• 6(current)
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library
The error should point you in the right direction....

<host>127.0.0.1<host>

needs to be <host>127.0.0.1</host>
freehood4all Wrote:The error should point you in the right direction....

<host>127.0.0.1<host>

needs to be <host>127.0.0.1</host>

Blush Feeling extra smart now. Thanks for the slice of humble pie.

Looking forward to getting all this set up today

So I'm guessing speed of DB server is fairly important here? If I have time I'll try a test of MySQL on my media server and MySQL in my VMWare lab. DB disk is 640GB WD 7200 for my media server and 8x 15k SAS drives in my Lab, so it should be a very noticeable difference if there is one.

Is Movies--Actors the most intensive DB View for VideoDB? I don't have music on my server yet
FreakinAye Wrote:Blush Feeling extra smart now. Thanks for the slice of humble pie.

Looking forward to getting all this set up today

So I'm guessing speed of DB server is fairly important here? If I have time I'll try a test of MySQL on my media server and MySQL in my VMWare lab. DB disk is 640GB WD 7200 for my media server and 8x 15k SAS drives in my Lab, so it should be a very noticeable difference if there is one.

Is Movies--Actors the most intensive DB View for VideoDB? I don't have music on my server yet

Speed of the server is indeed important. I had mysql set up on my Thecus N4100pro nas and the delay was significant. I then put mysql on a Zotac Nd-22 machine which has a Celeron 2300 and speed is much faster now. Make sure you create indices in mysql to help speed things up.
Wow adding my library of TV shows (61 shows, 3k episodes) took about 1/20th of the time running on the Linux VM instead of the local media server. It blazed through. I didn't even catch the name of some shows before they were complete.

Contrast this with the local MySQL install and watching the progress bar, it was moving slow enough that I actually had to look if it was for the whole import or just the show import.

So with local storage of all images for my media do I have to do anything fancy with symlinks?
Anyone have any quick ideas on why I would be getting movie duplicates on PC "B" and not on PC "A". When I try and play both the movies one plays while the other does not.
Krazypoloc Wrote:Anyone have any quick ideas on why I would be getting movie duplicates on PC "B" and not on PC "A". When I try and play both the movies one plays while the other does not.

Try cleaning your library on PC B...
tboooe Wrote:Speed of the server is indeed important. I had mysql set up on my Thecus N4100pro nas and the delay was significant. I then put mysql on a Zotac Nd-22 machine which has a Celeron 2300 and speed is much faster now. Make sure you create indices in mysql to help speed things up.

been trying to find a consolidated list of recommended indices that should be created .. can you or anyone list them? one of the first posts in the thread has a couple listed but they are for music .. i'm more interested in movie/tv ones .. scanned through the rest of the post but no dice
Working quite fast. Movies--Actors took <8 seconds for 323 movies.

pletopia Wrote:been trying to find a consolidated list of recommended indices that should be created .. can you or anyone list them? one of the first posts in the thread has a couple listed but they are for music .. i'm more interested in movie/tv ones .. scanned through the rest of the post but no dice

There was one other found in this thread for <videodatabase>
ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX ix_idFile(idFile);
pletopia Wrote:been trying to find a consolidated list of recommended indices that should be created .. can you or anyone list them? one of the first posts in the thread has a couple listed but they are for music .. i'm more interested in movie/tv ones .. scanned through the rest of the post but no dice

I would like to see this as well if someone knows.
tboooe Wrote:Try cleaning your library on PC B...
I tried cleaning, removing the source then cleaning, adding the source and rescanning and it didn't work. PC A is pointing to my SMB share of /Media/Music and PC B was as well. I created another share straight to /Music and now the duplications are gone. I don't know what would cause this....

Everything else is working fantastically though as I have been using this for a few weeks and finally got everything ironed out yesterday with help from this thread and freehood4all. I also moved my Thumbnails folder onto my server and symlinked every client back to it as well, that works flawlessly even over wireless with no slowdown or lag issues at all. I still have a 5-10 second delay when accessing my movies so I will have to see about optimizing my MySQL database for that.
Krazypoloc Wrote:I tried cleaning, removing the source then cleaning, adding the source and rescanning and it didn't work. PC A is pointing to my SMB share of /Media/Music and PC B was as well. I created another share straight to /Music and now the duplications are gone. I don't know what would cause this....

Everything else is working fantastically though as I have been using this for a few weeks and finally got everything ironed out yesterday with help from this thread and freehood4all. I also moved my Thumbnails folder onto my server and symlinked every client back to it as well, that works flawlessly even over wireless with no slowdown or lag issues at all. I still have a 5-10 second delay when accessing my movies so I will have to see about optimizing my MySQL database for that.

Glad it worked for you. I am curious about your Thumbnails folder performance. You mentioned that you dont have any slowdown or lag. Do you mind if I ask what is the performance specs of the machine hosting your Thumbnails folder and mysql?

For me, accessing my movies and tv shows from my wireless client is fine though not perfect. I cant quickly scroll through my video libraries quickly without there being a bit of jerkiness. Accessing my music library is a total nightmare. It takes at least 12-15 seconds. What I am trying to figure it is if this delay is caused by the performance capabilities of my client or server or is it because of my wireless n network. I dont think its my wireless since I am able to stream 1080p videos just fine. My "server" is a ZOTAC ND-22 running a Celeron CU-2300 processor. My client is an Acer 3700 running an Atom 525 processor.
tboooe Wrote:Glad it worked for you. I am curious about your Thumbnails folder performance. You mentioned that you dont have any slowdown or lag. Do you mind if I ask what is the performance specs of the machine hosting your Thumbnails folder and mysql?

For me, accessing my movies and tv shows from my wireless client is fine though not perfect. I cant quickly scroll through my video libraries quickly without there being a bit of jerkiness. Accessing my music library is a total nightmare. It takes at least 12-15 seconds. What I am trying to figure it is if this delay is caused by the performance capabilities of my client or server or is it because of my wireless n network. I dont think its my wireless since I am able to stream 1080p videos just fine. My "server" is a ZOTAC ND-22 running a Celeron CU-2300 processor. My client is an Acer 3700 running an Atom 525 processor.

Sure...I will do some more extensive testing when I get home and compare my findings with yours. If you could make a little bulleted list of library items and its associated initial load time as well as the smoothness once you are in.

My PC's/Server are as follows...

Server
AMD X2 4400 (2.2Ghz)
2GB Memory
Hardware RAID5 (8x 1.5TB Seagate drives w/high point PCI-Express card)
GB LAN
Server 2003 x32
Switch
Layer3 HP Procurve 8 port GB

Router and main AP
Asus RT-N16 Running Tomato
Rosewill 3X +3DBi gain antenna array
WIFI Bridges X2
The WIFI AP's are used for "bridge" mode, effectively bridging the WIFI to the LAN ports on the AP. They are not repeating the WIFI at all, just send/receive to the main AP (RT-N16).

Bedroom Asus RT-N12 Running Tomato in Bridged mode+Dual 7DBi Gain antennas
Study Asus RT-N12 Running Tomato in Bridged mode+Dual 7DBi Gain antennas

Living room PC
Connected via GB LAN
C2D@3Ghz
4GB DDr2 800
2x 9600GT
W7 Ultimate X64

Bedroom PC
AMD 7750BE (I think)@2.8(stock)
3GB generic DDR2 (1x3 sticks)
ATI 4550
Connected to Bedroom WIFI Bridge (RT-N12)

Study PC
i7 860@4Ghz
4GB DDR3 1600
ATI 5850
Connected to either Study WIFI Bridge or 50ft LAN cable while gaming for latency purposes

I will report back tonight or tomorrow with my findings for each system.
Krazypoloc Wrote:Sure...I will do some more extensive testing when I get home and compare my findings with yours. If you could make a little bulleted list of library items and its associated initial load time as well as the smoothness once you are in.

My PC's/Server are as follows...

Server
AMD X2 4400 (2.2Ghz)
2GB Memory
Hardware RAID5 (8x 1.5TB Seagate drives w/high point PCI-Express card)
GB LAN
Server 2003 x32
Switch
Layer3 HP Procurve 8 port GB

Router and main AP
Asus RT-N16 Running Tomato
Rosewill 3X +3DBi gain antenna array
WIFI Bridges X2
The WIFI AP's are used for "bridge" mode, effectively bridging the WIFI to the LAN ports on the AP. They are not repeating the WIFI at all, just send/receive to the main AP (RT-N16).

Bedroom Asus RT-N12 Running Tomato in Bridged mode+Dual 7DBi Gain antennas
Study Asus RT-N12 Running Tomato in Bridged mode+Dual 7DBi Gain antennas

Living room PC
Connected via GB LAN
C2D@3Ghz
4GB DDr2 800
2x 9600GT
W7 Ultimate X64

Bedroom PC
AMD 7750BE (I think)@2.8(stock)
3GB generic DDR2 (1x3 sticks)
ATI 4550
Connected to Bedroom WIFI Bridge (RT-N12)

Study PC
i7 860@4Ghz
4GB DDR3 1600
ATI 5850
Connected to either Study WIFI Bridge or 50ft LAN cable while gaming for latency purposes

I will report back tonight or tomorrow with my findings for each system.

Thank you for the response. It looks like all your devices are relatively higher powered than mine. I think thats my problem. My little Celeron and Atom processors just do not have the muscle. I will post my library access times once I get home.
tboooe Wrote:Thank you for the response. It looks like all your devices are relatively higher powered than mine. I think thats my problem. My little Celeron and Atom processors just do not have the muscle. I will post my library access times once I get home.

Alright did some more testing.... I have around 700 movies and 400 music artists with about 1000 albums and 38 TV Shows.

Living room PC
Music-> Selecting artists took 60 seconds
Once inside Artists it took 2 minutes for any artist selected

This is completely unacceptable performance for me. I am going to try and add some of the indexes to speed things up, if they don't speed up then I'll just remove the music DB from the advanced config file and call it a day.

Movies-> ~4 Seconds
Once selected there is absolutely no load speed for thumbnails or lag whatsoever. This is while displaying the "Tall" movie wall which IMO would be the most thumbnail and resource intensive as it is displaying 17 movies persistently.

TV Shows->Instantaneous no lag at all getting into the library or selecting/browsing any thumbnails. I have my library set to banner view.

Bedroom PC
Music->Same thing as above

Movies->Instantaneous no lag at all getting into the library or selecting/browsing any thumbnails. Same view as the PC in the Living Room.

TV Shows->Instantaneous same as above

Study PC (Over the WIFI bridge)
Music->Same thing as above

Movies->~4 Seconds
No lag at all selecting/browsing any thumbnails. Same view as the PC in the Living Room.

TV Shows->Instantaneous same as above

It should also be noted that I am running the latest stable release of XBMC and running the Alaska Revisited skin on all machines.

Also I seem to be getting dupes of Movies when they are scanned in.....grrr.....

Oh also I am using the XBMC Remote for Android on 2 phones and a Nook Color to do all my navigation. Strangely enough I do not have any of the lag for music when I browse the music library on the phones but I get a little lag on the Nook Color. This is very odd as AFAIK it is using the same DB connections as the main XBMC interface.
Alright guys I got it all figured out (famous last words). Smile

This is what I did and my music library is almost instantaneous. Commands to be pasted are in bold.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron>[b]mysql -u root -p xbmc_music[/b]
Enter password: ********
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 3
Server version: 5.1.41 Source distribution

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> [b]CREATE INDEX test_idx ON song(idAlbum);[/b]
Query OK, 21514 rows affected (1.50 sec)
Records: 21514  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> [b]alter table song add index idArtist(idArtist);[/b]
Query OK, 21514 rows affected (0.56 sec)

mysql> [b]alter table song add index idGenre(idGenre);[/b]
Query OK, 21514 rows affected (0.63 sec)

Thats for the music bit....I then added...
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron>[b]mysql -u root -p xbmc_video[/b]
Enter password: ********
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 19
Server version: 5.1.41 Source distribution

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> [b]ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX ix_idFile(idFile);[/b]
Query OK, 680 rows affected (0.30 sec)
Records: 680  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> [b]ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX idMovie(idMovie);[/b]
Query OK, 690 rows affected (0.16 sec)
Records: 690  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> [b]ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX idFile(idFile);[/b]
Query OK, 690 rows affected (0.11 sec)
Records: 690  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

I went to my bedroom system which is over WIFI and browsed to music, only too a second or two. Once inside music there is no delay selecting artists or albums. I queued up a high bitrate lossless (The Pacific Soundtrack) album to test the stability and speed and let it play. Then I went back to the root XBMC menu and went into movies, again only a second or two delay, I browsed movies without any issues, went back to TV Shows, ect, and back and forth without a single issue.

Hope this helps!

Also remember the commands above will only work if you have your mysql configured in your system path.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library1