Download tool recommendation
I guess my questions/confusion comes in from the concept that it is like a forum in a sense. You can post messages. I presume those messages are not NZB files, but structured more like a thread, and NZB files are just attachments.

I'm downloading SABnzbdPlus as we speak, and registering at NZBmatrix. I'm gonna try to find a free trial that I can play with to understand better.

My apologies for being thickheaded. I'm a visual learner, and I didn't want to just throw money at something without knowing about it first.
Don't take my use of the word confusion as an insult I don't think your stupid Smile

I can understand what you mean but each site is different, you can actually post NZBs on NZBMatrix but most of it is automatically done as it is on most sites

NZBMatrix wont actually allow you to do anything but download nzb files in zips as a free user neither will it allow you to grab old posts

This is why I said also take a look at NZB.SU because on there its all free and you will have access to a RSS for your cart which SABnzbd can monitor any movie tv you add to your cart on there SABnzbd will collect for you and download it

Forgot to mention NZB.SU also integrates into Sabnzbd which allows to just click the sab icon on their site and it goes straight to sabnzbd and then downloads, very easy to setup doesn't seem to work in firefox but google chrome it works fine so probably IE would work also
DejaVu77 Wrote:It's called port throttling or closing. If an ISP chooses not to allow any access to ports 119, 443 and 563 how would you ACCESS Usenet?

I'm guessing your coming over from Torrents? Good call!
A NZB file is similar to a Torrent. It tells the client what Servers to access the information or files and downloads it. The main difference is you are downloading off a Usenet Server (hence the monthly cost) which is always super fast speeds and not another Torrent Client (no need for seeding etc).

The NZB is added to a client (SabNZDb being the best one without question - others are available like Grabit or Newzleecher) much the same way your uTorrent would handle a torrent file.

NZBMatrix indexes usenet and creates the NZB Files. If you want you can access usenet yourself and hunt for the stuff, but being new is very likely to take ages! (http://www.binsearch.info/groups.php - Good luck with that!). I personally am a member of 4 of the large indexing sites. There are loads out there, I went by reputation.

Welcome to Usenet, once your in, you'll never look back! Ask about!

No thats not it at all.. so many children these days..

The deal was every ISP (and most of the "supersize" software/hardware companies) used to carry some portion of usenet (even the dreaded and hated AOL carried all of usenet)
But... as the web became more and more the "goto" destination.. usenet (other than the binary groups) became less and less relevant... at the same time the emolawyers from Big Media started saber rattling at the ISPs and saying that "usenet" by nature (since you are downloading from ISP owned/operated servers) is not covered by safe harbor for ISP rules.. as its A) trivial to disable offending groups B) there is no reasonable expectation that alt.bin.warez.microsoft is "legal" files

Couple the legal threats with the low usage and large bandwidth requirements/storage space requirements and most ISP's just turned off Usenet and pointed the few customers who asked about it at google to find an alternative.. some of the ISPS chose instead to go with external hosting "deals" (such as with giganews and the like)

I am sure a FEW ISPs tried throttling/blocking of large uploads.. but most of that was on the "upload" side of things not downloading, or was merely caught in the early wave of OMGS WE HAVE OVERSOLD OUR CAPACITY JUST BLOCK EVERYTHING BUT port 80! (it totally happened!)
I'm currently reading this: http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide_QuickStart. Combined with all your info, I am getting this. Obviously once I go hands on, I'll understand even better, and have more questions, most likely.
OK, I'm paid up and good to go. I was hoping for something like eztvrss for znb..and I think I found http://www.mytvnzbrss.com/, so I may not need nzbmatrix. Do you guys have any suggestions, or something I may be overlooking?
If your interested in TV Series then your best friend is SickBeard especially if your using XBMC SickBeard works with Sabnzbd

SickBeard works with NZB.SU but also Wombles Index, Bin-req, EZTV@BT-CHAT which require no registration or anything

http://sickbeard.com/
Nevermind...
I guess you worked it out then just add a show folder and it does the rest just make sure you have a custom quality set other wise you might get the wrong quality and you can select all those indexing sites I listed above as one might get stuff quicker than the other
do you know if there is localized material on usenet? I'm from italy, and even if i can use subs, i prefer stuff with italian audio....
+1 for Astraweb@96/y, sabnzbd and nzbmatrix. Definitely the way to go.

@sufreak: what do you need rss for? Remote downloading? If so, sabnzbd can be accessed from wherever you are, and even through mobile apps like mynzb on ios.

@ziolele: on nzbmatrix, there's a language filter, and in some indexers like binnews.in too. But I think there are not that many Italian dubbed movies on usenet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Download tool recommendation0