Download tool recommendation
I am looking for a good download tool, but here are the specifics of what I am hoping to find.

I want to download from one click hosting providers, where you can put in premium info. I like mdownloader and jdownloader, but they lack the ability to parse through an RSS feed.

I'd like to be able to load an RSS feed from a site, and have it find/load a link from a specific file hosting.

Perhaps this doesn't exist... I am looking for a way to automate my downloads without getting too much extra junk, and without going BT.
Switch to Usenet (Newsgroups) then your be able to do what you want plus its probably one of the safest ways to do anything especially if you go encrypted

Theres a small charge a month I pay $9.99 for unlimited+encrypted

Your then be able to use apps like SABnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato plus others
Do you have a good intro guide or anything you could recommend? I've used it before. (I know google is the answer to all, but I thought you may have some good info to point me to).
To be honest there really isn't that much to it join a news provider use an indexing site to get NZB files send NZBs to your news client and bobs your uncle, very similar to torrents in as much as you only need to grab a single file

There is a couple of things you need to know about to make a choice in providers one is retention and the other is completion the later really isn't much of an issue anymore not with a good provider

Its also handy to know what Pars are but even thats now pretty much taken care of buy most clients like Sabnzbd which I would recommend using

If you want guides take a look at the links below

http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/
http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide
http://www.newsgroupservers.net/

If you sign up to a provider do it from a referral link on "newsgroupreviews" because your get a much better deal

Theres a few indexing sites that work well with SABnzbd and the other apps I mentioned and that also support RSS, NZB.SU (free), NZBs.org (free currently closed to new members keep an eye on it), nzbmatrix (free or small fee for all features), newzbin (free or small fee for all features) the last three allow you to save searches which then have their own RSS feed

Plus there are other free indexing search engines that have RSS and also work with SABconnect++
Where do you find a $10 rate? I'd like to try this out. I found a free 2 week offer from Binverse, but the regular rates are steeper. I'll check out those links. I'm completely new to newsgroups, so my apologies for sounding stupid.
http://www.newshosting.com/en/index.php?

check out news hosting they have a 10 dollar plan 50gb plus roll over. plus two weeks or 30gb for free. I am using astraweb its 11 unlimited per month special going on right now.
Astraweb has a $96/year deal - highly recommended. And then...

NZBmatrix + SABnzbd makes it stupidly simple. NZBmatrix publishes an RSS feed, and SABnzbd can use that to pull stuff automatically.

There is also a lot of integration between SAB and NZBmatrix now that helps you auto-categorize stuff, even when you download manually (e.g. when I downloading something, it gets auto-sorted into apps/games/movies/tv categories).

SABnzbd also auto-extracts files for you (once it's done the download, it will extract everything, move it to a "Complete" folder, and optionally even send you an email).

The email notifications are great for things like TV episodes -- I just let SAB run, and I get an email whenever it downloads the latest episodes of all my shows.
Yeah don't go with Binverse

As I said above go to newsgroupreviews the first link I posted they have a few around the $10 mark but make sure you link from their site otherwise you wont get any of the special discount prices

Also make sure you look at retention which is the amount of days they keep content on their servers

I'm actually with Supernews it has slightly less retention than some at 500 days but its actually Giganews its how they sell their lower level products, giganews is probably considered one of the best so you get the same level of service at a lower price

Personally I would start of with something simple like SABnzbd and use it with NZB.SU it has RSS including one for your cart which SABnzbd could filter it will also work with SickBeard, CouchPotato
Ok, I'm trying to get this into my thick head.
To review... I need a subscription to a newsgroup, and a newsreader.
Different newsgroups have different plans, retention rates, etc. (I personally need a minimal retention rate).

SABnzbd is a newsreader. It also supports NZB files, correct? Or only NZB files? Do I then need a newsreader to browse usenet?

What is nzbmatrix? It says it is an index, but doesnt the newsgroup provide searching/indexing?

Does each newsgroup have rss feeds? (or are they called NZB feeds?) Or is that something I have to find?
For TV shows, do I find a newsgroup thread (right term?) for each show, or is there a single thread that I then have to parse?
Go to nzbmatrix
Download (legal) nzb
Add nzb to sabnzbd (which you have configured with your server details)
Wait
Watch video

Sabnzbd does not allow you to 'browse' usenet. Go to an index site (nzbmatrix) for this.
I suggest you read this before asking any more questions
This is why I said keep it simple at first get the basics which arn't hard

Join a newserver they will give you a server address and password that's all they do no good for anything else Smile

Sabnzbd is used purely for downloading sorting using NZBs which can be loaded a number of ways

Indexing sites in simple terms list everything that's on newsgroups go and join nzbmatrix its free to have a look and then your understand how it works

Don't get complicated until you have the basics

You should also take a look at NZB.SU as they have an RSS for your Cart which Sabnzbd can monitor anything you add to your cart gets picked up by Sabnzbd
Thanks for all the assistance. I read the wiki, and it all makes a bit more sense. A few more questions.

1. I read that a bunch of ISPs shutdown access to Usenet a few years back. I presume that doesn't mean all the different newservers, just the ISPs newserver, correct?

Other than Sabnzbd, which is only for nzb files, whats a good client to use? (Or am I totally misunderstanding that I should use nzbmatrix instead of a client?
sufreak Wrote:1. I read that a bunch of ISPs shutdown access to Usenet a few years back. I presume that doesn't mean all the different newservers, just the ISPs newserver, correct?
seriously, how could an ISP shut down usenet?
Quote:Other than Sabnzbd, which is only for nzb files, whats a good client to use? (Or am I totally misunderstanding that I should use nzbmatrix instead of a client?
nzbmatrix is like google for nzbs files that you find and then throw into your client, like sabnzbd
sufreak Wrote:a bunch of ISPs shutdown access to Usenet a few years back.

mr.sparkle Wrote:seriously, how could an ISP shut down usenet?
It's called port throttling or closing. If an ISP chooses not to allow any access to ports 119, 443 and 563 how would you ACCESS Usenet?

sufreak Wrote:Other than Sabnzbd, which is only for nzb files, whats a good client to use? (Or am I totally misunderstanding that I should use nzbmatrix instead of a client?

I'm guessing your coming over from Torrents? Good call!
A NZB file is similar to a Torrent. It tells the client what Servers to access the information or files and downloads it. The main difference is you are downloading off a Usenet Server (hence the monthly cost) which is always super fast speeds and not another Torrent Client (no need for seeding etc).

The NZB is added to a client (SabNZDb being the best one without question - others are available like Grabit or Newzleecher) much the same way your uTorrent would handle a torrent file.

NZBMatrix indexes usenet and creates the NZB Files. If you want you can access usenet yourself and hunt for the stuff, but being new is very likely to take ages! (http://www.binsearch.info/groups.php - Good luck with that!). I personally am a member of 4 of the large indexing sites. There are loads out there, I went by reputation.

Welcome to Usenet, once your in, you'll never look back! Ask about!
sufreak Wrote:Thanks for all the assistance. I read the wiki, and it all makes a bit more sense. A few more questions.

1. I read that a bunch of ISPs shutdown access to Usenet a few years back. I presume that doesn't mean all the different newservers, just the ISPs newserver, correct?

Other than Sabnzbd, which is only for nzb files, whats a good client to use? (Or am I totally misunderstanding that I should use nzbmatrix instead of a client?

Never heard of ISP's shutting down usenet in fact many provide their own access

Not sure why you getting so confused by this, indexing sites catalogue everything that's on usenet without one you cant find anything

Sabnzbd is a news client all it does is download what ever your after this is all any client does without one you cant download anything

Go to your indexing site find what your looking for click on it sabnzbd downloads it for you

Indexing sites contain NZB files which when loaded into sabnzbd tell it where to download what your grabbing, movie, tv or something else, similar to getting a torrent file from a tracker loading it into a torrent client which then downloads it for you

You said in your first post you want to automate everything you will need Sabnzbd for this as it integrates with the indexing sites people have recommended and with other software that can look for movies and tv shows for you plus every page in its configuration has a help button which tells how to set it up, also news group reviews has guides to setting it up with most news providers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Download tool recommendation0