• 23(current)
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library
I have set up a shared database with
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.37, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 6.2,
and
First Device Media-1:
XBMC (13.1 Git:f2acae7).
Platform: x86 Linux 64-bit
Using Release XBMC x64 build, compiled Jun6 2014 by GCC 4.8.1 for x86 Linux 64-bit 3.11.10

second device Media-2:
XBMC (14.0-ALPHA1 Git:201407162054-7eed7e6).
Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
Using Release XBMC x64 build

this is the advancedsettings.xml file:
<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.0.0.10</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>password</pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.0.0.10</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>password</pass>
</musicdatabase>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

I started the first media center, (Media-1) and populated the DB, then started the second media center, (Media-2) and it created a new database called "MyVideos88", I tried adding a <NAME> tag to the advancedsettings.xml but it still creates a new DB with the <NAME> tag and "88" appended to the name.

any idea why, I know they are two different version and I am going to update to same versions now. Any other Ideas let me know.
13 and 14 use different database schemas. You need to run the same version on all clients for MySQL to work.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have updates to use 14.0 on both servers. They for some odd reason pull different ALPHA's from the PPA, however. they are still using two different Databases. The first is using XBMC-Videos88 and the second is using XBMC-Videos90. They are some how using the exact same Music Database.

How can I resolve this, do I have to get them to the exact same alpha?
Do they increment the number every alpha?

Again the advancedsettings.xml:
<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.0.0.10</host>
<port>3306</port>
<name>XBMC-Videos</name>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>password</pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>10.0.0.10</host>
<port>3306</port>
<name>XBMC-Music</name>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>password</pass>
</musicdatabase>
<videolibrary>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

media-2 is:

11:29:32 T:140243038746560 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (14.0-ALPHA5 Git:b5947af). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
11:29:32 T:140243038746560 NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x64 build

Media-1 is:
11:36:42 T:140371563239296 NOTICE: Starting XBMC (14.0-ALPHA1 Git:a891415). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
11:36:42 T:140371563239296 NOTICE: Using Release XBMC x64 build
I am just going to take it back to Gotham!
The database version changes during development. http://kodi.wiki/view/Database_version

You are using helix, you are helping development, but you risk breakage.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
that's brilliant, wish i would have seen it earlier. i thought the number was a glitch. perhaps I need to read the big giant bolded headers.
Hi, please can anyone help me?
I have 4 XBMC in my house they are running 13.2 version and same scraper for library. Drivers from server are as network once SMB:// .....

I have a Windows 7 computer running as server on IP 192.168.0.5 with 4 HDD drives. The server is not used for playing XBMC so only as a store station and on the server i have instaled MY SQL.

For first i wondering if i do this
1.Type in: CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc'; and press return
2.Type in: GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc'; and press returnr
no confirmation comes on the screen

On all firewalss i have opened the 3306 port

On all XBMC is copied as advancetsetings.xml in the user data of xbmc

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.000.005</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.000.005</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>
<videolibrary>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

Here i dont know if the password and user are right?

The xbmc library creates the NFO files to each movie

After copiyng the XML file to the user data and start XBMC - the XBMC is starting about one mini (logo gotham 13.2)

Library is empty and if i look on the mapped drive from the server there is no scraper for movies selected - so i selected the TVDB scaper it comes if i would scan the library - so yes but nothing happens
The files (movies) i can acces through the files in the XBMC so the SMB connection is working.

How can i test if the MYSQL server is running or how should i search the problem

My log file ist here https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztmasmh60kaqobw/xbmc.log?dl=0

Please apologize my English

1. Please don't do logs on dropbox, please use a paste site like pastebin
  2. IP addresses should be 192.168.0.5 not 192.168.000.005
  3. when you set up the xbmc user and password in mysql are you in the mysql prompt? ie did you Open the "MySQL Command Line Client" from the MySQL start menu?
  4. If you want to test that mysql is running on the server, go to a client and type in a terminal/console

mysql -h 192.168.0.5 -u xbmc -p

It should prompt you for a password which is xbmc
(2014-11-26, 00:24)nickr Wrote:
  1. Please don't do logs on dropbox, please use a paste site like pastebin
  2. IP addresses should be 192.168.0.5 not 192.168.000.005
  3. when you set up the xbmc user and password in mysql are you in the mysql prompt? ie did you Open the "MySQL Command Line Client" from the MySQL start menu?
  4. If you want to test that mysql is running on the server, go to a client and type in a terminal/console

mysql -h 192.168.0.5 -u xbmc -p

It should prompt you for a password which is xbmc

Hi Thank you for your answer, With terminal/console you mean the CMD?

It Works :-) I had 2 errors one was that I in the promt GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc'; forgot the ";"
second was the format of ip address should be as you write abow

One question, how can I use this on the Open elec and android devices? (I have two windows XBMC and one Android and one Open Elec)
You use it exactly the same on every platform. advancedsettings.xml - exactly the same format.
I have recently set up a MYSQL database running on a QNAP TS869L NAS and serving to a couple of Kodi installs on windows PCs. All is working fine, except for the fact that upon entering the Movies or TV shows nodes in Kodi, I get a delay of about 10 seconds before the library appears. And I get a slightly longer delay when I first launch Kodi. The delay is long enough to be annoying, given that it happens every time I go to browse the library (not just the first time).

My library has about 1200 movies, 200 tv show episodes.

Based on posts here, I have enabled query cache for the mysql database and it appears to be working. But doing so does not appear to have changed performance much.

Is there anything else that is relatively obvious I can do to speed things up?
Any ideas when the 'experimental' designation will be taken off of the wiki page for this feature? I'm still peri-mental, so I'm hesitant to try it, even though I have the need, and might have the skills.

(2012-11-12, 03:41)Ned Scott Wrote: It seems like the only people who bitch about the DB bump are those with R-Pis. I've said this before, and it fits here perfectly, so I'm just going to directly quote myself:

Quote:YOU ARE USING EXPERIMENTAL DEVELOPMENT BUILDS. The fact that ANYTHING works at all is something to be thankful for.

On top of that, you're using a totally new device for XBMC, so things are even more unstable than using a development build on a desktop. What did you expect to happen here?

If you change(upgrade) what version of XBMC you are using then you are the one who has caused the video db version to change and make things difficult. If you don't like it then stick with stable builds and don't buy things like the Raspberry Pi until there is a stable version for it. Stable builds only bump that video db about once a year, and that's only if you choose to upgrade to the new version. There's a reason we give big scary warnings to people about using development builds (wiki) and say that most people should stick with stable ones.

But wait, we're not done yet. The official XBMC MySQL (wiki) guide clearly states that, even using that feature with stable versions of XBMC, it's still considered experimental.

The fact that this set up hasn't burnt your house down and stolen your credit cards is a miracle.
@Jackanory, I wouldn't be concerned, many people people including me use MySQL on a daily basis.
I have a setup with 3 HTPC's, MySQL running successful from my Windows 7 HTPC with Gotham 13.0. After successful copy of advancedsettings.xml to my two "clients", one with Win7/Gotham13.0, other Android4.4.2/Gotham13.2, both clients successfully display my Movies and Series libraries. Trying to play any file from the library gives me an error "the file is no longer available". Playing it via UPnP works for the same vid via Videos > Files > UPnP.

Any advice on how to resolve this?
Is the path to the movie files exactly the same on all clients?
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library1