• 15(current)
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library
Sorry to distrurb everyone with a question that might be answered elsewhere but I have seen a lot of concerns on Eden vs Dharma and using central SQL as in this thread. Are there any changes needed when moving to Eden or can I keep the db as is and just upgrade? You seem all to have tested it out but it sems information is not concistent so if you could please just give me your view on the upgrade and impact (if any) it would be excellent.

I have a central sql db running since way back and 7 devices connected to it and a WHS running it all. It works excellent and i do not want to disturb it as all watched flags, plots, trailers, ... you name it - works like a charm!
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...v10_to_v11
Ned Scott Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...v10_to_v11

Thanks for the link and based upon that it seems I need to do very little apart from granting to make it work. Is that also your own experience of this upgrade?
Hmm, you know, I've cleared my DB and such so often that can't remember if I tried a dharma to eden MySQL update. Like it says in the notice box, you can play it extra safe by doing an export to an XML file, then reimport on a fresh MySQL DB. Some people haven't had issues with it, while others did. Not sure if that's user error, a MySQL server side issue (different server software, maybe?), or something else all together.

In any case, it's always a good idea to backup to an XML file (the single file option) when upgrading. We are still in beta.
<videolibrary>
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</videolibrary>

Is setting this in Advancedsettings.xml safe? Will it wipe out the whole DB if the NAS is incidentally disconnected at the time of library update? Are there any checks before cleaning all out by mistake?
Question for the group...

Current Config:
WHS running MySQL and hosting Video and Audio
Office XBMC linked to MySQL
Family Room XBMC linked to MySQL

For the Family Room XBMC, i have two profiles. 1) My own (Adult), and 2) Child

The Child profile is pulling over the Movies and TV Shows (TV is fine)....I'd like to not pull over those Movies, as i have a separate directory on the WHS for childrens movies.

Is there a way to do this? Thru AdvancedSettings?

Thanks in advance
hydog Wrote:Question for the group...

Current Config:
WHS running MySQL and hosting Video and Audio
Office XBMC linked to MySQL
Family Room XBMC linked to MySQL

For the Family Room XBMC, i have two profiles. 1) My own (Adult), and 2) Child

The Child profile is pulling over the Movies and TV Shows (TV is fine)....I'd like to not pull over those Movies, as i have a separate directory on the WHS for childrens movies.

Is there a way to do this? Thru AdvancedSettings?

Thanks in advance

One way to do it would be two databases, one for each profile.

This is where the <name> tag in the mysql advancedsettings comes in (keep meaning to make that section on the wiki how-to..)

In the userdata folder there will be folders for the additional profile that is its own "userdata" folder, where you can put another advancedsettings.xml file. Throw a <name>DB Name</name> tag in one or both to have them point to different MySQL DBs, and then follow the wiki instructions like normal, but for each profile.
Ned Scott Wrote:One way to do it would be two databases, one for each profile.

This is where the <name> tag in the mysql advancedsettings comes in (keep meaning to make that section on the wiki how-to..)

In the userdata folder there will be folders for the additional profile that is its own "userdata" folder, where you can put another advancedsettings.xml file. Throw a <name>DB Name</name> tag in one or both to have them point to different MySQL DBs, and then follow the wiki instructions like normal, but for each profile.

Thanks -- to clarify one thing -- you can't separate the movie from the tv show video database right...guess it wouldn't matter, but just working to get my head around this and start figuring it out
Hi all,

Can anyone help me solve my issue ...

I have my main xbmc setup on a Acer Aspire Revo running Windows 7 with 2GB Ram. I am running Windows MySql server on that machine and configured my advancedsettings.xml accordingly.

I also have 2 ATV2 devices around the house with advancedsettings.xml setup to use the same shared database.

Now the problem is on the main machine it takes about 2 minutes to view my movies folder which currently contains about 1400 movies.

On the ATV devices it takes about 30 seconds to view the same folder ! .. I would have expected the local machine to be far faster...

To be honest the ATV devices took just as long before I used the mysql database at all so it appears using the mysql hasn't slowed them down at all but the machine hosting the database is now 10 times slower !

I have ran all the indexing updates to my database advised on this thread and also added the skip-name-resolve to the my.ini file.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Please excuse my stupidity but what's the reason to use MySQL?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
hydog Wrote:Thanks -- to clarify one thing -- you can't separate the movie from the tv show video database right...guess it wouldn't matter, but just working to get my head around this and start figuring it out

Correct. Both are in the video DB.
patseguin Wrote:Please excuse my stupidity but what's the reason to use MySQL?

From the XBMC Wiki:

If you have more than one XBMC device on your local network then you might want to synchronize them using a MySQL library. Using a MySQL library allows you to store information about your whole video library in a central database, so that multiple XBMC devices can access the same information at the same time. This gives you the ability to:

•Share watched and unwatched status for your media on all devices
•Stop watching a movie or TV show in one room then finish watching it in another room automatically
•Only one library to maintain for all devices
patseguin Wrote:Please excuse my stupidity but what's the reason to use MySQL?

And sql-lite doesn't like concurrent users
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
I'm confused as to why XBMC using MySQL can't distinguish that different clients might need different sources (some shared, some separate). I have 3 sources, Movies, TV and Other. In one room I want to view all 3 sources but in the other I only want Movies and TV. Right now data from all 3 sources is stored in the database and shows up on both clients even if the "other" source is not included on that client. Wouldn't it be a fairly simple query to say only show movies where the source is in my source list? I haven't poked around in the DB but surely the source is stored in the movies table?
Chimera2345 Wrote:I'm confused as to why XBMC using MySQL can't distinguish that different clients might need different sources (some shared, some separate). I have 3 sources, Movies, TV and Other. In one room I want to view all 3 sources but in the other I only want Movies and TV. Right now data from all 3 sources is stored in the database and shows up on both clients even if the "other" source is not included on that client. Wouldn't it be a fairly simple query to say only show movies where the source is in my source list? I haven't poked around in the DB but surely the source is stored in the movies table?

The sources file isn't used at all for the actual video library (local or MySQL). It's kind of like a source just for file mode/view, then it gets scanned into the DB with the file location. This is why changing your sources won't update the library automatically.

For a MySQL setup, XBMC is using the MySQL DB exactly as it would for a local DB. That's why in the wiki guide it says to have all sources you want to use on MySQL to be sharable to all XBMC devices that are using MySQL.

You could use Profiles to switch to a local DB for your local source, though. I have something kind of like that for my laptop and iPhone (with XBMC). Or have just the default profile, but use smart playlists to filter out certain content for certain devices (using path matching).
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library1