade to 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)
  • Install update-manager-core if it is not already installed:
    sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
  • edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal
  • Launch the upgrade tool:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.

After this is finished (took about 45min on my Revo 1600)
Upgrade to 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) using the same procedure as last step.

After this is done (another 45-60min,) you need to re-add the repository:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa

Then finish it up with
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get upgrade

Download the deb and install it:
Code:
wget http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/samba/libsmbclient_3.5.6~dfsg-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

And that's it.

Edit: This thread has information on the splash screen
Thanks a lot! I'm running Ubuntu 9 Karmic minimal.

I'll try your suggested steps since I don't care about the splash screen on boot.
Will my Aeon skin work with XBMC 10 btw? (Maybe a question I shouldn't ash here I know :confused2Smile
I was also running a Karmic minimal install, so it should work about the same for you.
If you're going for minimal hassle, you should try and stay on 10.04 and see if you can install the new libsmbclient, since there seem to be some remote issues in 10.10 (it runs 2 different drivers and can cause problem, apparently.)

I have a version of Aeon and I personally use Alaska, just be sure to download them from the addons section.
There is a solution! Although it is true, support for XBMC ended earlier this year, that hasn't stopped T3CH from developing new versions. I am happy to report that he has integrated the samba fix into his newest releases. If you search for this in google : "t3ch 30742", you will find a fully fixed version released Nov 28 2010 which works like a charm. No need to run down to my Win7 64-bit server in the basement and uninstall Windows Live Add-in Assistant like I have been doing for the past few weeks just to get SMB shares working again.

The one thing I have to say about it is that I had to install a completely fresh copy in a different directory in order to get it working. Then I copied over my sources.xml, and that worked. But copying over my complete UserData folder did not work, XMBC constantly hung. This could be a result of my constantly copying that dir every time I upgraded in the past, or it could be related to the latest version. At any rate, I got my network shares and just reran all of the scrapers to acquire the remaining info previously in the UserData dir. Am back working just like I was before.

Thanks,
DD.
gr8r-x Wrote:Basically, yes. You can either copy it to a thumb drive or scp it over. If you have access to a shell already, you can even just use wget (assuming you have the internet connected to it), as below;

Code:

All that does is download the .deb file, to where ever you are, then runs dpkg to install it. It will replace/upgrade the older version. Reboot and hey presto - should work.

AWSOME! works on XBMC Dharma RC2...
arnifa Wrote:AWSOME! works on XBMC Dharma RC2...

Good to hear! It would be nice if they included this one file before launching the stable release. Guess I'll just add it to the list of "things to do after installing XBMC"...
gr8r-x Wrote:Good to hear! It would be nice if they included this one file before launching the stable release. Guess I'll just add it to the list of "things to do after installing XBMC"...

it is not in there, unfortunately, particularly because i do not succeed with the libsmbclient trick....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Conflict between XBMC SMB shares and Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant0